Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fitzpatricks of Fethard, Tipperary

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 14:08

Hello

My paternal ancestors were the Fitzpatricks of Fethard, Tipperary.

William Fitzpatrick was born in Mountrath, Queens County in 1845 and married Bridget McCarthy in 1878 Cork Cathedral. William was a constable in the Royal Irish Constabulary. His wife was a housekeeper

They had about 16/17 children, born from 1879 to 1904 in Fethard, Tipperary. Their names were Ellen, Katie, William, Thomas, Edward, William, Timothy, Gertrude, Frances, Catherine and Bridget.

Anyone whom recognizes these names, please let me know. I know little about the family and have no information on their descendants or photographs of the family.

thanks

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Feb 2015 14:26

Have you searched trees here Simon, to see if any of the names feature?

Just for ref , 1901
Residents of a house 39 in The Green (Fethard Fethard Town, Tipperary)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Fitzpatrick William 54 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Fitzpatrick Bridget 43 Female Wife R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Ellen 21 Female Daughter R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Katie 17 Female Daughter R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Bridget 15 Female Daughter R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Frances 6 Female Daughter R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Gertrude 5 Female Daughter R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Timothy 19 Male Son R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Thomas 14 Male Son R Catholic
Fitzpatrick Edward 13 Male Son R Catholic
Fitzpatrick William 10 Male Son R Catholic

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 14:43

Yes that's them

I am hoping someone on here is a descendant of one of those people. My family know very little of the Fitzpatricks.

I am descended from Frances

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Feb 2015 15:59

As already advised, look in search all member trees

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Feb 2015 16:01

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Fitzpatrick William 64 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Queens Co Insurance Agent Read and write - Married - 31 12 9
Fitzpatrick Bridget 54 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Cork Housekeeper Read and write - Married - 31 12 9 *********
Fitzpatrick William 22 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
Fitzpatrick Frances 16 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Fitzpatrick Gertrude 15 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Fitzpatrick Kathleen 7 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -

******TWELVE children born NINE living

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 16:37

I have checked the trees, cannot find anyone

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Feb 2015 17:00

Gertrude appears in another tree, tree owner Paul, though the membership number is not recent you could try messaging if he is using the same email he will receive notification

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 19:18

thanks

Is she married on the tree? Does the profile give a birth location?

I put in Gertrude's name on the public tree search and nothing seems to be coming up

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Feb 2015 19:26

may not be the right one in any case, it just came up as the same birth date as you have listed when I searched trees ...which is not the same date as on the census.

malyon

malyon Report 26 Feb 2015 20:14

Gertrude Fitzpatrick
Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes
Name: Gertrude Fitzpatrick
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: Apr - Jun 1920
Event Place: Cork, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1920
Registration District: Cork
Volume Number: 5
Page Number: 127

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 20:20

Strange that it didnt come up.

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 21:38

Just to let you guys know, Gertrude is the informant on her fathers death certificate in 1933. She is listed as Fitzpatrick, this means she may not be married by 1933, her sister Kathleen too was written as Fitzpatrick in 1930 under her mothers death certificate. Could mean that, at nearly 38 years old, Gertrude never married, but with the irritating nature of irish records, I am not completely sure

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Feb 2015 22:07

Several GR members have Fitzpatricks born in Fethard in their trees, admittedly with birth years somewhat earlier than those in 1901 census

You don't seem to have your tree on GR - it's one of the best ways of finding connections

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2015 22:52

Simon....
Ellen Fitzpatrick was born 26June 1879 and Baptised at St Finbarr's 29 June 1879.
Wm and Brid.were living on White St.

She appears to be the only child born in the Co Cork.

Looking at all the info you have from other sources I am not sure exactly what it is you are after wanting...

If you are looking to find out about the children of Wm and Brid. who they married etc .that's going to take some detective work...!!

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 26 Feb 2015 23:20

Yes, Ellen was born in County Cork. A few months later her father William was stationed at Tipperary South Riding, where he served as constable until 1899.

All the other children were born in Tipperary.

I have noticed a number of Fitzpatricks being born in Fethard on some trees, however because I have not found any marriage records for any of William and Bridget's sons, I do not know if they are related. I have asked a few of them, but they haven't replied.

Some of the children are in the 1901 census, but not the 1911 census, which meant those absent have married or moved away. Edward was serving in India at the time of the 1911 as a gunner and Katie died a few months after the 1901 census, aged 18 of tubercolosis

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2015 23:46

I will continue to peruse..!
I cannot see a Marriage for Wms parents Tim.Fitzpatrick and Cath Powers but if Cath did not come from Co Laois then you would need to be checking surrounding Counties...

Was Brid buried with Wm in the "Coffey" Grave do you know..?

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 27 Feb 2015 15:11

There's a marriage to a Tim Fitzpatrick and Catherine Pound in Mountrath, where William was born. What's the Coffey grave?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Feb 2015 19:22

Simon...Found this on a site...no other details other than Fethard Burial Grounds...(thought it may have been linked to one of your requests for info.)

Surname:
Coffey

In loving memory of
John J. Coffey
Late of 8, Ard-na-greine, New Ross
And Fethard
Died 12 May 1974, Aged 74 yrs.
His wife Ellen
Died 10 Fob. 1975, Aged 72 yrs.
(In loving memory of Mum & Dad)

Cemetery:
Calvary

Grave No:
G51, G61

Information:
Burial book states that William Fitzpatrick R.I.C. ,The Green was buried in G61 on June 23 1933 (grave was paid for by Miss Fitzpatrick on July 11 1933)

SimontheScholar

SimontheScholar Report 1 Mar 2015 00:20

Thanks

G61 is definately William Fitzpatrick, Miss Fitzpatrick his likely an unmarried daughter, since Bridget has died by then.

Is there a gravestone?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 1 Mar 2015 08:19

Not that I can see ..definitely one for the Coffey's but..check out this site..

http://fethard.com/burial_ground/record/record0136.html