General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flo Friday

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Aug 2023 09:48

<3 :-D :-D :-D <3 :-D :-D :-D <3

Well it stayed dry for a long walkies :-D. Looks threatening now though :-0 :-0

Hugs for them that need em <3 <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2023 09:53

Morning Belle :-)

Bright and dry with a strong breeze at the moment, but forecast shows thunderstorms for later :-0

Hope Ralphie will be OK and the weather is not too bad where you are <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Aug 2023 10:07

Morning Gwyn <3 :-D

Hope the weather doesn't put a dampener on your meal with your extended family today :-0. Hopefully the chat and food will be so that you forget about the weather :-)

I have my lightening and rain apps open so I can track any adverse weather, hopefully it won't be too bad :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2023 10:35

Thank you Belle.

I always knew about the senior member of the family, as her Mum and my mum were cousins. Sadly her Mum died suddenly at a very young age and my mum, with my brother as a young child travelled to Wales to look after R. and her younger brother and sister, the latter a young baby. My Dad was away in the War.
The cousin's husband within a few years moved the family to London area, chasing work and the families lost touch.

Fast forward to 2006 and that summer OH, grandson and myself were going to stay in Glamorgan, so we looked for a B&B. The 1st person I rang couldn't help, but said her friend in a nearby village also did B&B, so we booked with her and were warmly welcomed. We got chatting over the days and I told her why we were in that particular area, as it was where Mum was born and grew up and the lady asked about family names, as this was the next village.
It turned out that she regularly wrote to the grandaughter of my grandmother's sister.
The grandaughter was R. who lived in Folkestone , not many miles from me !

If we'd have gone to the 1st place, we would never have known, so I feel it was 'meant to be'.

We got in contact, when we returned to Kent and meet up fairly often and today it will be R and her 2 daughters and myself and my 2 daughters for lunch together :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Aug 2023 11:05

OMG Gwyn :-0 :-0. What a story, sometimes fate does play the right cards :-0 <3

Have a lovely time :-)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 18 Aug 2023 11:52

Morning Belle and Gwyn :-D <3 <3

I got to the end of the road, and the Heavens opened! :-(

All the roads are on diversion so ended up doing a route-march in the rain. :-P :-P

What a tale Gwyn, fate played a hand that day. <3

How did you get on with Ralphie at the vet, Belle? <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2023 12:23

Afternoon everyone :-D <3

Tis like a winters day when you look out the window here :-0 :-0 Tesco arrived so no need to venture out :-D :-D

Enjoy your get together Gwyn <3

Did ya have your plastic rain hood on MG :-D :-D

Von

Von Report 18 Aug 2023 13:02

Good afternoon :-D <3

Has rained here but it has stopped now and is surprisingly warm. ;-)

Gwyn enjoy your meal and catching up <3

Whilst in Wales recently I met with someone I last saw about 72 years ago. You can

imagine there was a lot of gossiping and lovely to see her. :-D

Fly

Fly Report 18 Aug 2023 13:37

Afternoon Belle :-D <3 Gwyn <3 <3 Maddie :-D <3 Ann :-D <3 Von :-D <3

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Aug 2023 14:38

Afternoon everyone. <3 :-D

Very wet here but the forecast for Sat, Sun and Mon is promising - sunshine all the way.

Just watched the Letby verdict on lunchtime news and it left me feeling extremely sorry for all families involved and even her own parents and family who would have undoubtedly backed her up until it was impossible to do so.

It seems that medical staff (paediatricians etc) knew something was wrong but nothing was done when they complained. In fact, I was absolutely astonished to hear that they were made to sign a letter of apology to Letby! What price a good and discerning CEO?

I am afraid that it left me thinking that hospital CEOs are recruited from the wrong backgrounds.

I realise that it is easy to say now the horse has bolted but it would seem to be a good idea that any future hospital CEO appointments need to be from people with medical backgrounds rather than purely business backgrounds. They can then go ahead and fill other senior and junior clerical posts from those with purely business backgrounds. I don't know what you all think but it all gave me food for thought.

Von, next week I am meeting up with (our usual) school pals' group. One I have known for a little over 75 years and the other two for almost 70. Sadly our number is falling gradually. There used to be eight of us who met twice a year (summer and Christmas) but now we are determined to meet up every couple of months.

Still see my bestie often though - we met and hit it off when we worked together in a Castle out woop-woop way. :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2023 14:58

Storm Betty is awaiting in the wings :-0 :-0

Just catching up on the current news Joy :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Aug 2023 15:08

Hi Ann. <3 :-D

I hope it flies over quickly!

Very sad, Ann, no doubt you'll realise I took an interest because of the particular hospital - which I know you know too. Dreadful goings-on. :-(

When we were across in Chester a couple of years ago I ended up taking K to A & E there - and it meant I was the one who had to drive back home - in his car!

I could tell he was not well as he did not wear a hole in the carpet in the footwell where his feet normally do the breaking for me! :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Aug 2023 15:19

Afternoon Everyone

They are now looking at admissions into neonatal units in the two hospitals that she worked at between 2012-2016 to see if there may be other deaths of children that were unexpected that she was involved in :-( :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Aug 2023 15:23

Hi Belle. <3 :-D

How very sad. :-(

Is Ralphy OK? <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2023 15:37

I remember you telling me that Joy :-D :-D

Belle…I think she was on placement in Liverpool…but not entirely sure. According to the news there are a further six charges they wanted to bring to the table
:-(

It is just so shocking that she was able to get away with so much before anyone twigged as to what she was up to :-(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Aug 2023 19:11

Evening all :-)

Such a really sad case,... All those families devastated by lost or damaged children :-( :-0

Rain didn't come to anything here, just enough to dampen the ground. We still have huge cracks in the back garden grass. :-|

Good to meet up with family. One of the daughters especially is keenly researching ancestors, so it was good to compare what we knew about family members.
Meal was OK ish and much delayed and I've had much better at that venue, but the wait did give us plenty of time to chat ;-)

Went to opticians afterwards with my daughters, so bank balance is a bit lighter now :-0

Fly

Fly Report 18 Aug 2023 19:20

Evening Gwyn :-D <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2023 19:21

Wotcha :-D <3 <3

Evening everyone <3 <3

The electric is off in parts of the town :-0 :-0

Fly

Fly Report 18 Aug 2023 19:22

Evening Ann :-D <3 have you got that storm Ann :-0

MotownGal