General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you had to choose one TV programme

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Apr 2013 19:13

that you feel has had an influence on you during your life, what would it be?

For example.... when I was a teenager I watched 'The World at War', one episode on the Holocaust ( interviews with survivors) made a lasting impression.

But it could be a documentary or play ( say 'Cathy come home'), or a soap that has dealt with an issue that reflected something in your own life, perhaps which made you view a subject differently. Or a news report on injustice of some sort. Even a comedy series that made you think life was worth living still at a bad time.

(and yes I am trying to think of something to post to keep me away from commenting on the politically charged Mrs T thread lolol ) ;-) but also because Dan was asking me what I watched when I was his age :-D and we were talking about 'The Family' being really the forerunner of 'reality' tv.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 10 Apr 2013 20:03

I think Grange Hill was a bad influence on children. It seemed to be a turning point of the behaviour of school children.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Apr 2013 20:04

Cathy Come Home was a play, Rose. It made me cry.

That Was the Week That Was is one I remember that got me thinking about the world.

Monty Python I loved because it poked fun at daft "institutions".

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 10 Apr 2013 20:06

I'm trying to think of programmes i watched when I was a teenager and other than Only Fools and Horses..I can only think of Top Of The Pops and The Young Ones off the top of my head.........I'm sure I must've watched less trashy programmes.....or maybe not !!!! :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Apr 2013 20:08

Quite right Gwynne, I was going to put something else and then got waylaid, I shall amend!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Apr 2013 20:08

The Young Ones was a very accurate documentary based on my OH and his house mates when he was at UCL, Muffy.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 10 Apr 2013 20:09

Iol which one was he then Guinevere?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Apr 2013 20:12

Neil the hippy - still is.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Apr 2013 20:12

Z Cars, The Sweeney all Morecombe and Wise, Two Ronnies,
Sunday Night at the London Palladium and great excitement
when we started getting American programmes. Bonanza, High
Chaparral, Little House on the Prairie, goodness Rose you ain't
half got me thinking :-D

Emma :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Apr 2013 20:13

Was there ever a programme about a mum who always had to stop what she was doing because she had a hungry teenager prowling ?

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 10 Apr 2013 20:13

Awww Neil was sweet....as long as it wasn't Rik ...*shudders*

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Apr 2013 20:15

Jointly

BBC 1970 Roads to Freedom (Jean Paul Sartre)

This wonderful series is now locked up in the National Film Archive and show to a chose few at spasmodic intervals. The BBC insists that it is too expensive to put on DVD but manage the trick ok with all their other drivel ...

The Boys From the Blackstuff (Alan Bleasdale)

Given the hoopla and such next Wednesday I would have thought that a reshowing of this on BBC1 (all of it) would remind us that not everybody "got on" in Thatcher's Britain. Especially Yosser Hughes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CRXnO9v0sA

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Apr 2013 20:17

Why can't I choose just one :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Apr 2013 20:19

The documentary I was going to mention was 'Johny go home" ... "a two-part investigation of the dangers facing teenagers who leave home for the bright lights of London." 1975.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Apr 2013 20:48

When The Boat Comes In, Jean Heywood played the mother
and James Bolam was also in it, a period drama. Does anyone
remember it?

Emma

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Apr 2013 20:50

Ah yes, I remember that.

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Apr 2013 20:52

Emma I remember the theme song to it lol I think that was as far as I ever got with it :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Apr 2013 20:53

I thought Jean Heywood was a fantastic actress.

I Cladius was another of my favourites with the fantastic
Derek Jacobi.

Emma

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Apr 2013 21:14

I Claudius for me too!

I was captivated by Derek Jacobi's performance, and I have made a point of seeing him in theatre several times. It also instilled a fascination with ancient Rome and have read tons of fact and fiction on it since!

Another that springs to mind is 'Threads' - aired about 1983?? I saw about half an hour - it scared me witless and couldn't watch any more. Still haven't plucked up the courage to watch the DVD :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Apr 2013 21:36

Like you Sheila my interest in Rome grew more from this programme,
went and bought the VHS tapes of I Cladius and never got fed up
watching it over and over again.

Emma :-)