Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lyon family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 27 Jan 2015 10:05

hi this is the first time i've used this board so hope im using it correctly.
i'm looking for someone i think emigrated to new zealand in november 1978. I have his name and year of birth . does anyone know how i can trace him. he was born in 1952 so a good chance he will still be living. he married just before he emigrated. i haven't put his name on here incase its against the rules

Ru

Ru Report 27 Jan 2015 10:35

Hi Sharon,

As you know the name of this person, it would be a good idea to put a search in. Go to Search and enter details in Search all records.

You will find it will (may) come up with BMD and Migration. Basic details and names of people who emigrated and by which ship to which port and when.

You will have the details of the man and you can try it out.

We are unable to help without some starter and can understand your care not to mention names.

I am in NZ if you care to PM me and I will see what I can find. Suggest you make the search first just in case he went to OZ.

Good luck.

Sappho

Ru

Ru Report 27 Jan 2015 10:45

Sorry I have a feeling you can only look up travel and migration up to 1960.

I had a look and cannot see anyone connected.

Will keep looking.

Sappho

Sharon

Sharon Report 27 Jan 2015 12:14

Thanks . The name I'm looking for is graham r Lyon born 1952 in St helens . I have a subscription with ancestry and it gives me a record to view for his immigration to New Zealand in 1978 but I haven't got a worldwide subscription so I can't view it . I would love to be able to contact him at some point . Graham's wife was called Susan if that helps at all

Gritty

Gritty Report 27 Jan 2015 15:38

I think the record you're refering to on Ancestry is New Zealand, Naturalisations, 1843-1981- it's an index only record- just giving Graham Richard Lyon, his date and place of birth and the naturalisation date of 14 Nov 1978.

Gritty

Gritty Report 27 Jan 2015 15:43

Graham and Susan are listed on the 1981 NZ electoral register living in St Albans, Canterbury.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 15:49

Have you tried researching his siblings?

One of them may know where he is

Gritty

Gritty Report 27 Jan 2015 16:02

The Graham Richard Lyon born in 1952 St. Helens and who was NZ naturalised in 1978, emigrated in November 1958 with the following people all intending NZ as permenant residence (the DOB on shipping list and Naturalisation record are the same):

Mr Richard Lyon 1919
Mrs Lily Lyon 1918
Miss Brenda Lyon 1942

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 16:32

So the person who married could be a different man

How do you connect with this man, Sharon?

The child born in 1952 had two other siblings

There is another birth in 1952 for Graham R Lyon in a different area

Are you perhaps looking at the wrong birth?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 16:34

There was certainly a marriage for the name in St Helens district in 1978. I suppose it's possible that he returned to the UK to marry, but ...............

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 16:38

The address on the emigration record was that of a K J Lyon, which was the name of the eldest son of Richard and Lily

Ru

Ru Report 27 Jan 2015 16:38

St. Albans is a suburb of Christchurch NZ so we are looking at South Island from the information on the Electoral Roll.

There are a few Lyons in the local directory, but are spread out to Kaiapoi an urban town outside of the central Christchurch area.

Google Spark NZ (Telecom just changed name) and see what you can find.

A lot of families left our city after the Earthquakes and so have spread to our city, surrounds and nationally.

Will keep looking for you.

Good luck.

Sappho

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 16:44

the fourth child of the marriage

Births Sep 1950 (>99%)
Lyon Lillian Mercer St.Helens 10f 508

Deaths Sep 1950 (>99%)
LYON Lillian 0 St.Helens 10f 308

Sharon

Sharon Report 27 Jan 2015 17:02

Hi thank you everyone trying to help me . I think Graham's grandmother was my great grandmother . I've been researching my family a long time and only recently found this connection by chance . It's all a bit complicated and I'm hoping graham can fill in the gaps . Yes the eldest child is called Kenneth j m Lyon
Any help much appreciated

Sharon

Sharon Report 27 Jan 2015 17:02

Hi thank you everyone trying to help me . I think Graham's grandmother was my great grandmother . I've been researching my family a long time and only recently found this connection by chance . It's all a bit complicated and I'm hoping graham can fill in the gaps . Yes the eldest child is called Kenneth j m Lyon
Any help much appreciated

Sharon

Sharon Report 27 Jan 2015 17:21

The Richard Lyon I was following was born 1915 not 1919 . So I'm thinking I've got the wrong marriage for Richard Lyon .

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 22:36

Perhaps you would like to tell us the details of the person you think connects you with Graham, and how you link to her

Other eyes may find a different scenario

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 22:41

Births Dec 1915 (>99%)
Lyon Richard Jones Prescot 8b 1406

First name(s) RICHARD
Last name LYON
Gender Male
Birth day 29
Birth month 11
Birth year 1915
Age -
Death quarter 4
Death year 1996
District ST. HELENS
District number 0301B
Register number B39C
Entry number 105
Date of registration mm/yy 1196
County Lancashire
Country England

The parents

Marriages Jun 1915 (>99%)

Jones Ruth Lyon Prescot 8b 1367
Lyon Henry L Jones Prescot 8b 1367

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 22:45

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1892
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
LYON Henry Latham Wigan Wigan & Leigh HOWARTH WIG/186/452

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 22:49

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
236, Nut Grove Road, St Helens, Prescot, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Richard Lyon Head Married Male 32 1869 Coal Hewer St Helens, Lancashire, England Transcription
Agnes Lyon Wife Married Female 29 1872 - Wigan, Lancashire, England Transcription
Henry Latham Lyon Son Single Male 8 1893 - Wigan, Lancashire, England Transcription
Ellen Lyon Daughter Single Female 6 1895 - Wigan, Lancashire, England Transcription
Jane Lyon Daughter Single Female 3 1898 - Wigan, Lancashire, England Transcription
Robert Lyon Son Single Male 1 1900 - Wigan, Lancashire, England Transcription
William Storey Boarder Single Male 23 1878 Coal Hewer Wigan, Lancashire, England Transcription
Samuel Williams Boarder Single Male 28 1873 Coal Hewer Durham, Durham, England Transcription

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
236 Nutgrove Road St Helens, St Helens, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship to household head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Richard Lyon Head Widower Male 42 1869 St Helens Lancs Coal Miner Hewer Transcription
Henry Latham Lyon Son Single Male 18 1893 Wigan Lancs Coal Miner Haulage Transcription
Ellen Lyon Daughter Single Female 16 1895 Wigan Lancs - Transcription
Jane Lyon Daughter - Female 13 1898 Wigan Lancs - Transcription
Robert Lyon Son - Male 11 1900 St Helens Lancs - Transcription
Maggie Lyon Daughter - Female 8 1903 St Helens Lancs - Transcription