General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hi is anyone still here from 15-17 yrs ago!?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 3 Jul 2023 19:30

My youngest girl is 17 now and I joined when I was newly pregnant, my first post being to ask advice about severe morning sickness which I was convinced was going to kill me off! We all got so close on the boards, and now many have passed away , Clive buckle, dizzi, daff, Jean, to name but a few.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jul 2023 21:16

I am Still here. And so are a few others. Is that the same board name that you had then?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jul 2023 21:22

I'm still here, been here 20 years.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 3 Jul 2023 21:40

I have been heee for about 20 years as well

RStar

RStar Report 3 Jul 2023 21:42

I was Romany star , had a break from here :-D

Allan

Allan Report 3 Jul 2023 21:44

Sixteen for me :-)

RStar

RStar Report 3 Jul 2023 21:46

On cold winters nights there would be so many of us chatting , debating, and arguing :-D :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Jul 2023 22:02

Hardly any left now, sadly.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Jul 2023 22:22

I remember you as Romany star. I joined 15 years ago.

Yes sadly many have passed but there are still some of us left still chatting and putting the world to rights.

Florence in the hebrides

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2023 22:55

I.m still here too !

Been here for yonks lol

Those names of old friends we lost brings back many happy memories

Met some of them too when we did London meets :-D

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 3 Jul 2023 23:00

I see I'm 18 years here.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Jul 2023 23:59

I'm still here too :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 4 Jul 2023 05:18

I've been here 17 years :-0

Didn't really venture onto the General Chat board until I retired about 10 years ago as I spent most of my time on the Find Ancestors board prior to that :-)

What I did find back then was that there were several with very strong opinions, people would take sides or gang up on a person and before you knew it there was a right old spat going on :-0. Certainly kept those in GR HQ on their toes....the Report button is very rarely used now and when it is it is normally a mistake :-D

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 4 Jul 2023 06:08

I joined in 2006, I remember you as Romany

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Jul 2023 10:41

LB, when I first joined, I looked at the general chat board and saw many arguments etc which scared me off. It was some time before I plucked up the courage to join any conversation. Yes the RR button was used daily back then.

Gosh today the boards are so calm to back then arent they?

I just checked and it was 2010 before I joined a thread on this board as was just on Find Ancestors for some time first.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Jul 2023 10:47

There used to be a lot of aggro and intolerance on the genealogy research boards back then too.

Nowadays only occasional slight friction, thank goodness.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Jul 2023 11:17

I joined in 2006, under another name, looks as though I didn’t start adding to this board until 2008.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 4 Jul 2023 11:48

Yes, I recall that too AG :-0. Some people seemed to forget that they were beginners too once :-0. I just enjoyed helping people :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jul 2023 11:55

Hello Romany Star I left for a while but renewed sub this year. You did a reading for me and one for my friend Elsie, which I still have, came across Elsie's the other day. . My son's 27 now lol.

Rambling Rose

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 4 Jul 2023 12:25

I've been around since 2005 though I didn't start using the boards much till 2012. I remember you as Romany Star. Welcome back :-)