General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Super kingsize duvet covers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Jun 2023 12:03

I have a Kingsize bed but last year decided to order a super kingsize quilt and a duvet set. The reason being is that with the kingsize, the duvet only covers the bed with a little over the side.

Although I'm single, I have memories of someone hogging the duvet and me waking up with none!

So when the new duvet and cover set came, I noticed that once the actual quilt was inside the duvet cover, it didn't quite fill the cover and so when it hangs over the side of the bed, there is material that doesnt have any quilt in it!

I measured and checked to make sure I had order the correct size, which I had. I also thought that as this duvet cover was in the sale, maybe the quality wasn't so good?

But my 2nd and 3rd duvet covers I bought which were better quality and more expensive are exactly the same. So I am perplexed as to why the quilts dont fit snugly inside the duvet cover.

Has anyone else a kingsize bed but uses super kingsize duvets and covers?

Florence in the hebrides :-S

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 6 Jun 2023 13:20

Perhaps it's the duvet itself that doesn't measure up? Standard superking duvet in the UK should measure 260 x 220 cm, maybe worth checking the label and measurements of that first.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jun 2023 18:11

I have the same problem with a king size duvet and several covers supposed to be king size too

The duvet swings inside and there often spare material that I get caught up in as I turn over

Plus too the quilt top will turn over inside the cover so there loose material and twisted duvet

It is annoying!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2023 06:16

I actually use a smaller duvet cover, that way the duvet is a little bit squashed inside the cover.

But I must admit that only one of our duvets is king-sized, whether that be UK of North American. The queen-sized cover makes it really snuggly!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Jun 2023 08:53

I have looked online and found a discussion group where people are saying the same as me. I rechecked the last duvet and cover I ordered and they were both super kingsize. When I change my bed later this week, I shall lay flat the cover and measure and also the quilt.

I do find it strange as I have 3 sets and all from different companies and they are all too big??

I shall return with the results once I measure.

Island

Island Report 7 Jun 2023 09:01

A discussion group about duvet covers? :-0 :-D

Why not just cut off the excess and make a matching pillow case? or just cut it off and stitch it closed? :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Jun 2023 09:38

Yes Island, was on mum's net.

Er no, not going to mess it up and anycase, the excess at the sides isnt big enough to make a pillow case!

I'm finding it strange that this problem has been experienced by quite a few people.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jun 2023 09:39

Not everyone wants to alter a huge duvet cover or have sewing machines to do so though

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 7 Jun 2023 11:20

I have the same problem with my two newly purchased double duvet covers :-0. I'm wondering whether it so that the cover could easily accommodate the more bulkier winter duvet :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jun 2023 11:24

Hotels usually, and annoyingly, tuck in the duvets. Last hotel I stayed in had the same thing as Florence, so only the excess at the side was tucked in - so much easier to untuck.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Jun 2023 11:47

names, I hate that tucked in, the whole idea of having extra over each side is to cover the base sheet and also it looks so much better, well i think it does.

When my friend was here, she noticed I stand up my pillows instead of having them flat and my bed looked like one from a hotel :-D I was flattered!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Jun 2023 12:03

This makes interesting reading. The last sentence in the first paragraph surprised me - I thought all duvets were square :-|

https://linencupboard.co.uk/collections/which-duvet-size-guide

Island

Island Report 7 Jun 2023 13:10

Ah...mums net :-D

Only trying to make a suggestion to solve what clearly seems to be a big (no pun intended) issue here. :-S

names..... hotel duvets tucked in - why :-S First thing I do is walk round the bed pulling it out, then you find all that excess and on one occasion, tears in the cover. :-0

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jun 2023 13:57

I have double duvets on the single beds in the spare room, and a kingsize on my own double bed - no risk of draughts at the sides!

However, I do tuck in the bottom corners, as otherwise I find I trip over them when walking round the end of the bed.

Island

Island Report 7 Jun 2023 16:14

I wouldn't want to be putting a cover on a Caesar size duvet :-0

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jun 2023 16:32

I quite like the Scandinavian system of separate duvets. But think you probably need a bigger than standard double bed.

Island

Island Report 7 Jun 2023 16:41

You'd need a Large Emperor names - sounds a bit mothy LOL
Two smaller duvets sounds a good plan, not least because they'd be less hassle to get the covers on!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2023 17:53

My daughter and her OH went to twin duvets several years ago .........they have a North American king size bed, so plenty of room. They love it as they each have control of their own duvet.

We first came across this twin duvet idea in an Austrian hotel back in 2008, and it seemed a good ide. Just as the idea of having a top sheet and then the duvet that we found in a NZ B&B back in 1993 also seemed a great idea! Wash the top sheet, but the duvet cover can last a little longer ;-)

There ARE differences between UK and North American sizes of beds and coverings. ;

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jun 2023 18:19

I am often heard moaning that duvets are the Devil's invention. I am not tall enough ( to shake the duvet in gripping the corners) nor are my hands strong enough now to put the cover on anything but a single duvet, and that's usually too much of a struggle . As for the ones with button to fasten, can't do it. :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jun 2023 18:25

Re Sylvia's mention of top sheet plus duvet -
that's what I've always done. The duvet cover almost never needs to be changed. Just treat the duvet as an old-fashioned quilt.