General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some advice about our 16 year old cat please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2013 16:59

She is Mirabelle a British Shorthair that we have had from aged about 8 months from the local Cats Protection cattery.

She had come from the breeder and we wondered why cos she was spayed micro chipped etc . Did ask why a breeder would get rid and was told probably cos she wasnt suitable for breeding . Well think she had already been bred cos she has a floppy tum but later problems found she does have problems with overgrowth of bone on her legs that have given her limping problems at times.

NOW her current "problem" is she has taken to crying in a very plaintive way or calling type way . will do it after she uses her indoor loo or when she is sleeping outside our bedroom etc . Its quite pitiful to hear her and we do try and console her when it happens but its getting worse and we worry why .

Any ideas why an old female cat does this ? is she getting a bit senile ? can we get any help for her ?

Would be grateful for any feedback .

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 25 Sep 2013 17:31

http://www.catchat.org/meowing.html

My daughter would say she going senile!!

I would check with a vet

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Sep 2013 17:55

Cystitis?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2013 17:57

Interesting reading thanks

I think she is going a bit senile.

She due her annual jabs next month so will ask the vet .

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Sep 2013 18:20

I had this with an elderly female cat in France. Following Vets advice she had another year snoozing in the sun and catching voles. We had to change her diet quite dramatically.

Get her to a vet right away.

Make sure he checks out her kidneys are ok.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2013 18:41

well she pees OK although its a bit Ripe!!

Will get her to the Vet as advised rather than wait anther few weeks.

Thanks everyone :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Sep 2013 18:55

sound like she has a water infection,,,,,,asp!!! asp !!!asp !!!to the vets its very painful in animals..

if you can take a fresh sample out the litter tray,they can test it.

GinN

GinN Report 25 Sep 2013 19:02

My cat, although she was only 8 at the time, displayed similar symptoms. She passed a small stone in her litter tray, and the vet diagnosed bladder stones. She was given a short course of treatment, then prescribed special "bladder support" food - she preferred the dried, and she has been fine ever since - she's now 16 years old herself.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Sep 2013 09:54

Vets urgently.

But do not expect the constant crying to stop, ours is 15 and cries to let us know he has been out, criess to let us know he has come back in (especially if it has been raining and he is wet!!!), cryies to let us know he is going to bed!!!! SENILE Yep, taken to sleeping in odd places as well....

But we love him....

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 26 Sep 2013 10:19

its possible she has a stones or an infection
so i would make a trip to the vets with a water sample

line her tray with cotton wool instead of litter
and then squeeze out into a bottle
is the easiest way to get a sample

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Sep 2013 11:14

Thanks all will be taking her to the vet tomorrow evening .no surgery tonight.,and no parking near it in the morning and can't carry her basket too far as she is heavy .

Hopefully she hasn't got any major problem

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Sep 2013 14:38

Please keep us posted.

I have two British short hairs, posh paws a pedigree British Blue and a rescue who is a dead ringer for Felix cat. They are our sunshine.

Rescue cat is still recovering from an infected wound - wish I had taken him to the vets sooner.

wisechild

wisechild Report 26 Sep 2013 15:12

My little man is only 5 but since he was a kitten, he has always announced to the world when he is going for a pee in his litter tray.
He never announces that he is peeing in the garden.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Sep 2013 15:23

Another result from our cat getting cystitis (for the 2nd time) earlier this year. We had to stop giving him dry food a few years ago..

He has wet food (from sachets) and we add a small amount of water (less than a teaspoonful) to his meal.

He has once a week about 6 dry treats and that is it.

Male cats especially are prone to urinary tract problems and dry food just makes it worse. Their urinary tract is so small and dry food makes their urine thicker than normal, and any infection is very painful and serious.

And as many owners will notice no matter how much water is down very little if any is drunk.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Sep 2013 15:27

It is best to feed male cats on wet food from the get go. They tend to like it better anyway :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Sep 2013 19:51

Yes our old male cat Puss Puss. Who lived to 17 plus. Did get cystitis too at aged 15. And he had to stop having any dry food all including any treats . He also developed a thyroid problem so was on tablets too for about 3 years till he died

He was a ginger tiger marked moggy and we loved him to bits . We were devastated when he died.

Mirabelle is a blue cream British shorthair and still has one of those pretty faces

She is a big girl weighs nearly 6 pounds

Will let you all know how we get on
Thanks all :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Sep 2013 21:07

Took Mirabelle to the vet and she was given a thorough check over. Didnt have a raised temperature or any discomfort being checked over . The vet feels she has just gone a bit senile and the crying is just one of those things!

We have to keep an eye on her and take her back if she shows signs of increased thirst etc .

She goes back next month anyway for her annual jabs .

At least we know she is OK for the moment but at 16 plus she is an old girl

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Sep 2013 22:42

Ear plugs for you, then!! :-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Sep 2013 22:53

My old lady cat, Suzi is also 16 and she has for the past couple of years taken to yowling like mad - she's been thoroughly checked and ails nothing.

I've found this happens much more in my female cats than males and it always seems to start when they're about 15. One of my old biddies kept it up until she died at 22.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2013 01:07

9 odd years before mine (2 males and a female - who loves her 'voice' already) start, then :-(

Oh joys......