General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wheelie bin cupboards

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

suzian

suzian Report 17 Aug 2013 00:17

Phwaa I'm so relieved. At last someone has recognised that keeping the streets free from wheelie bins is a national priority....

Cast your vote here....

Bedroom tax abolition
Jobs for the young
Preserving the remnants of the NHS
Something else?
or..... hiding your unsightly wheelie bin

jax

jax Report 17 Aug 2013 00:48

We don't have Wheelie bins here....where we used to live we had one right outside the door which every thing just got thrown into...glass, paper, plastic and cans much easier than bagging it all up, then have the foxes rip it open because there may have been a plastic container that once contained meat in there

suzian

suzian Report 17 Aug 2013 00:59

Our esteemed Minister for Communities and Local Government - Eric Pickles - has today written to local councils urging them to ensure that planning applicants who want to build new houses incorporate hidey-holes for wheelie bins.

I'm so glad he's found something useful to do with his time as a Cabinet Minister. He was last heard of issuing guidance on how to organise street parties.

Sleep safe in your beds, Britain. You're in safe hands....

Kense

Kense Report 17 Aug 2013 08:57

It seems quite a reasonable proposition with no appreciable cost to the taxpayer, unlike the alternatives you have given.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 17 Aug 2013 09:41

Is Eric Pickles the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government asking us to believe that when the Conservative Government, in 1987/1988, persuaded local authorities, with the help of government subsidies, to introduce these, that in their rush, allegedly for environmental reasons, they did not realise how unsightly these would become - or was the real reason to provide a lucrative money making opportunity for their rich business cronies ;-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 17 Aug 2013 09:50

We had a w/bin for garden waste for the last few years but a few mths ago we were given one for normal waste along with 2 black boxes for recycleables so now 2 w/bins and 2 boxes .... keep baning into them at the back garden!

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 17 Aug 2013 10:47

Our wheelie bin is a good way from our house,it stands at the bottom of our house road (dirt track) almost a 10 minutes walk (for me) from the house so no need for a hideaway for it!

We only have the 1 bin for all household rubbish,we used to have 1 recycling box but that blew away years ago on putting it out for the very first time, never seen it since! we did tell the council that in our rural windy area the box was not suitable but they wouldn't listen! never bothered to get another one!

Joan.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Aug 2013 10:54

The advantage of this is that the cost will have to be borne by the developers, not the councils or government.

The downside is that properties without side access will either have their front gardens sizes reduced, or the storage space will be incorporated into the living space.
The majority of new build homes have relatively small living space as it is.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 17 Aug 2013 11:27

We have 3 wheelie bins, brown for garden rubbish, (grass cuttings twigs, etc), blue for recyclables (paper cardboard, no plastic) and grey for househouse rubbish, recently had a new green bucket for food scraps given to us! Our glass bottles etc we put in a old swing top bin outside and when full take the bottles to the bottle bank. I don't know how much room the council think we have for all these bins, but our brown bin is stuck outside our garage as we've nowhere else to put it. Having said that, it's better than the black bag system where all the moggies/foxes ripped them to shreds to get at the leftover good.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Aug 2013 12:05

Mr Fox has to make a living too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2igjYFojUo

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Aug 2013 12:11

In my area we have 3 wheeiie bins.
1) general household waste. 2) paper card and plastic. 3) glass
We are lucky that we have enough room and created a sheltered spot in the garden to house them all

However, we are currently trying to sell a flat, in a block of 16 households.
( 4 floors and 4 properties per landing)
When the council stopped issuing bin bags, every household was provided with a wheelie, but the existing shelter can house about 4 bins total.
Around a dozen bins are permanently left outside in the parking area They blow over often!
This block sits alongside 4 other blocks of identical flats..... is it any wonder we are having problems selling it?

