Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Theresa (Mary) Farrelly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Jun 2015 21:19

Does anyone remember Mary Theresa Farrelly who worked for Lyons Corner House , Oxford St in 1952 if so I would love to hear from you. Regards, Margaret

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Jun 2015 21:37

Several other threads on this. You are better off adding to those rather than posting a new message as there is the danger helpers with duplicate all the previous work.

Anyone using Google will find you other threads if they are searching for this name so more aren't really necessary.

Rose

malyon

malyon Report 4 Jun 2015 22:01

is that her married name

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jun 2015 02:20

Margaret, to make it plain since it seems not to have been in the past:

please do not post more than one thread about the same thing.

This is a rule of the board

doing otherwise ensures that people will waste their time going over the same road that has already been gone over by others

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1322182

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1348228

(Yvonne you posted in that thread, do you want to waste your own time when Rose has already pointed out the problem?)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1351787

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1351790

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1351791

Please stop doing this.

I would suggest that you take the information about your adoption file that you posted in this thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1351787

and add it here, along with any other useful information you have been given along the way, and keep this thread as the one to use from now on.

If you do not receive replies it is because no one has any suggestions. Starting all over again is not going to help. Just add another post to the thread you have, say this one now, if you want to add information or ask whether anyone else can suggest anything.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jun 2015 02:28

for convenience, this is the information in that other thread (which is titled about another person, so best to use this one with the correct name in the title)

----------------------

I have now had access to my file. My birth mother (Mary Theresa Farrelly, 90 Highbury, Islington (pre-birth) worked for Lyons Corner House Oxford Street up until 8 days before I was born in July 1952. I was born in London Free Hospital Maternity Annex 4 weeks prematurely. Apparently my birth mother left there on 18.07.52 but did not return to her home according to her landlady. She left me with Mr & Mrs Greensitt (who were foster parents) when I was 5 weeks old, saying she was going to look for a foster parent in Camberwell.

That was the last anyone saw of her. I can't help but think Mr & Mrs Greensitt must have known her but it was all so long ago that there is no-one to ask. Not sure where to go from here as I dont know how old she was, hospital notes say about 19. Someone from Crusade of Rescue has put in file they thought she had a brother living at 46 Guidford Rd SW8 but thought he might have gone into the Army (No name mentioned). A long post but if anyway could suggest another avenue to go down I would be grateful.

-----------------------

There was an election in late 1951 and her brother could have been on the electoral roll

you can view the electoral roll at the library closest to the address and check who was living at the brother's address at that time, and you could also check your mother's address (although she was too young to be on the list herself) to see who the occupants were.

edit

Rambling Rose provided info in the other thread

electoral roll for 1952

Name: Sarah Greensitt
Year: 1952
County or Borough: Southwark
Ward or Division/Constituency: Dulwich
Street address: 3 Heaton Road
with John W Greensitt

also posted were the deaths of John and Sarah in 1967 and 1962

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jun 2015 02:52

again gathering info from other threads

----------------------

I now know that Cornelius B Coughlan married Mary Theresa Farrelly in Islington in 1959. I believe Mary was born approx 1933 and assume they were both Irish as I cannot find any information on their births. I have an address of 90 Highbury, Islington for Mary in 1952 but cannot find any other information. I would be grateful for any leads and would love to know if they had any children.

-----------------------

this information was provided privately and in another thread

Name: Mary Theresa Coughlan
Birth Date: 13 May 1935
Date of Registration: Mar 1999
Age at Death: 63
Registration district: Brent
Inferred County: Middlesex
Register Number: C30A
District and Subdistrict: 2211A
Entry Number: 218

Name: Cornelius Coughlan
Birth Date: 1 Mar 1929
Date of Registration: Jul 1997
Age at Death: 68
Registration district: Brent
Inferred County: Middlesex
Register Number: C33D
District and Subdistrict: 2211D
Entry Number: 107

there was a child to their marriage ... in 2014 you said you would love to know that information, you need only search at freebmd using the two surnames

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

... and you know this because he is in your tree ... but here you are starting a thread again without informing anyone about what information you have

if you look at the main forum list you can see how many times your post has been viewed ... and you can imagine the odds against anyone who happened to know Mary 60 years ago seeing it ...

if you obtained Mary's death certificate you would possibly find that the child is named on the certificate with an address that might be useful for searching

if you obtain Mary's marriage certificate it will give you Mary's father's name and the witnesses might also possibly be family

have you not arranged to do these things even after being given the marriage and death information?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Jun 2015 09:37

People will stop trying to help if you persist in posting multiple requests about the same thing............and seemingly then not following the advice people give

If info isn't posted, it's because none has been found.

