Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ethel Margaret Roberts

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 13:06

Hello ,

For many years i have been searching for my Grandmother Ethel Margaret Roberts,she gave birth to my Mother Susan on 31st May 1945 at St Lukes Hospital (10 Warren road) in Guildford Surrey. Mum was then adopted in the September the only info we have is the name of her guardian ad litum who's name is/was Muriel Elisabeth Hall her address is registered as Stoneleigh, Mount herion Road ,Woking,Surrey

Any news received i would be eternally grateful

Kind Regards

Diane

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jan 2015 13:11

I,m afraid you would need more info than just her name going by the birth year it could be that Ethel was just in area because of the war

am assuming that Ethel wasnt married at the time

do you have mums birth cert ? it does show on FreeBMD under Surrey S W reg district

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Jan 2015 13:12

Can we assume that she was unmarried at the time?

Please remove your mother's exact DOB, unless she was adopted, or is deceased.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Jan 2015 13:15

Checking freebmd, the birth looks to have been for a Susan M F Smith.

Who was the father?

Have you looked for the marriage of Smith and Roberts?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jan 2015 14:18

The birth is just Susan Roberts mmm Roberts

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Jan 2015 14:43

Thanks Shirley.......missed that one

I assumed that 'M' (Mary) would be on the birth record

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Jan 2015 14:50

Diane

If your mother was adopted, do you know if she has her adoption file?

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 14:54

Hi Jacqueline and Shirley

Yes Mum was adopted, this happened in the September we have her adoption cert and also Mums birth cert ....no Father mentioned all we know is Ethel worked for the GPO as a officer at the time

Kind regards

Diane

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 14:58

I have spoken to Surrey Social services they have said they would email me if they find anything though very doubtful as they think Mums adoption was private?

diane

diane Report 26 Jan 2015 15:11

Hello Again ,i have also found out through Google etc there were a lot of Roberts in the area at the time many being Traveller families ? thank you both for helping, i felt that i was reaching a dead end as have been looking for years and Mum will be 70 in may i just feel she need to know as she has been mentioning things quite a lot recently x

diane

diane Report 11 Dec 2015 14:57

Update ....apparently Ethel became a Roberts through Marriage , her original name was Sutherland so if anyone who is related to an Ethel Margaret Sutherland /Roberts who worked for the Post office during the 1940s/50s please get in touch !??

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Dec 2015 17:03

I would doubt anyone would just know of her

have you tried looking for her birth and the marriage

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Dec 2015 17:08

how could she be Roberts nee Sutherland if your mums birth shows the mmn as Roberts

that indicates she wasnt married

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Dec 2015 18:50

The 1946 marriage doesnt have a middle name.

How old was she in 1945 it maybe in the adoption paperwork.although at that time the filing wasnt as detailed.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Dec 2015 15:10

you may have the adoption cert but does you mum have her adoption file ?

diane

diane Report 12 Dec 2015 17:09

Hi Shirley,
The answer to your question is no ,we applied to both Social services for the area of Mums birth and adoption also the court which dealt with the adoption but sadly both came back saying they had done a thorough search but nothing found , we know the adoption hapoened as we have the application and order ...all very strange! :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Dec 2015 19:47

If it was a private adoption then there wont be any paperwork as such.

Can you not take the route from the home address (if any)on the original birth certificate.

Sometimes paperwork is archived in county record offices from that time,,,,,,but then it was Welfare and not social services and they didnt go into great details as is done nowdays.

diane

diane Report 12 Dec 2015 22:03

Hi Kay , I tried this route originally I was able to trace Ethel up until 1946 her last address was prospect cottages in Farnham, the only records held in county archives is a register from the hospital where my Mum was born but all it had was Mums name , Ethels name and the date Mum was born the only route since I have been able to take since is post office records for her , the only ones found are on bmd of her originally being a Sutherland and in 46 marrying a roberts in Lewisham and then in 51 marrying a Deves it perhaps maybe not her I've yet again hit a brick wall as I've contacted who I believe is her son but sadly he has yet to reply :-(

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Dec 2015 22:15

If this is your mother's birth, where does Sutherland come into it?

Births Jun 1945
Roberts Susan Roberts Surrey S.W. 2a 799

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Dec 2015 22:16

Who was living with Ethel in 1946?

Rose