Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders reviews for Oct Nov 13 books

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 6 Dec 2013 11:15

The Cornish House Liz Fenwick

I waited a long time for the library to get this book for me. Then after reading the first few pages I thought I had read it before. Only to find a few pages later that I was mistaken. It was a new book for me, as well as a debut novel for Liz Fenwick

I quite enjoyed the story but was sometimes a little put out when the story jumped forward to another time/day/week etc. without warning and still in the same chapter - it was rather disconcerting and i sometimes re-read a few sentences to make sure that I had't skipped a bit of text or missed something.

Although the story seemed to revolve mainly around Maddie, grieving widow and artist, with her step-daughter, Hannah, grieving teenage daughter of the deceased, taking a lesser role, I found Hannah to be the more interesting person, especially with her interest in the house and its past, when she had no family links to it.

Perhaps I am showing my straight laced side, when disapproving of the amount and frequency of the alcoholic intake by Maddie, Tamsin and their friends. "Having a drink" seemed to often be the solution to problems as well as a way to celebrate. :-(

My sympathies were with Hannah, when she was left alone in a large, cold, house, (with not much food) not knowing when her "adult in charge" would get home, or even where she was - no signs of setting a good example there then ;-) .

I suppose that I might be looking into the story too deeply, instead of reading it as a pure work of fiction, for some light relief and entertainment.

However, I think that if the story was told mainly from Hannah's point of view, (with little or no bad language) with Maddie taking the supporting role, Hannah would have become a more engaging person and Maddie slightly sel-centered and less deserving of our sympathy.

As far as Hannah was concerned - thank goodness for O.T. is all I can say!
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Will now go and look at the other reviews of this book.