General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Quant

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Apr 2023 18:00

Has died age 93. Another icon/name. R.I.P

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 13 Apr 2023 18:26

Oh gosh yes. I used to go and look in her shop Bazaar in the Kings Road, Chelsea. Could never afford anything in there!

I used to collect her make up range, and still have a lipstick and compact, with the iconic daisy printed on the cases.

She led the way, and others followed. <3

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 19:24

I used to window shop too MG but I couldn't afford it either :-D. I did buy the cheap knock off clothes though ,black and white dress and white long boots. That's when I had the figure for it ;-) :-D :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 13 Apr 2023 19:38

Like two orphans LG, with our snotty noses pressed up against the window. :-D :-D :-D

To be honest I preferred Biba in Kensington Church Street.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 19:44

Speak for yourself re the snotty nose :-D :-D :-D.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 13 Apr 2023 19:45

I stand corrected LG. :-D :-D ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 19:47

:-D :-D :-D :-D.
I used to like shopping in Camden market in the 60's and wandering up and down the Kings Road,what an atmosphere :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 13 Apr 2023 19:50

Camden Market used to be great, lots of individual stalls, lovely ethnic jewellery.

Now it is full of tourists, and most of the stalls sell the same overpriced tat!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 19:52

I last visited Camden about 8 years ago and I agree it is full of tatt now.

Island

Island Report 13 Apr 2023 20:11

Carnaby St and Foale and Tuffin for me. Biba in the old Derry and Toms was the place to be though with the restaurant on the top floor.
What was that former dept store that had the hippy market on the ground floor 0 Barkers? It was thick with the pong of patchouli oil, Afghan coats and some other stuff ho hum....
Mary Quant was a bit before my time but yes, she was the trail blazer. Had a good innings.

Camden market was a favourite too with Dingwalls. The market went down hill years ago.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 20:16

Afghan coats now there's a blast from the past LOL. Kaftans and eyes like burnt holes in a blanket :-D :-D :-D. Now I am showing my age :-0 :-0 :-0

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 20:19

Just had a google Island,did you mean John Barkers n High Street Kensington?

Island

Island Report 13 Apr 2023 20:33

Could have been John Barkers LG, on the next corner up from Big Biba. They had Barkers Bargain Basement which I used to go for things I didn't know I needed.
I think the indoor market might have been next door actually, it was a labyrinth of little shops run by strange people LOL

"eyes like burnt holes in a blanket" LOL - good description :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 20:35

Lots of strange people in London Island,me included :-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 13 Apr 2023 20:44

It was the way to be LG Far out man :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2023 20:44

:-D :-D :-D.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Apr 2023 22:43

Didn’t realise she was born in Blackheath London so part of my birth and stamping area

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 14 Apr 2023 19:27

I remember that inside market, a real hotch potch of stalls and clothes.

Island was talking about the large Biba which opened later, opposite Marks as I remember.

The original was next to Bus Stop in Kensington Church Street. Lovely little shops, but so dark in there. You only really saw what you had bought when you got home. :-D ;-)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 14 Apr 2023 19:30

Meant to say, never did have an Afghan coat, but did have a patchwork denim coat and a fun fur. Dont know what fur it was though.

Island

Island Report 14 Apr 2023 20:16

MtG I thought there was a dark shop further down on Hight St Ken, mind you, it was a thing to have low lighting LOL There was also a trendy shoe shop - Sasha?
I had some turquoise leather lace up boots from Ravel, desert boot style.
Sailor trousers from Lawrence corner :-0 those sailors must have been like half starved whippets :-0
No Afghan either. I made a mock one out of khaki wool lining from a couple of army surplus leather jerkins. Classy eh? Original though :-D