General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOST 89 YEAR OLD VETERAN

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jun 2014 16:58

I love this, I just this on sky news, this 89 year old d day veteran lives in a care home in hove and they banned him going over to Normandy so he got out some how I think on Wednesday night and got on the coach that was taking the other veterans from the area.

The home reported him missing to the police but he has turned up in Normandy OK and someone is looking after him and will make sure he gets home safe.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jun 2014 17:00

Good on him!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jun 2014 17:06

I was just telling my OH about him. Still got the Dunkirk spirit then. He 'went out for a walk' apparently but over his jacket with his medals on he wore his old raincoat. I would think he'd possibly arranged it with a friend who was also on the coach because it said a friend phoned from france and said he was there and ok and they'd see he got home. The superintendant of police tweeted about it apparently and sounded quite amused. They are not naming him or the home.

wonder if his name is Fred???

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jun 2014 17:59

I hope he do'es not get into trouble when he gets home hope he had a good time while out there, wonderful old boys

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jun 2014 17:59

Good for him!

Couldn't be a brother of Fred, could he?

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 6 Jun 2014 18:28

Well done to him, bless him. true spirit. xx

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 6 Jun 2014 18:32

Well done to him, bless his heart ;-) ;-) <3

jude

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 6 Jun 2014 18:39

Don't you just love a story like this - still showing the spirit that got him through those dark days. :-) xx

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 Jun 2014 18:42

Well bless his little cotton socks.

He deserves another medal!!!

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jun 2014 19:06

The home had no right to 'ban' him. He's obviously not unwell, or suffering from Alzheimers. He's merely old!! He is in a care home, not a hospital (which he could discharge himself from anyway) or prison, he has every right to do as he pleases.
All the home had to do was assess the risk (not too much on a coach) and ensure his safety on the trip - ie see if someone could keep an eye on him - which (no thanks to the home) has happened.

The attitude of some care homes makes me soooo mad :-|
They are meant to be 'homes', CARING for the elderly, not controlling them!

Well done that man, and may you insist on your freedom when you return :-D

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jun 2014 20:02

The home has named him has Bernard Jacob and he was in the Royal Navel. I am so glad that he is being looked after and has I said before I hope he has a wonderful time over there, and I agree some of these care home are useless

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 6 Jun 2014 20:32

That is wonderful - I salute you sir. It was that spirit that won WW2

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 6 Jun 2014 21:08

I heard on the news that the reason he couldn't go was because his passport had wrong spelling of his name, but he was determined to go!!
Don't think the care home was being cruel to him. :-S

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 6 Jun 2014 21:13

Well done that man!
They don't like it up 'em!
My old man used to say in the army you didn't get punished for doing wrong just for getting caught :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jun 2014 21:57

It's going to be a bit hard if they don't let him back in to Britain because his passport has been incorrectly spelled.

He will have to hide in a lorry.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jun 2014 22:03

The Royal Navel Linda!!! I hope not :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

God bless his cotton socks - good on him - hope he had a mega good time - true British spirit - that's what D Day was all about - he should have another medal for sheer bravery

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jun 2014 22:06

just seen it on the net - Bernard Jordan

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 6 Jun 2014 22:15

Don't know where our local tv news got story of passport :-S, but a full account is on here BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086

:-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jun 2014 22:18

Sorry I got his surname wrong my mistake. Just saw the interview with him in sky news he said all being well he well be back there next year. Don't where the bbc got the idea he came home early.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jun 2014 22:45

saw him on the news just now - looks like a lovely old man :-)