General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yet another disappointment in my life

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Nov 2016 22:08

I have always like Dime bars, even when they were called Buttersnap or something like that and now they are called Daim.

You couldn't imagine my delight when I saw that Iceland was stocking an iced lolly like a Magnum that was Daim flavoured.

Of course I have been pestering for some, some things you never grow out of, to everybody who might be planning a visit to Iceland because we very rarely shop there.

M went there today and he bought a packet for me to find in the freezer.

OMG, they are vile, truly, truly horrible! Far, far too sweet and don' taste like Dime bars either.

I don't suppose it will stop me pestering though.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Nov 2016 22:10

Dime Bars were the work of Satan. I almost gag at the thought of them, along with Fisherman's Friends and lemon puff biscuits :-P

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Nov 2016 22:16

Funny how tastes change.

Like you, I used to love them. The snap and the chocolatey, buttery taste. The last one I ate a few years ago was so sweet and found the weak spots in my teeth. Ouch.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Nov 2016 22:16

You can get Daim Bar cake in the freezer section at Sainsbury so probably in the other supermarkets too.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 16 Nov 2016 22:26

Look on the positive side Sharron.

At least you are still here to say "Yuk" to the Dime/Daim bar.

;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Nov 2016 22:30

But there are there are three more in the freezer for me to enjoy.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Nov 2016 22:34

I did an Iceland shop last week when I realised the freezer in the garage was just supporting a couple of packs of partly cooked rolls

Bought a packet Daim bars that looked like the cheaper version magnum bars

Not impressed with them ,too sweet and nothing like dime bars that I loved

Not on my repeat shopping list

Are Dime bars stil sold cos havent seen them

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 16 Nov 2016 23:02

My big disappointment is
Ambrosia no longer do tinned Sago

I would sell my soul for a tin :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Nov 2016 23:20

I can tell you why that is too because I have been on the quest for sago for ages.

Almost all of the world's sago production was based on a particular Indonesian island. The tsunami destroyed most of the sago palms and left the soil too saline to grow any more.

I have to make do with tapioca.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Nov 2016 23:30

I haven't had tapioca/sago for decades!

I can't tell the difference, because every school I attended, it was known as frogspawn, and had a dollop of disgusting jam in the middle.

I was the 'heroine' who ate everyone else's, so they could leave the dining hall/gym and go out to play :-D

Edit: I never liked Dime bars :-(

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 16 Nov 2016 23:51

My biggest disappointment is that there are no preventive vaccines that can prevent all cancers from developing.

I wouldn't sell my soul for a vaccine..........i would happily just give it.

H'mmm.......sell your soul for a tin of Ambrosia Sago ???

How very facetious!

:-S :-( :-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Nov 2016 23:56

...well I suppose there are different levels of 'selling your soul' :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Nov 2016 23:57

But we could develop that idea to encompass mental illness, degenerative diseases, war and all sorts of deadly serious things that we all would like to see eradicated.

That is just one we have to live with but, while life is full of disappointments we can do nothing about dwelling on the negative will achieve nothing at all and we need to keep ourselves happy by regretting frivolous things.

No doubt the islanders whose livelihoods depended upon sago production have some cause to regret it lack of availability too.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Nov 2016 00:27

Looking up the production of Sago/Tapioca - it seems such a faff for something most children didn't really like at school. :-(

I agree, life is full of disappointments - I've never tasted a better lemon meringue pie than the one my mum made, and will never taste one of hers again.

But, I'd like to taste again a 'tattie' (hard sweet 'thing' covered in cinnamon) only available in Scotland - no doubt without the easily chokeable-on plastic 'toy' hidden in the middle - just to see if it is as foul as I remember - but I kept buying them.

confession: I'd pay for the 'Tattie', but not the 'Jamboree bag' shoved up my jumper! ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Nov 2016 20:05

Fred's mate and M ate the other two lollies and said they were alright.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 17 Nov 2016 20:09

Who remembers Rice Cremola?

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Nov 2016 20:55

Was that like ground rice?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Nov 2016 12:36

coconut ice

a multicoloured brick with bits broken of with a massive pair of tongs!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Nov 2016 13:15

Is that a disappointment to you Bob?

Another I came unstuck on was Oreo Biscuit ice-creams. They looked really yummy AND were on offer at the wholesalers so we bought a case. They were just too much, very rich and far too big and we had two dozen of them!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Nov 2016 16:00

OOH! coconut ice!

I'm surprised I've got any of my own teeth.

Please don't mention Tapioca again - it brings back nightmare memories of school dinners.