Edit:
Forgot to mention that the council also provided each block with one industrial sized bin for recycle material... also sited in the small parking areas!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 17 Aug 2013 12:25

I get the impression that wheelie bins are not everybody's best friend - one thing we can be sure of is - the manufacturers love them ;-)

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 17 Aug 2013 12:55

I like the bins but, as usual those in "power" don't think about any problems that may / are likely to arise from either having so many there is nowhere to store them all,or for the rural dwellers who have either to lug them here & there for quite some distance or leave them at the end of side roads where on windy days they can cause problems for the passing traffic on the main roads, or can easily be stolen!

Joan.

Barbara

Barbara Report 17 Aug 2013 13:03

We have 4 wheelie bins - grey, brown, blue and green - I would love a patio but then where would we put the bins? We use the garage for the cars.

On bin day, our road is like a slalom for driving down in that there are bins of every description out everywhere and, on a windy day, it is even worse!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Aug 2013 13:05

we have a black bin for household waste, green bin for garden waste - these are collected on alternate weeks

we have green bags for recyclable items collected every week and brown bins for food waste collected every week

I cannot understand these councils which give out open boxes for various waste - surely on rainy days they get filled up with rainwater?

Barbara

Barbara Report 17 Aug 2013 13:07

We are out at work on bin day. Everyone puts their bins at the bottom of their drives ready for collection and if they (the collectors) put them back at the bottom of the driveways where they got them from then it would be much better. They seem to just leave them in a great big group wherever the lorry has happened to stop.

jax

jax Report 17 Aug 2013 13:38

We have a little closed box for food waste and an open container for glass the rest is in bags black, clear pink for recyclables and beige for garden waste. The glass box only got put out when it was full, so when we used to drink it looked like we were alcoholics.
Where we used to live we didn't have a garden or shed just the wheelie bin for recyclables and dustbin for all other rubbish which the bin men collected weekly/two weekly from ouside the front door...no need to take it anywhere or forget to put it out (unless we forget to empty the kitchen bin)
I have often wondered how I would put my rubbish out on the pavement if I was on my own.....cannot put it out the night or day before as the foxes would rip it open, no one is going to come round at 6 am to do it for me

Potty

Potty Report 17 Aug 2013 13:59

At the moment we just have one wheelie bin for all our rubbish. Next year we are also to get 3 black boxes for re-cycling and an inside/outside caddy (?) for food waste.

As somebody said above, if these boxes are open and left outside they will get full of water and we certainly don't have room for them inside. Actually, we don't have room for them outside either, except at the back and they would fill our small courtyard and that would mean carrying heavy (water logged paper!) through the house. No idea what size this food caddy is going to be, but if it is any bigger than an small swing bin, there won't be room in the kitchen for it.

I think the boxes will end up in the loft and we will continue to do what we do at the moment, take all recyclables into town when we do our weekly shop.

None of the houses on our main street have front gardens and few of them have side entrances, the pavements are very narrow and about half of the residents are elderly.

Our council has been forced into this by new Government regulations!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Aug 2013 14:05

I have 2 bins - one for recyclables (but not glass) the other, for general rubbish - including glass, as I don't drive and refuse to walk half a mile with bags full of glass.
I have a narrow path along the side of the house, the wall of the house one side, the wall holding up the raised are the other.
My recycle bin is outside the back door (which is at the side), leaving very little room on the path. The other bin is in the back garden.
To get this out, I have to move the recycle bin to the back garden, take the general bin down a step, and carefully drag it along the narrow path, then up 4 steps and squeeze it through a narrow gate to the road! :-|

Merlin

Merlin Report 17 Aug 2013 14:19

Potty, Its The EU.Regulations.(Everyone is going to have 7 eventually and as usuall our Government is overly zealous on all things related to the EU.unlike other members.Sooner we get out the better. I wonder If, as we are charged in rates/ Council tax for disposal of rubbish etc,and on the bins/boxes it states they are owned by the Local Council(Bearing in mind that they charge for parking etc in their car parks,) we could charge them rent for the area they take up on our property storing Their Boxes and Bins? :-D :-D