General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Been at the Hospital since 5.30pm

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jul 2013 00:17

We were expecting a maintenance visit for our patio awning But really needed some cash as we hadn't managed to get to the bank this week , Our usual Bank day we were at BIL funeral .

Well the bloke didnt turn up but the time was open ended. After lunch OH insisted he was going to the bank so I ordered a cab for him with the instruction when he was ready to come home to ring me and I would order a cab for him . He said he would walk I said NO its too far ring me.

Well at 4.30 my mobile rang a nice young lady said I am Karen and I have just found Michael , he has had a bit of a fall and I cant pick him up on my own I need your help.

Panic I got the car out and went where she said but couldnt see anyone , after another phone call I got near to them and parked the car up and walked till I saw them

Poor Michael was up on his feet cos someone had helped the lady tp get him up but his back was all lopped sided and wasnt able to walk He had fallen and laid there for 30 mins till this lovely lady found him .

It was obvious we couldnt get him to the car cos he wasnt able to walk so we called an ambulance,

They were there in 10 mins including a rapid response car with paramedics. He was taken to hospital after they did loads of assessments in the ambulance. Cant fault the care they gave BUT aint impressed with A&E after he was booked in and we sat over 5 hours for him to see the doctor .
The result of that is he has been kept in for observation about his balance and will be assessed tomorrow by another team to see if he can walk safely and come home .

I have just got home !!

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 13 Jul 2013 00:26

Dear Shirley

Hello

Was just about to sign off.

Very sorry to hear about your OH.

Disgraceful wait at the A & E unit.

But its better that they are keeping him in for observation.

Not easy, but try and wind down and have a cup of tea, if you can
and then go to bed.

Take gentle care of yourself, Shirley and
lots of good wishes to you and OH
Elizabeth,
xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jul 2013 00:29

Oh dear Shirley...so sorry to hear this.

I hope your husband has a restful night and is soon home again.

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jul 2013 00:29

Elizabeth I know I shouldnt but have had two glasses of Wine .

Tea doesn't cut it at the moment.

Thank you for your kind posting <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jul 2013 00:33

Oh dear. What a terrible time you’ve both had, and what a kind lady Karen was to wait until you came.

Despite the wait at the hospital, your OH is now in the best place possible while his body recovers from the shock of falling. At least he hasn’t broken anything which is one thing that you think of if an older person falls.

Take care and try to get some sleep tonight.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jul 2013 00:39

Thanks Gwyn

Have told him NO WAY are you going out on your own again

You like to encourage someone with problems to stay as active as they can and to carry on as much as normal but there comes a time when normal isnt safe anymore .

Funny thing I had a feeling he wasnt going to be safe but he was adamant he was ok to go to the bank so I went along with it, he can get stroppy and belligerent so you choose the battle!! .

He has lost this one :-P

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jul 2013 00:45

Thanks DET

I am still a bit in shock coupled with being cross with him cos he is a bit of a stubborn git .sorry but thats the word.

He will assessed tomorrow by another team who have experience of his problems

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 13 Jul 2013 00:56

Sorry to hear about the fall Shirley. The long wait at A&E was out of order for someone who had taken a tumble.

It's at times like this when you realise how fortunate it is we now have mobile phones, you would have been so stressed looking for Michael and the kind lady who stayed with him.

I think you deserve a couple of glasses of wine, then off to bed and wait for better news in the morning <3

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 13 Jul 2013 02:44

sorry to hear about your OH's fall, thank goodness someone found him and stayed with him.

Hope that you both get a good nights sleep and are fighting fit in the morning.
Have recently been on a falls prevention workshop, they stressed that one of the important things to have with you when you go out, if you have bad balance is a mobile phone 9or a personal alarm).

Worth taking note I reckon.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jul 2013 03:34

What a shame your poor hubby couldn't manage his trip out without falling, must have shaken him up and you too of course. How kind that the young lady helped him - I wonder how much longer he would have lain there had she not come along. I do hope he will be ok after some rest and a checkover.

Had you got ICEand your name in his phone so the girl knew who to call? Hope he managed to get the money and hang on to it safely, could have been awful if he had had it stolen and still left there on the ground.

I hope you will have had some sleep and feel a bit stronger to face today, thinking about you both

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jul 2013 08:04

Yes hubby has my mobile nos and ICE on his phone. The way he had fallen though he wasnt able to get to his mobile. He told the young lady Karen where it was and my name and she was then able to ring me.

His wallet is ok too , that was in his trouser pocket and he was llaying on that side

His problem is when he falls he can't get himself up as he is a heavyweight when down as he has a big tum

Hopefully he will be ok this morning to come home.

I did manage 6 hours sleep so not too bad.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jul 2013 08:58

oh Shirley - what a nightmare for you both, and all that time in A & E - let's hope he's back home soon and does as he's told in future!!!

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 13 Jul 2013 09:15

Shirley...what a worrying time for you.
I think us women know how stubborn men can be...still wanting to be their macho selves...but this could be a wake up call for him!
I do hope he is soon home and life gets back to normal.
Thank goodness for the lovely lady who found him.
Thinking of you.
Brenda x <3 <3

kandj

kandj Report 13 Jul 2013 09:22

Oh that's a dreadful shock to your hubby and to you.
Thank goodness for Karen so kind and caring to take charge and alert you to Michael's fall.

I hope that you have "gathered" yourself this morning and will find Michael calmer in himself this morning when you visit. He is in the right place and hopefully will be assessed and given the support he needs. The time in A&E beggers belief.

My husband has had episodes of falling these past 3 years and so I know exactly how debilitating it can be and the time it takes to recover, not only for him but for us as wives and carers too.

Sending a gentle hug for you today, I know it is not easy but keep your chin up and take it easy in such hot weather. xx

Leslie

Leslie Report 13 Jul 2013 10:41

All good wishes to your OH Shirley and may he be back on his feet soon...Keep smiling....LES....

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jul 2013 16:28

Thanks folks . he is home now a bit unsteady on his feet and has aches where he fell and bashed himself.

Fortunately no bones broken got a bloody elbow with bruises around the deep graze.

He is being referred to the Falls Clinic

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 13 Jul 2013 19:35

Dear Shirley

Hello

Very glad to hear that your OH has been sent home.

Hope the appointment comes through quickly from the clinic.

Take very gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Jul 2013 19:45

So sorry to hear about your news Shirley. It must have been such a shock for you. It's reassuring to know that there are still some kind people like Karen in this world of ours.

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery and hope that the Falls Clinic can be of assistance to him.

Meanwhile, take good care of yourself.

Cx.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 13 Jul 2013 19:46

Aw bless him and you come to that. Pleased to see he is home now. Take care both of you:))

jude x

kandj

kandj Report 13 Jul 2013 19:51

Pleased to hear that your husband is home and hopefully you can both relax together.