General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Warren Wednesday

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 16 Aug 2023 08:23

:-D :-D :-D <3 <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D :-D

Morning All :-D <3

Bright and sunny here. :-)

The Girls will be playing in about two and a half hours time. C'mon England. <3

Have a good day Everyone. <3

Island

Island Report 16 Aug 2023 08:56

Warren Street? Knew him well, you, tube. :-D

Morning Maddie :-D :-D

Sunny here, Lovely :-D
I'll be enjoying the outdoors.
Have a nice day

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 16 Aug 2023 09:07

Morning Island :-D <3

Yes I am going Underground. :-D :-D

Have a good 'un.

Fly

Fly Report 16 Aug 2023 09:16

Morning Maddie :-D <3

Morning Island :-D <3

Sunny here :-D just saying ;-)

Island

Island Report 16 Aug 2023 09:34

Better than risking a Traffic Jam Maddie - ooo..... just a paper moon :-D

Don't just say Fly - get out there! Today might be the summer. Here Comes Summer :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2023 10:03

Morning Maddie, Island and Fly :-)

Another beautiful summer day here and very warm too :-D

Enjoy your summer!

Just lost a long e mail I was sending in reply to a friend :-| :-0
Lap top just froze, then lost it.
I'd better try again.......

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 16 Aug 2023 10:44

Morning Maddie, Island, Fly & Gwyn <3 <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D :-D :-D

Beautiful day here, lovely walkies :-D

The Travellers have been evicted :-D :-D. They have left their rubbish though :-|

Click collected so I'm now sitting watching the build up for the Game, the commentators have their winter coats on :-0 :-0

COME ON ENGERLAND :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2023 10:54

Morning Belle :-)

Good that the travellers have gone, but sad about the rubbish :-|

Have you warned Ralphie about you watching the match ?

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 16 Aug 2023 11:23

Morning Fly, Belle and Gwyn :-D <3 <3 <3

Match has just started. Matlidas being a bit game playing. :-(

Pleased your travellers have gone Belle..

Island, we are too young to remember Jerry Keller ;-) ;-)

Island

Island Report 16 Aug 2023 12:49

Afternoon Stragglers ;-) :-D :-D

It's hot out there mum :-D Lovely but a bit bright for my peepers :-

Jerry Keller who Maddie? :-S That 'In The Summertime' pushbike fella? :-S

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 16 Aug 2023 14:33

Here comes Summer was his big hit Island.

In the Summertime was Mungo Jerry. :-)

I hope Ann has polished her glasses for tonight, I have a couple of interesting things for her to look up. :-D :-D ;-)

Island

Island Report 16 Aug 2023 14:45

Maddie I had to consult Mr Google and I'm non the wiser :-0 I know the song but but must have been covered by others.
Mungo Jerry eek! Liked the song - one hit wonder? - but ugh those mutton chop whiskers :-0

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 16 Aug 2023 16:25

It might have been covered Island, no idea. We dont really know cos we were only a twinkle then. :-D :-D ;-)

I saw the singer of Mungo Jerry, Ray, walking down Regents Street one afternoon. Girls were turning around to see him, but not I.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Aug 2023 19:06

The dreaded Casquet Rocks, eight miles from Alderney, and twenty-three miles from Guernsey, which have so often been the scene of terrible disasters of the sea, were on Thursday afternoon the scene of one of the most appalling shipping disasters of recent years. The South-Western Railway Company's fine steamer STELLA, on her way to the Channel Islands, lost her bearings in a fog, crashed on to the Casquets, and foundered soon afterwards, with the result that about one hundred persons perished. The STELLA is one of the well-known fleet of passenger steamers belonging to the South-Western Railway engaged in the regular service between Southampton, Guernsey and Jersey. For the convenience of holiday-makers, the Company had arranged for the STELLA to make an extra daylight trip to and from the Channel Islands, and a large number of passengers were tempted to take the holiday from London by the low fare of 24s 6d return, and the convenience of a special train from Waterloo to the ship's side in the dock at Southampton. The train left London at five minutes to nine on Thursday morning, and the STELLA steamed out from the docks at a quarter past eleven with a full passenger list and a considerable amount of cargo, amongst which was a furniture pantecnicon, which was stowed away on deck. The STELLA was well found and in the best of order, and was commanded by Captain Reeks, one of the ablest officers in the Company's service. [Greenock Telegraph 3.4.1899] The Board of Trade inquiry enquiry into the loss of the STELLA was resumed yesterday, and at the very outset there was some astounding evidence. Mr George Bult, a survivor, said he was on deck for some time before the STELLA struck. The weather was thick 'off and on.' He got into the starboard lifeboat and sat opposite Reynolds. During the night one of the crew said that he had spoken to the captain advising him to alter his course, but the captain told him to keep to the course 'or words like it.' He also told the captain 'something about the current being very strong.' The man speaking then went on to say that when the captain's back was turned he altered the course to that which he thought was right, but that the captain afterwards made him alter it back again. Will you swear he was a member of the crew? Yes. The witness was then confronted with Reynolds, the second officer, and the two seamen in the lifeboat, but failed positively to identify the speaker. Examined by Sir R Reid, witness complained of the want of attention when they were on board the VERA. He could only get a cup of half cold coffee and a mouldy chop, which he could not eat, and for this he had to pay 2s. One of the ladies had to borrow money before she could get any thing to eat or drink. [Liverpool Shipping Telegraph, Wednesday, 3 May 1899] A Fecamp telegram states that a corpse was brought there with a lifebelt, probably from the steamer STELLA; Trousers marked 'A R V Green'; silver watch, initials 'A W G,' £7 in gold in pockets. [Liverpool Shipping Telegraph, Wednesday, 10 May 1899] A telegram from Lloyd's agent at Fecamp yesterday says that the body of a woman about thirty years of age, with a bracelet marked 'FC to CB, souvenir,' has been landed at Paluel. Another body, that of a man, with buttons on his clothes marked 'LSW,' probably an officer of the STELLA, has also been landed at Paluel. [Liverpool Shipping Telegraph, Friday, 12 May 1899] Boulogne, 22 May 1899: Two more bodies from the wreck of the Channel Island steamer STELLA were recovered to-day. One with papers bearing the name of Mr Herbert Edward Stenning, solicitor, of Walbrook, London, Pircroft, Leatherhead, was found at Wimereux, three miles north of Boulogne. The other body has been identified as that of Mr Plummer, of Messrs Plummer and Co, upholsterers, of 35a Gloucester Road, London, SW. It was found at Ambletense, seven miles north of Boulogne. Mr Farmer, British Vice-Consul, who proceeded to the spot, has communicated with the realtives, [Liverpool Shipping telegraph, Tusday, 23 May 1899] Read more at wrecksite: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?4557

See what you made me do MG….I was up flying around everywhere last night as well as digging n delving :-D :-D

This is the ship in which Mary Rogers perished…..on the wall of remembrance in Postman’s Park…she was a Widow with two grown children
:-( :-(

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Aug 2023 19:07

I forgot to say Wotcha :-D :-D <3 <3

Von

Von Report 16 Aug 2023 19:12

Evening all :-D <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Aug 2023 19:13

Howdy stranger :-D <3 <3 <3

Fly

Fly Report 16 Aug 2023 19:14