General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh Disaster

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 08:31

I have broken my knife which you may not use.

It is one of those double ended jobs from Lakeland.One end is a swinging peeler and the other is a lovely knife,just the right shape for just about everything. The end you are not using slides into the handle.

I use one all the time and am very possessiveabout them hence they are known as my knife which you may not use. Get through at least one a year so,at least, I have parts I can cobble together until I get a new one but I will fret until our mate brings me one tomorrow.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Mar 2013 08:42

I do feel for you,

I'm obsessive about my knifes, "have my own set" I have one thats only gets used on vegetables and a full set of professional chef's knifes that i hate it when i catch anyone using them mainly because OH never uses them on the correct chopping board and so they need sharpening again after shes used them But what really annoys me is if i see one in the dish washer or in the sink along with other utensils. :-P

Roy

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 08:54

We do have OHs professional set which just never sees the light of day but this one is something else.It does everything. Too much of everything usually!

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 4 Mar 2013 08:59

Know what you mean about knives. They are to be treasured and looked after and out of all the knives in the kitchen I think there's always a favourite. A good knife should last you a lifetime - which is why I'm curious to know how, or why, you get through one every year Sharron, are they not very strong, do the handles break?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Mar 2013 09:14

My veg and my chef's knifes are in use every day and my currant set has lasted 15 years now although the veg knife is looking a tad overworked i reckon its got another 10 years before it will need replacing

Roy

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 09:19

They are not very strong but bloody marvelous.

The handle is hollow to accomodate the end that is not in use so it splits.They are not proper cutlers knives but things probably put together in China and cost less than a fiver but they are the only peeler I can use any sense and the blade is just right for everything.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 4 Mar 2013 09:20

I have to keep buying new cutlery sets. We have hundreds of spoons and few knives and forks. My husband uses knives to cut cheese, so they break , ( we have several cheese knives, he can never be bothered to look for ), he can also never be bothered to use a knife when eating a meal so forks get used as knives to cut. As a result, they too break.

I have just bought myself a new set of chefs knives, I know they will be pretty safe as why use a nice sharp knife when you can use a table knife ?!!!

I still do rather favour " my little black knife " though, and it used to be my Mum's !!

M

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 09:27

I have several sets of cheap cutlery and a couple of sets of crockery at the moment because my dad takes the plates out and tips the leftovers in the bin, along with the odd but of cutlery. Bowls and plates come off the table on the wheelchair fairly often as well and it is so much cheaper to by a set of crockery than to buy individual pieces.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 4 Mar 2013 09:39

Aaah, so it's the hollow handles, NOW I understand :-) :-)
I like Lakeland, it has some amazing stuff. Recently I bought a clothes dryer (kind of an electric clothes horse) which has got to be one of my best purchases ever!

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 09:48

Lakeland are excellent.

It is not just the hollow handles.This handle is fine but I broke the knife in half so the handle will pair up with one I didn't break in half but may have taken the point off the knife.

I have a jar spannerfrom Lakeland which saves a lot of anger and frustration.It moves tight lids no trouble.

We do have an electric tin opener and jar opener for the old man but he can't see to use them at the moment, and a thing to crack eggs one handed. Good old Lakeland I say!

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 4 Mar 2013 09:59

Brilliant place, I love it, and their catalogues. I still use a jar opener I got before I was married, so coming up for 40 years ago, it came free with something I got in a market somewhere. I would be lost without it, and my electric can opener.

Oh and Sharron, the number of knives and forks I rescue from the bin .............. M

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 10:03

One of my sets of cheap crockery came from Scotts of Stowe,it is the one with the chickens on which means I have eight cups and saucers which I just know will never wear out!

They are a brilliant place too and not a bad place to go for a day out.

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 4 Mar 2013 10:07

By the eck Roy I had to double check then , I thought Itsmytelly has posted you sound just like him..lololol :-D :-D :-D

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 4 Mar 2013 10:07

I have my cup, he has his cup. So why does he always use mine ????? M

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 10:09

You choose:-

Because he can,

He forgot,

He didn't know,

He couldn't find his.

His was dirty.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 4 Mar 2013 10:09

No risk of ever getting my old man muddled with Roy or itsmytelly !!! M

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 4 Mar 2013 10:12

Most of the above Sharron, except his is the size of a bucket because he likes "a decent size cup of tea or coffee".

He spends half the day drinking the other half in the loo. M

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 10:21

We all have buckets here, which is why I know the little cups and saucers in the tea sets will not get used.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Mar 2013 10:21

We all have buckets here, which is why I know the little cups and saucers in the tea sets will not get used.

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 4 Mar 2013 10:35

Nice to know some things are safe, isn't it ? :-). M