General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whats going on with GR

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 14:42

Just got this when trying to get back from the Military chat to the General chat board, The screen turned red and this warning came up

This website has been reported as unsafe
www.14updatejava.com

We recommend that you do not continue to this website.
Go to my home page instead

This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-0 :-0

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Feb 2014 14:47

Not seen that. How strange.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Feb 2014 14:54

Roy

Ive just had that as well, I initially thought it was my security system throwing it up.

Don't understand it.

George

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 15:00

Very strange Ann,

George it was my security system that warned me,

Possibly related to these Add's ? on GR

Roy

michael2

michael2 Report 1 Feb 2014 15:05

I have had that scanned security essentials it showed safe the looked at historycame up as trojgens removed them seems ok now.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 1 Feb 2014 15:06

Roy,

I just went to Military Chat then came back to General Chat - no red screen and no warning received here - strange :-S

Mark you had a similar thing a few years back with another site and it turned out some sort of malware/virus was trying to access my PC :-(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 15:12

OFITG I've been navigating beween boards for about an hour switching from Military Chat then back to General Chat several time before it happened and have repeated it since without issue

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Feb 2014 15:15

I don't have ads on my GR maybe it is an advert that shows on the military site sometimes?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 15:20

I have googled and Norton Safe Web has analyzed 14updatejava.com for safety and security problems. Below is a sample of the threats that were found.
Summary

•Computer Threats: 2
•Identity Threats: 0
•Annoyance factors: 0
Total threats on this site: 2
Web sites rated "Caution" may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red "Warning". Proceed with caution.
The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis syst

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show_mobile?name=14updatejava.com

Roy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Feb 2014 15:24

I just got that red screen - and I haven't moved from the General Board.
It actually says to update java.
I'm afraid I don't trust signs like that - too often THEY are the problem. Will scan my computer, but I update when I want - too many times in the past, updates have led to my not being able to access things :-|

BTW - it only appears to be this site.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 15:29

Ann, I never went on a military site,

I was on GR'S military chat board then clicked on the General chat link when it happened

I don't think it's a big problem it's more of an annoyance than anything but if it had happened to some it could have had them panicking

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 15:32

maggiewinchester, Mine doesn't say update java,

Mine said exactly what it said on the tin,

I copied and pasted the warning so what you see in my OP is exactly what it said

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Feb 2014 15:35

sorry Roy, I did mean the military board. are there different ads that appear when you are on different boards?

jax

jax Report 1 Feb 2014 15:41

I had something like that a couple of hour ago with a

Whoa do you really want to go there message

Not had it before so just closed down and opened up again

I wasn't on the military board though

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Feb 2014 15:43

I've just had the same as maggiewinchester A message to update java. I could just see a sort of ghost screen behind it that said "download now" and I think that would have come up if I pressed OK. I pressed the back button and went to the previous page and it cleared.

Island

Island Report 1 Feb 2014 15:51

Like Maggie I got the update jave window a couple of hours ago. I have only looked at chat today.

Remember a while back one weekend when the ads on GR were hacked into/infected and a very convincing page or window came up suggesting virus infection and offered free scan? Some members took it as genuine and found it difficult to get rid of. I believe it was more nuisance than damaging.

Click on nothing, if in doubt logout.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 15:52

Ann, Various adds appear on All the boards, That's how GR make money,

It may have nothing to do with the adds, I only said "Possibly related" but it could also be GR itself

I only posted this thread in order to inform member and to highlight this "Possible threat"? and for anyone else who has it and say your not alone :-D but their is no need for anyone to panic.

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2014 16:06

Like Maggie and Island, I had that attempt to con you into a 'Java update' a day or so ago. It took several goes at the back-button before it gave up!!

jax

jax Report 1 Feb 2014 16:22

Has anyone had a small multi-coloured box come up asking for your feedback and to take a 5 minute survey recently whilst on this site?

I have had it 3 or 4 times now but have ignored it....but did take a copy of it just in case

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 16:30

Jax, Yes I had that yesterday but i ignored it also

Just to confirm, The warning i got was a FULL SCREEN turning red including the address bar and not a popup box.

People being asked to update java normaly get the java popup box telling them an update is available, This was not the case

Roy