General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Conned again

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Petef

Petef Report 17 Jun 2014 20:44

My elderly sister has just been conned for the second time, another reminder about trusting others.
She lives alone in the North East and is housebound. She was very pleased when an Organisation started up local to her that had vetted local tradesman.
Their leaflet stated ....' the risk could be taken out of choosing a local trades-person if you use a member of our Organisation'....... My sister has employed two of their "vetted" tradesmen, names and details given to her by them. One sold her a computer which was found to be out of date within four months. The other, a skilled joiner and home maintenance man. He took the £1500 at the end of the job with a promise to return the following week to complete a few minor works. He didn't return that following week. Despite numerous telephone calls, he did eventually return after three months to replace a double glazed window. Now, almost a year later, he has not returned. and has not completed the other minor works.
My sister realises where she went wrong and feels very stupid about it blaming herself. It has caused her a lot of distress. There is little Trading Standards can do to help as she has nothing in writing. She thought she was only employing 'trusted people' as they had been vetted by this Organisation. The only help they gave was to tell her to go to Trading Standards.
I suppose the moral of this story is, not to trust anyone. It seems to make no difference if they have been vetted or not so don't trust these Organisations either.
I hope this story will help others to be more careful and so not make the same mistake.

Peter

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jun 2014 21:26

that's awful Peter - I've been conned twice in the past week or so - on te internet - my fault for being too trusting and gullible

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jun 2014 21:28

here's some numbers which may help

there is no longer and Office for Fair trading - it is now Financial Conduct Authority -

FCA 0800 111 6768

Action Fraud - 0300 1232040

Action Fraud were amazing and even offer victim support -

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Jun 2014 21:33

I'm sorry to hear about this. The problem with these 'organisations' is if you pay the annual fee you are therefore vetted!

The same used to apply to the Guild of Master Craftsmen.

Two years ago I put work out for tender and relied on recommendations that were independently submitted, I was very lucky with the trades engaged BUT two were so unprofessional (although they had decent recommendations) that we could see problems if we used them.

Anyone can be deceived.

SueCar

SueCar Report 17 Jun 2014 21:39

I always get estimates from three different tradespeople when I need work doing.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2014 21:42

The FCA is only for the financial services industry and has not replaced the Office of Fair Trading.

Sorry to hear about this.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 17 Jun 2014 22:06

Last year I had a very bad experience with a supposedly very reliable company...named after the highest mountain....they've been in business for years.
It's a very long story and they made mistake after mistake...now I am an old lady,but have been in business and I will not be put off with excuses.
I went straight to the managing director..and threatened them with fair trading.the media etc...and eventually got a fair deal.
This just goes to show that it's not just unknown companies,but well known names that have been around for years.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Jun 2014 22:11

I think I know which company you mean Brenda. I used to work for them and they have always been a load of S***s :-| :-| :-|. Even to their employees

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 17 Jun 2014 22:41

It took a long time LG..
I cancelled one part of the deal and had a local builder.
It was just a disaster from beginning to end,,,but I got a reduction in the end .

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Jun 2014 23:12

FCA is about limit of somebody's knowledge on this thread.

Very sorry to hear this :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jun 2014 23:35

well according to the police - who gave me the number of the FCA - it replaces the Office of Fair Trading

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2014 23:39

Nope.

Sorry but that information is incorrect.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2014 23:49

"The Office of Fair Trading was responsible for protecting consumer interests throughout the UK. It closed on 01 April 2014, with its responsibilities passing to a number of different organisations including the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) and the Financial Conduct Authority.
For advice or help with a consumer problem, contact Citizens Advice."
(Government website)

and...

"We regulate the financial services industry in the UK. Our aim is to protect consumers, ensure our industry remains stable and promote healthy competition between financial services providers."
(FCA)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Jun 2014 00:08

That is the first time I have seen you (sorry, a certain poster who always seems to be right) admit to getting something wrong. Well done for apologising to AnnC, whoever you may be.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 00:14

hmmm - so the police are wrong?

I do wish Errol that you would just stop jumping on everything I post - I am sympathetic to Peter and trying to help him - you are just muddying the water

My first thread on being conned, which was hopefully a warning to help others not make the same mistake I made, had to be deleted because of your antics on that thread, which was a shame

And apologies to Peter for this distraction - let's hope that's the end of it

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Jun 2014 00:18

AnnC. If you read the post carefully, facts c & p'd prove you and police were correct. Unexpected, but think it is a sort of apology. Plenty more to come hopefully. But good start.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jun 2014 00:36

The Office of Fair Trading was responsible for protecting consumer interests throughout the UK. It closed on 01 April 2014, with its responsibilities passing to a number of different organisations including the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) and the Financial Conduct Authority .

For advice or help with a consumer problem, contact Citizens Advice .

View the closed OFT site in the UK Government Web Archive .

Office of Fair Trading - GOV.UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-fair-trading

The Office of Fair Trading was responsible for protecting consumer interests throughout the UK. It closed on 01 April 2014, with its responsibilities passing to a ...

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 18 Jun 2014 08:43

I was not jumping on what you had posted - merely providing correct information as supplied by the government. By their own statement, the Office of Fair Trading has not been replaced by the FCA and they advise that for consumer problems, people contact their local CAB (as you have quite accurately stated above).

The FCA is for financial services.

I am fully sympathetic towards the predicament of Peter's sister and sincerely hope that others do not fall victim to this sort of scenario or, if they do, that they are able to use the accurate information to resolve the issue.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Jun 2014 08:56

Well, somebody keeps jumping all over my posts, AnnC's posts and several others. Must be a mirage. We must all be seeing things.

Got an appointment with optician later.

"I am fully sympathetic" obviously has another meaning to "I am fully sympathetic".

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Jun 2014 09:11

we always use my sons builder he is fab
so are the lads who work for him you always get
a good job done at a very reasonable rate
and often does a freebie for us
:-D :-D :-D