Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ann Betty Freedman from Crewe

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marian

Marian Report 21 Mar 2015 16:02

Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able to help my sister, she has found out so much already about her real family but has now drawn blanks.
It is thought her father was a naval officer called P Munroe and that her real mother met him at a christmas party in 1941.He has now deceased.
In Oct 1942, my sister knows her mother was 20 years old and my sister was born on 29th Sept 1942 at Linden grange maternity home , she was christened a roman catholic and was breast fed for 5 weeks. This was at St Marys church in Crewe.
Registered birth it says the address as 10 Hillside Dr Crewe, C/O Mrs Price, godmother.
Doctor who attended mother and signed NCAA form was WL English and the referree was a Mrs A Thomason 14 Hillside Dr Crewe.
A copy of my sisters birth certificate gives my sisters birth name as Ann Larmour ???
A new address was given for Ann Betty Freedman as 111 Nantwich Rd Crewe,
and the grandfather was a merchant tailor.
on the 22nd Jan 1943,they take my sister to London for her new family to see, this was to be her choosing day.
On the 26th June 1943 a letter was sent to 111 Nantwich Rd and returned to London as gone away"

Is it possible for someone to unravel a bit more or point us in the right direction to continue?
We would be so grateful,as I was lucky enough to find my 2 original sisters after being adopted 70 yrs ago.
Marian

malyon

malyon Report 21 Mar 2015 16:54

hi
the only ann freedman born in crewe last quater is middle name ann L mother name freedman

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Mar 2015 17:09

Hi Marian,

On the birth certificate 3 col along is put name of child,

It only ever gives the christian name or names,,,,,,,its assumed that the surname will be the same as the Mother.
Freedman,

Also you seem to have the baptism cert ,which RC a referee or sponsor is a godparent,

The difference of addresses is that one was used for the birth and one was the original home address of Ann Betty.mother and baby homes always used an address and not a named establisment in these cases.

Marian

Marian Report 21 Mar 2015 17:44

I wonder if the Larmour bit ( cant quite read it,) is a middle name of sorts

Marian

Marian Report 21 Mar 2015 17:52

P Munroe was Canadian

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Mar 2015 17:59

I would make a guess the Larmour was just meant to be L'amour? ie Love in French, maybe the father was French Canadian? ( that is just a guess of course!)

Have you managed to find out from electoral rolls who lived at 111 Nantwich rd before and after the war?

EDIT On the other hand...a quick search of the name Larmour as a surname does bring up the name in the Cheshire area not far from Crewe....

Marian

Marian Report 21 Mar 2015 18:13

Thank you will have a look :-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Mar 2015 18:16

Likely Ann Freedman was not from Crewe but was evacuated or sent there to have the baby:

Marriages Dec 1947
Freedman Ann B Stilgoe Pancras 5d 1092
Stilgoe Henry A Freedman Pancras 5d 1092

Henry died in 1983 but I don't see Ann.

No other Freedmans show for births, marriages or deaths in that area.

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Mar 2015 18:18

Ann seems to have married in London, with no shown children to the marriage .but failing to find her birth but may have come the UK as a child.?

,,,,,,also the surname Freedman shows it was popular round the East End,,,,,maybe German?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Mar 2015 18:46

Probably had Jewish ancestry.

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Mar 2015 20:31

Ann---remarried as Betty in 1953 as Stilgoe/Freedman ,,,,,,,,and became Hackett.

cant see any childrens births.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Mar 2015 20:43

Good spot Kay!

She married Mr Hackett twice, once in St Marylebone and once in Westminster.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Mar 2015 21:02

Possible?

Births Sep 1921
Freedman Beaty Mendelofsky Holborn 1b 1060

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Mar 2015 21:32

Births Sep 1921
Freedman Beaty
possible marriage for 1939,?

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Mar 2015 21:35

Would someone with Jewish ancestry have had the baby in an RC home though? I know it's not impossible but I would have thought it unlikely ?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Mar 2015 21:58

Wonder if a stepdads surname was taken,,,,as Ann and Betty dont seem to fit with other Freedmans names around that time.,,,,,,perhaps a bapt wouldnt be accepted into the Jewish faith out of wedlock.?

Gritty

Gritty Report 21 Mar 2015 23:19

Perhaps the only way forward is to order one of her marriage certificates

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 22 Mar 2015 02:04

Just to check .. the search is for the birth mother

If the birth data is correct ( Russian Jews ? )

Name: Ralph Freedman
Spouse Surname: RAY Mendelofaky ?? CHECKED IT IS A FEMALE NAME
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1921
Registration district: Mile End Old Town
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 1c
Page Number: 630

this looks like her sister

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/48369045/person/20323034719

Her husband
Monty Myer Rayner ( Montague )
Birth 19 Feb 1928 in Stepney, Greater London
Death October 22 2002 in Ontario, Canada

Marian

Marian Report 22 Mar 2015 15:53

very interesting, my sister says her birth mother was c of e though, just realised

Marian

Marian Report 22 Mar 2015 16:15

I have found the Ann Stilgoe marriage then it says she married Andrew Friar??? Warrington still.
Have also found an Ann B Freedman from New York, this could be more trickier than first thought. :-S