General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Serious Question - at least to me lol!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 25 May 2013 07:58

My key board? is playing up..... when I type every second word keeps jumping into different parts of the computer...anyone any ideas please?

e.g. this is how it s goe if I don't go back aange it nd ch (that should read ...back and change it) B***** annoying!) :-S

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 May 2013 08:05

Also be interested in any answers, Nolls. Am just out to buy a new keyboard myself because same thing happened to me.

Have assumed I have spilt coffee or some sticky liquid on keyboard :-S

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 25 May 2013 08:13

Well John mine's a laptop so can't buy a new keyboard and hopefully don't have to get a new laptop I am just pulling my hair out but glad to know someone else has the same prob. I know nothing has been spilt and was OK up till a couple of days ago

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 May 2013 08:27

You have raised another question for me, Nolls. I have never had a laptop because towers are cheaper and I don't move round the house and I can have a big screen 21" or bigger).

Went to Tesco the other day to see if I could find a nice new computer and all they had were laptops with tiny screens - I think 17" was biggest and that laptop cost a fortune.

Are ordinary computers now a thing of the past?

lilybids

lilybids Report 25 May 2013 08:43

John, Ive just bought a new tower cost £269,but if you had to buy all the other bits so suppose it would work out about the same as a laptop
lily

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 May 2013 08:52

Buying a new laptop was a dissapointment for me........it was a offer one a "Tosh Satellite c660d",from Sainsbury's, but all the office type stuff was a starter edition........so if I needed to go to word or excel, it seems it goes to the internet to get the program......instead of it being already on board, as it were.......
Bob

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 25 May 2013 09:03

I suppose it depends what you need Bob. The starter edition of word is enough for me and it just sits pinned to my task bar. I did notice that even with my last tower Office wasn't included. (My laptop is the satellite is the c650)

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 May 2013 09:14

The keyboard was invented by the devil.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 May 2013 09:19

reminds me of living in Eastern Europe......

Before we used the computer we turned the keyboard upside-down and shook it, then watched the cockroaches round around.

:-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 May 2013 09:19

I bought a new tower last year, because I realised laptops seem to have a lifespan of 3 years!!
My old tower was nigh on 10 year old, bought second hand, and still worked. I only had to upgrade because, though not being a technophobe, I can't be doing with 'upgrading' then adding more memory etc. Oh - and I had a 'win' on PPI :-D
Otherwise I would still be using the old one

lilybids

lilybids Report 25 May 2013 09:19

I usually find I have to give my keyboard a good shake cos it gets bread crumbs or biscuits bits in it :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 25 May 2013 10:59

If your laptop keyboard is playing up you can always plug an ordinary USB keyboard (and/or mouse) into it.
I tend to do that if I have a long or complicated job to do on it as I find the built-in keyboard slow and fiddly to use.
I got a splendid keyboard from T*sco for about £8 and an optical mouse can be picked up for a fiver.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 May 2013 11:31

Mine also does this but not on this site mainly on Fb and only since my sky broadband has changed over to Yahoo.

So it seems to me that it may not be a computer/keyboard problem but an online one.

And since the changeover if I linger with my fingers on any keys whilst reading (again mainly on FB) I will get chucked out. I am hoarse from screaming at the pesky (could use worse language) thing!!!!! :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 May 2013 11:56

Pesky is a good word, PP. You can say words like pesky and flip with quite a lot of anger sometimes. :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 May 2013 12:21

Have you clicked on INS (next to delete) in error? This can send things skew whiff as it can overwrite text.

Mersey

Mersey Report 25 May 2013 13:19

Hi Noll's maybe you should contact Errol, he is very good at the type of thing and he has helped me in the past....but please do not tell him I sent you as he will think I have gone soft lolol ;-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 25 May 2013 15:29

This is my third try typing this (you may be lucky and have me off the boards lol) Sorry not back sooner but had to go out.
Thanks everyone Brian you are brill I didn't know that so will give it a try.
PP.. wondered about that I'm with talktalk don't like them very much so could be.
Cynthia ! Not sure don't think I did but will have a go at "Bashing" Inst (getting annoyed now lol)
Mersey that's a good idea will get in touch later tonight
Tanks all :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 May 2013 15:39

Lions frol Garroblate. Think you v comell ip with a gutt odeal fir i tread ;-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 May 2013 16:00

Last time our keyboard was playing up we discovered it needed a new battery!!

That was after we had tried everything else.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 25 May 2013 19:03

Andysmum didn't know keyboards had batteries - right something to think about think I will have to puter hosp next week just don't really want a big bill at the moment ..ah me!
:-(