General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GPO

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 16:05

Hello

i was wondering if anyone knows where i can find records of people employed by the GPO in 1945 ?

Many thanks

Diane

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jan 2015 16:20

The Post Office archive are online, think they may be with Ancestry.

But do not get your hopes up. These records are literally just a name and date, if lucky it may be when they started.

also if you have somepne with a common name ie James Brown, then you have no way of identifying yours from all the others.

My g/grandfather who worked for the GPO in the 1920s does not even come up!

Think a lot depends on where they worked, ie Postmen are mor likely to be found, whereas mine was a linesman, setting up the telephone sytems when they started to become more popular.

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 17:08

Thank you ,i will have a look :-)

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 18:36

Just found it ,again thank you :-)

diane

diane Report 29 Jan 2015 17:47

Sadly no records found for Ethel Margaret Roberts GPO Officer 1945 (this is what Ethel is stated as being employed as on my Mums birth cert ) the search continues!

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 29 Jan 2015 21:30

My grandfather was a GPO Postman during the 1920's (according to his marriage cert, daughter's birth cert, daughter's death cert) and yet there is not record of him with the Postal workers / post office archives :-S
Several years ago, before they were online, I paid for a search to be done and there was nothing :-0

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Jan 2015 19:49

I think Karen and my experience shows that these records are not complete. I thnik they have posted what they have!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 30 Jan 2015 20:17

I transcribed some of these records, I suspect there are more still yet to do.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 30 Jan 2015 22:54

Announcements of GPO promotions and exams are often given in the London Gazette, which is searchable online although no personal info is given. Worth a look!

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

diane

diane Report 2 Feb 2015 19:32

:-( sadly nothing found!

Graham

Graham Report 2 Feb 2015 20:03

Are these threads about the same person?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1349073

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1348966

diane

diane Report 3 Feb 2015 13:52

Hi Graham,

Yes they are ??