General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joy of discovering the Snipping Tool

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 May 2013 14:44

Have certs to teacher older people IT basic programs and web usage. These days experimenting with all the ever changing gizmos & gadjets is a case of needs must.

Trying to explain a website problem this morning needed a screenshot emailed to prove I do know what I'm talking about. Old grey matter couldn't remember how to do it. My guiding angel on my side - found the easy peasy accessory program "Snipping Tool"

What a doddle - a 2 min job to cut the relevant section or even the whole web page. Name and save. Attach to a normal email.

Just sent of several emails to the site.

Thought - Useful for GR members to visually to show GR what they are experiencing with the site from their own computer

:-) :-) :-)

Edit: A reminder from wise ones - Sorry but I forgot to mention it is only available from windows 7 & 8

Adeline

Adeline Report 22 May 2013 14:54

The snipping tool is very useful for cutting and saving information on family from online historical newspapers.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 May 2013 15:13

It is only available from Windows 7 onwards and a vast number of members are running older versions, particularly XP.

However, the trusty old PrtSc function is always available isn't it?

jax

jax Report 22 May 2013 15:23

Thanks for the info Errol...I know nothing about computers and have been shown a few things recently about the snipping tool and how to change the format of a pic ect.....I have windows 7 so it did'nt occur to me it was'nt available to all.

Maybe NS should of mentioned that

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 May 2013 15:24

I think perhaps a 'sniping tool' might be more useful on this site :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 May 2013 15:27

lmao very very good lolol

Jax if you ever want some tips about working with images etc give me a shout (have worked as a graphic designer as well as IT consultant)

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 May 2013 15:34

Adeline - thks for that great tip - never gave it a thought.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 May 2013 15:51

NanaSue maybe members with an older OS would appreciate you giving advice on using PrtSC in a similar way. Could be quite useful. Also some may not be familiar with the Snipping Tool so some advice on that would be most welcome too.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 22 May 2013 16:10

PrtSC? What's that?
I use the snipping tool but prefer The GRAB on the Mac!

Watch out Erroll, I am into grabbing and snipping but I am rubbish at topiary :-D :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 22 May 2013 16:14

OK! You lot - clever clogs the lot of you lol! - but where do I find such a tool....hides in shame!

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 22 May 2013 16:23

I have Vista and have just checked if "Snipping tool" is there, and it is - it works. I have just snipped your Avatar Errol as a test.

GP

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 22 May 2013 16:26

The snipping tool is available on Windows 7 & 8 and Apple Mac only.

On a windows PC it's found in the Start Menu ( or at least mine is)
On a Mac, it's called Grab and is found in Applications

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 22 May 2013 16:30

Yes - My Snipping tool is in the start menu as well .(Windows Vista)

GP

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 May 2013 16:33

Snipping Tool didn't ship with all versions of Vista but it is available with most. However, it can be found on your Start menu under Accessories.

PrtSc is a function on one of the keys on your keyboard - usually towards the top right of the keyboard. It can be used to "grab" your whole screen or just one window.

GeordiePride I hope you are not infringing my copyright lol

Joeva

Joeva Report 22 May 2013 16:36

I find the snipping tool invaluable if I come across something that I can't download.

For instance old photographs of streets where ancestors lived, e.g I have a photo from 1890s where my gg grandfather lived. :-)

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 22 May 2013 16:39

No infringing intended Errol - your copyright is still intact. lol

GP

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 May 2013 16:41

If you are running a version of Vista other than Home Basic and can't find the Snipping Tool it may be that you haven't activated it.

If that is the case then open "Program and Features" in "Control Panel".
On the left hand side of the window that opens click (once) "Turn Windows features on or off".
You may have to then click Continue if UAC (User Account Control) prompts you.
Scroll down the list until you see "Tablet PC Optional Components" and put a tick in the box next to it then click on OK.
Doing this will also give Vista users a few other features but the important one is Snipping Tool.
In some cases when doing this on people's machines I have had to reboot it but either way you should now find Snipping Tool under Accessories on the Start menu.

Voila!

Coming next - the mystical magical PrtSc facility

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 May 2013 16:44

Incidentally, if it is an image on a webpage, very often all you need is a single right click and then select "Save picture as..." from the menu that pops up.

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 22 May 2013 16:47

Errol - Snipping Tool is in Accessories on the Start menu on my computer.(Windows Vista)

GP

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 22 May 2013 16:56

ErrolSheep think I'll leave all the explaining to you -

Alt + PriSc then Ctrl+V into a word doc - then making the image float is as far as my brain can handle at the moment.

You are doing a bill job with funny banter as well - hats off to you

Got to put my slap on to go to a community meeting - need to keep composed for that.

;-) ;-) ;-)