Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dobbin

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 9 Jan 2014 19:41

looking for information on Margaret Jean Fox nee Dobbin. Thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2014 20:32

Welcome to GR Mary

Could you give a bit more information please, like when and where she was born? Even an estimate would help.

When did you last have contact with her, and where?
What is your reason for wanting information about her? Friend? Known relative you've lost contact with?

Have you tried searching all members trees to see if anyone has her listed?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2014 20:35

Either of these? From Search all members trees

2 matches for Margaret Dobbin

Margaret Dobbin 1966 Canada ... Christine
Margaret Dobbin 0 ... No Melissa

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jan 2014 20:36

Welcome to the boards Mary.

You need to give a little more information for anyone to be able to help. Any approximate year or place where last known?

Also better to say how you are connected if the lady is still living.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Jan 2014 22:09

Location, please...........and time-scale.

What have you done yourself to try to find her?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Jan 2014 08:42

Was she Jean Margaret Dobbin?

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/49991782/

Her husband died a few years ago according to a tree on Mundia.

Rose

Mary

Mary Report 10 Jan 2014 09:59

Thank you for your help and for the information. I am sorry that I seem to have hit a brick wall again. Please what is Mundia? I had hoped that you were maybe related to my side of the Dobbin family. I obviously have given you the wrong impression sorry.

Mary.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jan 2014 10:05

People who try to help on here are not related to you....unless they say so

Mundia is a website......google for it

As you have failed to give any date and location info, no-one on here can really help you

If you want us to try to help you..........be a little more forthcoming

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jan 2014 10:31

This man is in Mary's tree.....with no birthplace info

Marriages Jun 1875 (>99%)
DOBBIN John Foster Stockton 10a 74

Mary has not, as far as I can see, included birthplace info for any of the Dobbins in her GR tree

Births Mar 1876 (>99%)
DOBBIN John Joseph Stockton 10a 118

Marriages Jun 1898 (>99%)
Dobbin John Joseph Lanchester 10a 532

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jan 2014 10:32

1911 census

Person: DOBBIN, John Joseph Address: Bees Cottage Sutton St Durham

DOBBIN, John Joseph Head Married M 35 1876 Station Out Porter Old Cornforth Durham VIEW
DOBBIN, Mary Ann Wife Married12 years F 33 1878 Edmonsley Durham VIEW
DOBBIN, John Foster Son M 12 1899 School Newsboy Langley Park Durham VIEW
DOBBIN, Thomas Son M 10 1901 School Durham City VIEW****In the GR tree
DOBBIN, Doris Daughter F 8 1903 Durham City VIEW
DOBBIN, Elloner Daughter F 4 1907 Durham City VIEW
DOBBIN, Robert Son M 2 1909 Durham City :

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jan 2014 10:34

After Thomas, the only entry in this tree is for a MARY born 1943 - place not recorded

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jan 2014 10:42

No birth on freebmd - or FMP - for a Margaret J Dobbin in the north east......nor is there one for a Jean M....anywhere in England/Wales

These are the parents for the MARY I mentioned above

Marriages Dec 1934 (>99%)

Dobbin Thomas Suddes Durham 10a 774
Suddes Elsie M Dobbin Durham 10a 774

One other child of the marriage................in 1937 (male)

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2014 12:39

Mary

I have a feeling you have read Rose's or Reggies Researching box and think that was aimed at you?

I am afraid that comes up after everything they post the same as what is in mine and anyone else's who has posted on this thread

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Jan 2014 12:44

Mary, you may want to read the message called 'IMPORTANT - please read before you post a request' that is at the top of this forum. It explains what information you may want to give in your message and how members here can help you.

Sometimes people don't want to say 'so-and-so is my birth mother' or 'so-and-so is the child I gave up for adoption' ... to protect their own privacy and the other person's privacy ... but other members like to have an idea that a person is not a crazed stalker :-) ... so it is a good idea to say at least that the person you are looking for is a close relation or an old friend or your dad's old army buddy ...

(Mary may not have really wanted those recent birth details posted here ... this was rather easy to work out ...)

As everyone has seen there is no Fox-Dobbin marriage in England/Wales ... however there are Fox-Dobbin births ... so perhaps this was not a first marriage.

However, as noted there is also no Margaret J Dobbin born in England/Wales who would be the age to be mother of those children.

Is it possible that your Margaret Jean Fox is deceased? ... there are deaths recorded for that name.

Mary if you will give at least two pieces of information ... approximately when and approximately where your Margaret was born ... someone could perhaps help with your search.

It is very very unlikely that someone related will see your message at least right away. But you can see that if you do an internet search for 'margaret jean fox' the results include your message here so sometime in future, someone may find it. Remember to keep your email address in your account here current, even if you do not renew your membership people will be able to contact you if they join the site.

Mary

Mary Report 10 Jan 2014 12:56

Thank you all for the advice. I will post some more information. I am finding it a bit difficult to find my way around the website. would it help if I include more on the family tree.
Mary

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2014 13:09

Mary it would help more if you told us rather than having to search for it

No one can see your tree...we can only see the names dates and birth places you have entered if we search for the name Dobbin

Mary

Mary Report 10 Jan 2014 13:25

O.K.
Jean Margaret Fox,nee Dobbin b Ottawa
Shirley nee Dobbin b Ottawa
Father Robert Dobbin b 1908 Durham
Mother Laura
Robert was my father's brother and my uncle. My father was Thomas Dobbin b 2000.
I do not have a date of birth for Jean or Shirley. They also had a brother Douglas who died young. Most of my information for this branch is from family members who have now died.

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2014 13:30

So that link to a news clipping is for her as posted by Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Jan 2014 14:11

well done Rose :-)

google finds that there one other mention of John Patrick Fox in Ottawa in 1965

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42595602/

JOHN PATRICK FOX, BA (English major); ' California "State College " at Los Angeles,', plans to continue, his studies at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law in September. Son of Mr. and Mrs. John William Fox, 69 TtehfrewAvemie.-Wife:--the .. former Jean Dobbin.

... I don't see the tree at www.mundia.com unfortunately ...

There are some references on line to a Jean Fox in Ottawa but I do not see any that seem right (for example a Miss Jean Fox ...).

Does the Mundia tree say where her husband died? There could be an on-line obituary ...

jax

jax Report 10 Jan 2014 14:16

The tree on Mundia which is also on ancestry is owned by a member of the Fox family he hasn't logged in for over a year but may still have the same email address

http://www.mundia.com/gb/

It is free... search for Robert Dobbin 1908 died Ottawa

Edit Husband died in 1998 and tree is owned by one of her children