General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Random ramble re Christmas

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Dec 2023 16:00

Questions:

What is your most vivid memory of a Christmas when you were younger/little?

What can I suggest as a present for someone buying for the 'woman who has everything she needs', something that is pretty rather than practical?

Have you been to a Christmas market this year, or ever, and where was the best one?

Is there a 'must have' book on your wish list, what is it, or have you read one that was better( or worse) than you thought it would be?

Favourite Christmas film? Favourite or memorable tv programme?

Favourite chocolate?

In a possibly tough year for many what is keeping your festive spirit going?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Dec 2023 16:17

Seeing our old cat sleeping in the Xmas tree just like a large decoration.

A scrapbook of memories

Best market was always Lincoln, now sadly stopped

I am waiting patiently for the C J Sansom latest novel in the Shardlake Series, addictive reading :-D :-D

Downton Abbey Christmas

Lindor oh yum

The arrival of our laest Grandson 3 weeks ago

Happy Christmas Rose <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Dec 2023 16:24

Happy Christmas LaGooner, and congratulations on your new Grandson.

I did read that Lincoln market had been stopped. I had thought of going to the one in Chester, but one way and another it didn't happen.

I really miss the purple box of Cadbury's miniatures I used to love, and their chocolate medallion, nothing quite replaces those.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Dec 2023 16:32

Oldest memory of Christmas - probably the army sock at the end of the bed, with a satsuma still wrapped in its little paper.

Saem problem so she had flowers.
Don't often go to Christmas markets and not this uear as only just recovered from covid.

Not thought about myself as usual.

Used to love Morecombe & Wise christmas specials

Chocolate - yes please!

Defintiley yes.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Dec 2023 16:40

I will have a vivid memory of going to bed when I was under nine years old, trying to sleep because if I didn’t Father Christmas would not visit. We lived in a bungalow and outside my door a lot of activity, parents walking up and down whispering and the smell of mince pies baking. I had hung my pillow case on the end of my bed. I did go to sleep and I can still remember waking up and moving the pillow case, bursting with excitement as I could feel lots of knobbly packages inside. Nothing like that feeling of expectation

If it is somebody special a delicate not too expensive piece of jewellery, a small pendant possibly applicable to the person on a delicate chain

Gloucester used to have a fantastic Victorian Christmas market. They still have a market but I have not been this year.

I am waiting for the last book in the seven sister set of books by Lucinda Riley.

I have always loved white Christmas, sorry not very original

Love most milk chocolate but favourite probably Lindt

Looking forward to being with several generations of family for two weeks over Christmas.

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Dec 2023 17:01

I think my most vivid memory is the smell of Christmas cake, mum made it nearly always on Christmas eve, so always woke up to it.

I used to love getting coloring pencils, or one of those books of paper dolls to dress.

There would always be something like Val Doonican or an Andy Williams Christmas special on tv in the evening. They don't really make them like that any more lol.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Dec 2023 17:47

My oldest memory was the Christmas stocking too. My dad would wrap the presents, on the outside christmas paper but then inside numerous layers of newspaper had to be unwrapped to get to the present, sometimes just a penny chew! I can remember the joy on mum and dads faces watching me open the stocking presents. I had an orange in the foot along with a piece of coal wrapped as a present, anyone else have the coal? :-)

How about a nice bowl of house bulbs as a present. :-)

A went to a Christmas Market opposite the London Eye about 10 years back. Have to say I wasn't overly impressed as everything seemed to be expensive and didn't look good value for money, it didn't help that it was cold and wet too :-(

Not sure if it is a Christmas Film but Meet me in St Louis. Loved it when Judy Garland sang 'Have Yourself A Merry Christmas', although it always makes me shed a tear :-0

I'm quite boring when it comes to Chocolate as I really only like Cadbury's saying that I do like After Eights & Ferrero Rocher too :-D I would, however, never offend anyone by not eating chocolates given to me ;-) :-D

Happy memories of Christmas past :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Dec 2023 18:47

Rose like you i remember the dolls with paper cut outs. But i always remember all the gifts at my grandparents were wrapped with string and brown paper which grandad always wanted back for next year! He was the original recycler.

Morcambe & Wise xmas special sat with grandparents and a tray of goodies. After eights of course, dairy milk chocolate out of the fridge and tins with toffees, loved them ones.

Never been to a xmas market.

What to buy, well what about a voucher for lunch or a garden centre.I bought my dad a book about the area he grew up in as it has loads of pics of Eastleigh and he will love to look at that. He has everything too!

Favourite chocs were always Black Magic

Fav gift was a 10/ note from grandad wrapped into a present. Thought i was so rich back then.

The memory of seeing grandads dressing gown going out the bedroom door after midnight and realising that he was Santa, god love him <3

Lovely memories of xmas as a child

What's keeping me going? Well I always say that better things will come and always stay positive. I've come this far after a few tough years so the only way is to look forward. As Bob Marley said, " Dont worry, Be happy, cause everything little thing will be alright."

Florence in the hebrides

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Dec 2023 19:39

All good suggestions for a gift thankyou. The person buying has thought of them all I think, doesn't help that like me the recipient has a December birthday.

My son is having the same problem knowing what to get me, books for my birthday was easy but what for Christmas, I don't 'need' anything.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Dec 2023 21:13

As mine was the 4 Dec, I quite often got a joint xmas & birthday gift and somehow felt cheated!

What date are u Rose?

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Dec 2023 21:57

14th Florence :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Dec 2023 00:04

Aw happy belated birthday :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2023 09:11

As people are thinking about gifts. What can I get my husband for our golden anniv?

Apart from a divorce ;-) ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Dec 2023 09:24

A ball and chain names ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Dec 2023 10:13

Thankyou Florence and a belated Happy Birthday to you also :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2023 10:25

Happy birthdays.

Thanks La Gooner - we already have one of those :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Dec 2023 10:27

Do you have the handcuffs to match ;-) :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2023 11:06

Ooo you are naughty - but I like you.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Dec 2023 12:47

:-D :-D :-D I do my best to spread a smile or two

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Dec 2023 23:01

You girls have made me giggle here all on my own.

My memory of Christmas past was when I was very small lying on the floor under the Christmas tree. Dad always bought a BIG one and sometimes had to cut a chunk off to fit it in the lounge so the Fairy could go on top. Mum had made the fairy and she had silver wings made out of grandads tabaco paper and it hazd a diamond pattern on it. I must have been about three because my uncle Les bought me fairy light with nursary rymes on them, I remember the cow jumping over the moon and I think LIttle Miss Muffet. Dad was a builder and ecorater and the tree was always wedged in a Snowcem tin and mum would wrap it in red crepe paper and put a big green bow on it also in crepe paper.

I think a bowl of bulbs would be a lovely gift for someone who has everything as they can be put in the garden after flowering and go on for years to come.

I have never been to a Christmas market.

I don't read books as I don't have the time but I do listen to talking books and like the old fashioned ones of down and out girls getting a better life.

My favorite film was Bigadoon with Gene Kelly. It was sort of magical.

My favorite chocs were the old Black Magic with the hazel nut cluster, liquid cherry and the mazipan one, the orange cream and the coffee cream and at a pinch the toffee and mallow, which they don't make now but oh always bought me Black Magic at Christmas so this year I bought myself a box.

As to your last question it must be just the joy of Christmas and the decortions in the church. I make the advent ring each year and have done so for over 30 years here.

I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Keep the threads going girls Stay safe and carry on.