General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emoticons problems - we need your help!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Estelle

Estelle Report 12 Nov 2013 10:19

Hi everyone,
I can see that a few members are still having problems viewing and using emoticons on the boards. Phil (our lead developer) and I really want to get to the bottom of this. I do need some information from you all though. Could you please let me know the following:
a). What operating system you are using - e.g. Windows XP, Windows 7, Vista, etc.
b). Which internet browser you as which version - e.g. Internet Explort 8, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
c). What do you see? Can you see emoticons added by other people? How do emoticons appear at the bottom of any post you try to add?

Please just reply to this post and I'll go through the responses with Phil. We'll then try and get to the bottom of this.

Many thanks,

Estelle

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Nov 2013 11:35

Wonder why no one has posted?

Estelle & Phil - I don't use emocticons because I can't be bothered to sort it out - but I can see other people using them.

Edit: :-D - that's what I get

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 12 Nov 2013 11:37

Guess wot?

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 12 Nov 2013 11:37

Go on ..............guess???

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 12 Nov 2013 11:41

D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I don't know what you did............but i have emoticons!!!!!!!

I'm sooo excited.....and i just can't hide it.

I'm about to lose control and i think i like it!!!

Woooop, wooooop.

Thankyou.

:-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Nov 2013 11:42

Ooh! I didn't think they worked for me - I only see the bracket thingy - maybe I'll start using them - watch out!!!!!!!!!!!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Nov 2013 11:44

Grin grin grin at nameslessone

(Edit). Windows XP, Firefox, can see others (those who are emotional), can display mine (but not as emotional as many others) Grin, wink, wink.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Nov 2013 11:46

Prickly Holly

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Nov 2013 11:53

Estelle, I don't have a problem with my Emoticons but i do see members posting that they cannot contact the GR support team because the "Link" used to contact the support team has been removed by GR from the contact us section under the help tab,

Quote; If you can't find the answer in our Frequently Asked Questions, you can contact our Support Team

Note the LINK is missing and there are no contact details

Whats the point of a support team if members cannot contact them and their is no point in posting/quoting the contact details on this thread because most members using this board already no it but that doesn't help the members who don't

Please put the link to the support team where the vast majority of members can find it,

Roy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Nov 2013 12:05

I have just swapped computers so now can use and see the emoticons.

My original computer I was using IE8 and Windows XP and could not see them under this reply box but could see them on posts

Leila

Leila Report 12 Nov 2013 12:27

:-D :-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 12 Nov 2013 13:08

Windows XP. Microsoft 8 Browser. It was OK untill you started fiddling .It disappeared overnight ,everything on here re Genes is Compatible still none at all.:o((> Very grumpy Merlin. I can see others Emoticons, And as you know I can send them to you from other sites (As I have done).

Merlin

Merlin Report 12 Nov 2013 13:57

Wheyhey, its now 1.52pm.and I,ve got my Emoticons Back, Thank you, May I make a small suggestion re Speed. If you combine the timing of the Adverts at the top of the page with the download of the page (Because untill they are complete the page Sticks) soon as they are shown complete everything runs OK. (So Far) :-D :-D :-D <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Nov 2013 14:14

Windows XP,,,,IE8.

Oh,,,,,,,,all back to normal.

Thanks Team for all the help and fixing things.

:-D :-D :-D.

Estelle

Estelle Report 12 Nov 2013 14:18

Hi everyone,

it's good to know that emoticons are working for most of you now.

As for being able to contact the support team, we did remove the link from the page you mention. This was because we want to encourage members to search our FAQs for the answer to their question. If they can't find it there, then they can send an email asking for help.

Kind regards,

Estelle

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Nov 2013 14:37

But, Estelle, if your question is not listed in FAQ you then have to hunt around the site in the hope of finding a link to support. Surely there should be a link to support at the bottom of FAQ's!
Not everyone will automatically know the support email address.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Nov 2013 14:52

Hard to send an Email asking for help if you don't have the Email address to send the query to in the first place,

Question, What came first the chicken or the egg?

Got to go now, There is another brick wall waiting for me to post

Roy

Estelle

Estelle Report 12 Nov 2013 15:37

Hi Namelessone and Roy, there is a link on the FAQs that appears after you have asked your question. You'll see a list of possible answers and then a link at the bottom of those to email the support team for help.

Kind regards,

Estelle

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Nov 2013 15:51

I have my emoticons back. :-D

I checked the "Help"..... under "contact us"...... the very end of FAQ, there's "Feedback", but you have to look at the main body of the text to find the link. A very complicated way of doing something that used to be simple.

It wasn't broken, why did GR "fix" it? :-( :-|

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Nov 2013 15:56

GREAT FANTASTIC BRILLIANT

But what about members who look at the FAQ and read the relevant section but that section does not help them?

Having to use the search facility on that page first before you find the link, ( which is in the small print at the very bottom) plus the link is not an obvious link to the support team and is not very user freindly and most members would not see it to start with,

Roy

Edit, If none of the above FAQs answer your question, please submit your query to our dedicated support team.

The words "submit your query" is the Hyperlink to GR support

Would it not be better to have the words "support team" in a large font and use them as the Link,