General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone have aged pets ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jun 2023 12:18

We moved into our new build in 1967 .our daughter was 9

Next door had moved in a few months earlier so had time to sort out their back garden whereas we had soil and weeds !

The following year we weeded and laid turf so garden looked ok ,but the fencing then was ranch style and not that high as the garden sloped upwards

Soo we often had a tortoise visiting and found it belonged to next door who bought it as a pet for their two children. He was handed back many times

One Sunday was indoors and daughter came rushing in with “can I have next doors tortoise?”

On enquiring it was well it’s seems to want to be in your garden! Kids have lost interest and hubby is peed off it eats his newly planted plants so if Karen wants it then ok

Daughter was pleaseeeeeeee! She so wanted a pet but as we both worked we had felt it wasn’t practical

Soo fast forward and I still have Harold a female Greek spur who is over 60 years old

Was named Harold by hubby as Harold Wilson was prime minister then and hubby was it’s slow like him!

Only two years ago through a Facebook site was identified as a female Greek spur BUT she will always be Harold

Is eating like mad in this hot weather and wandering around on a huge patio and taking herself in and out of her house on the patio !

Have told daughter you get her back in my will !!

Wish this site would let you attach photos to posts to show folks what a beautiful girl she is

I love her to bits ,and she knows and responds to me speaking to her :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Jun 2023 12:27

Shirley, you could change you avatar picture for a week to show us Harold and then go back to the one you have now?

Both my cats lived to nearly 18! One called Tiger who would take a walk with me to the letter box and she would "talk" to me too. Everyday I took the bus, she would wait until the bus passed the house at 6pm and then walk along each garden wall until the corner and wait for me to get off the bus and then meow at me saying hello.

Florence in the hebrides

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jun 2023 12:55

Florence
That’s a good idea .never thought of that tbh

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jun 2023 13:01

Nope hasn’t worked and now I have los my original picture!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Jun 2023 13:28

You can put a picture in your keepsafe and mark it to share with all.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Jun 2023 13:34

Oh no! Where is that original photo? Is it on your computer?

Or if its in a frame you can scan and upload to pc then upload to here again.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jun 2023 15:46

OMG what a performance!!

Wouldn’t load from iPad photos so had to fire up laptop that needed an update for Microsoft edge

That took ages !,

Then the wedding picture isn’t on laptop so has to send it to myself via email and then save picture

Finally got it to upload again on genes

That’s it ,never changing the profile picture again :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Jun 2023 16:43

Oh Shirley, glad you got your wedding picture back.

It can be a bit of a faff as pictures I take with my smartphone, I email to myself. Then go on PC and download to my pictures and save. Then I can upload to anything I want.

I don't like laptops so only have a PC with a proper keyboard lol

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 17 Jun 2023 06:23

My Nan also had a tortoise named Horace, age unknown but ancient. When she went away to stay with my Mum for a few days we looked after Horace, then took him back to my Nan when she came back home. A few days later Horace laid an egg - my Nan was convinced it was something we had done to him (she still insisted he was a "him"), we tried to explain that she must be a female but she would not have it, and remained convinced that we had caused her male tortoise to lay an egg!

On the subject of aged pets, our first Yorkie lived until 1 month short of her 20th birthday, despite having a stroke when she was 17.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2023 06:46

Duncan

I was pretty sure Harold was female as I tried to identify her species and gender

Her under shell didn’t have an obvious concave ! But what was confusing she has never laid an egg or shown signs of being egg bound .

Maybe she is gender fluid!! :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Jun 2023 13:06

Gender fluid! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Oh that made me laugh out loud Shirley

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jun 2023 22:02

Shirley - 'She' is gender fluid?
Surely it should be 'They' are gender fluid :-D :-D :-D :-D

Political correctness appears to rule nowadays! :-S

Edit: There's only one tortoise, so should it be 'they is'?
Grammar has gone by the wayside, I mean, 'should have' has all but disappeared, it now seems 'should of' is acceptable :-\

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 18 Jun 2023 01:26

Shirley :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Jun 2023 17:08

Oh dear, what was wrong with your post Maggie????

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jun 2023 23:54

No idea, Florence - but at least we may find out if admin are still here! :-D :-D :-D

Can I claim an award for having the first post in years to be reported?

Also, does the reporter know how I identify?
If not, did they have the 'right' to report me?

Was it because I was correcting a potential tortoise transgender issue or my complaint about grammar?
It would be nice if admin informed me, for future reference and personal regulation of my opinions.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jun 2023 00:24

We got a cat when I was 5. She was called Mickie.
Well, actually, if I'm allowed to say this, 'she' was called Micky. then she had kittens and dad realised his mistake.
Mickie was a vicious beast. Her favourite thing was to hide behind a bush on the drive, and jump out and lacerate your legs. :-|
She moved with us 7 times.
When Mickie was 16, my elder sister (who Mickie was living with - and I was there occasionally) had a baby..
Mickie disappeared. An elderly neighbour turned up, to inform us that Mickie was in her house.
This lady's husband was infirm and blind, and Mickie just turned up one day, and sat on his lap.
The lady apologised. We apologised,
The lady said Mickie was a lovely gentle cat - which amazed us - who just slept on her husbands lap, but she knew it was our cat, and felt guilty..

We realised Mickie couldn't cope with a baby, was behaving herself, was content. and was doing some good, so told the lady she could keep her, if she wanted to.
The lady was relieved, as her husband had become attached,
We bought food for Mickie and gave it to the couple.
Mickie lived for another 4 years, dying, aged 20. just after her new 'dad'.
The lady died the next year.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jun 2023 07:01

Loved your story about Mickie Maggie.

But I see the itchie finger is still around.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jun 2023 09:23

Looks like someone has come out of hibernation ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 20 Jun 2023 12:58

They need to go back into it. :-D :-D.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Jun 2023 13:44

I say, be a "person" and identify yourself :-D :-D :-D :-D