You sometimes have to accept this...................disappointing though it may be

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jun 2015 21:01

I'm sorry I seem to have upset people. I dont have proof that the Mary Farrelly who married Cornelius is the Mary I am looking for, think I will give up.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Jun 2015 09:25

Buy the certificates!

As long as who ever registered the death had precise information, it will also list her place of birth.

Anyone who was a colleague of Mary when she worked at the restaurant would be at least in their late 70's, possibly older.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Jun 2015 18:04

Margaret it is no skin off anybody else's nose if you give up, and getting huffy about being reminded, once again, that you are breaking the rules and saying you will take your ball and go home is just childish.

do you expect information to fall into your lap, or other people to find it all for you?

nobody who knew Mary 50 years ago is going to see these messages of yours at this site ... so far a grand total of 32 people have looked at it

the one possibility is that some day, someone related will do an internet search for her name and find this thread - try it

so it is important to keep your email address up to date at this website so if someone sends you a message you will get a notice ... also click 'Watch This' at the top so if someone adds a post you get a notice

Go to freebmd and attach a 'Postem' saying you would like to contact family of Mary (best not to give details) and include an email address ... for that purpose and at this site it is best to use an anonymous permanent online account like at Gmail so you will always have access to it

to find someone, you have to look for them as many ways as you can

you don't know whether the person who married is the person you are looking for ... but if you get the marriage certificate you will have a new set of information that could help you figure that out, and ditto the death certificate

at this point the similarities seem rather striking

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 7 Jun 2015 17:43

It maybe that Magaret is in despair rather than throwing her toys out of the cot.

Since I cannot see where anyone has told her how to access her threads may I try to help..from one senior citizen to another who found difficulties understanding sites.

On the left hand side of your screen you will see Tools, under that is my threads which will take you to all the threads you have posted..As folks have said ,it is better for everyone, yourself included, as that way all the information given/received is in one place.

I do not know if you were adopted or put into care but either way feel you should be getting help from Social Services as they would hold all your records.

The hospital would have been given an addess fo a start.

One thing not clear to me is where you say Mum did not return to her landladies but left you at 5 weeks old with the Greensits..Where was she for those 5 weeks ?

There are 6 Mary t Farrelly's on Familysearch from 1931 to 1936 I searched-just type familysearch and it should come up.

But as I said you shouldbbe getting some help.

Wishing you All the best

P.S. Forgot to say all the births I found on familysearch were in Ireland

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Jun 2015 19:41

Thank you so much, I really wasn't "getting huffy" and the info you have given me re Tools was really helpful.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Jun 2015 22:34

Autumnleaves

Two points.

ONE If you take the time actually to look at Margaret's numerous threads, you will see that she does not need any advice about how to find them. She has posted responses on all of them, which, by definition, means that she knows how to find them!.

TWO

A number of people have tried to help, and have given advice which has not so far been taken.

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Jun 2015 22:41

Oh dear. I previously went all round the houses before I got back to these replies but not any more. I also was not aware of Family Search, thank you Autumnleaves, again much appreciated. By the way, I have managed to work out how to buy Certificates and am awaiting them.

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 7 Jun 2015 23:55

Jaqueline

I did read the threads and have to say I have great respect for all the people who posted on this ladies threads.

However I felt the overiding concern that she may not have understood how to access her posts. Plus I was concerned she may have been very upset.

She is now a senior citizen and may not be very computer literate..I still have lots to learn!

I do appreciate how frustrating it must be for the experienced helpers when advice seems to be ignored..hence why I thought she may need help finding the postings.

It is all too easy once one knows how to do things, so hope you will forgive and have patience with us lesser mortals.

I don't suppose any of us would wish to be in Margarets situation at her age.

Kind Regards to all of you.

ann

ann Report 8 Jun 2015 00:31

Autumnleaves You have hit the nail on the head. And Margaret good luck xx

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jun 2015 17:27

Thank you