General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Orange stains on hands advice please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2023 11:11

I have woken up today with what looks like orange stains/iodine staining on the palms of my hands and under my fingernails! i had had a shower but it will not wash off.

It wasn't there when I went to bed last night so have no idea what it is.

I am not well as had a bad headache for 2 days and my temp is still at 38.2 Im just drinking water as no appetite. Not worried about that but has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Under my nails, it looks like rust????

I have tried googling but doesnt seem to be any particular reason I can find.

I dont really want to phone NHS as not an emergency but it's still a worry as to what's going on.

Suggestions please

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Dec 2023 11:35

I would have suggested turmeric stains , but if you have not been eating you won’t have been cooking. :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2023 12:06

No havent been eating names. No lillies either in the house as i know they stain.

Google throws up various things like age spots, Addison's Disease, too many carrots etc but none of those.

My fingernails look dreadful as if i havent cleaned them for weeks! Or i have soaked them in a bowl of hair dye/fence stain of which i havent done either.

GP isnt open until Wednesday here so shall have to keep an eye and see if it spreads elsewhere. It is strange its only on the hands :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Dec 2023 12:31

Do you have 111 in Scotland? You could ring them and ask and definitley ring them if it gets worse or spreads.

As for your headache and temp. - have you tested for covid.?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 31 Dec 2023 12:32

I would suggest contacting NHS 111 - either filling in details online or phoning, especially as you have other symptoms which may be related.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Dec 2023 12:56

I would phone or contact help online today for advice / reassurance as the lines are likely to be more busy tonight and onwards.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Dec 2023 13:09

I agree.

NHS 24 (111) on phone or online.
They will be very busy - and there's a long wait for a reply at the best of times - so the sooner the better.

It doesn't have to be an emergency - if it was, you'd be ringing 999.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2023 13:10

I ran out of covid tests and have ordered some online but with the public holidays here, they wont arrive until end of next week probably.

I have a friend who is a practice nurse so going to send a pic of my hands and see what she says. Our hospital has 2 wards closed due to Norovirus so i really dont want to go anywhere near there!

My son who doesnt live here has had temp/flu type symptoms for 10 days now and 23 staff are off with this virus!

So I guess that is doing the rounds.

Shall see what nurse J says and let you know.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2023 14:24

Hi Florence,
'Gransnet' has quite a few occurences of orange hands!

https://www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1273255-What-are-these-orange-stains-that-have-appeared-on-my-hands-overnight

May be as well to get a blood test, just to be sure it's 'nothing', and not your liver.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2023 16:26

Ty all for your suggestions. Yes Maggie I saw than too!

Now my friend Nurse J messaged her team of community nurses for me which was very kind of her and they have said, could be an overdose of Vit A , ie carrots orange juice or, new cleaning products etc. They have seen this before once or twice and it was nothing to worry about as it went away as quick as it came. Its not sore, itchy and nowhere else on my body.

If I still have the stains on wed, I shall send GP the photos I took and if necessary, a nurse will come and do bloods but shall see what happens.

I just got such a shock when I woke this morning as anyone would and wondered what it was. My friend nurse J leads the community nurses in her area so if she thought it was something that needed urgent attention, she would have said so I am reassured by what she told me.

Honestly, anything else going to happen before midnight???? I hope not

Thanks for your suggestions ladies

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Dec 2023 16:57

Reading some of that site suggests that many of the sufferers think it is down to food. But as you haven’t eaten anything in a couple of days it could easily be something else.
Unless you have drunk bowlfulls of carrot soup ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2023 17:36

Errrr def not! :-P

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jan 2024 16:24

I came up with a new theory. You’ve been on the rob and it is security stains. :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Jan 2024 17:11

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-er def not!!!
That made me howl.

I think some of the marks are starting to fade but not around my fingernails.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jan 2024 21:10

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2024 04:00

She would say that though wouldn't she nameslessone :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2024 10:11

;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jan 2024 13:07

:-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jan 2024 13:22

Oi oi :-D :-D :-D I used to work in the fraud dept don't you know!

Stains are def fading but still some showing.Nails look like I have stuck them in a bowl of Tumeric :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2024 13:38

Poachers make the best gamekeepers so it must work the opposite way :-D :-D

You've not been around any plants at all have you even repotting or anything?