Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

searching for family.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jul 2015 16:06

I'm looking for David Goss of Hitchin who has a sister Sylvia. Their Mother was called Daphne Chalkley and she had a Brother called Charlie Chalkley. I'm Charlies Daughter and would like to speak to anyone who knows these people so I can make contact with them can anyone help. :-)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Jul 2015 16:15

Have you looked in the phone book?

Or in search trees? (Assuming you know birth years)

It's extremely unlikely that anyone who knows them will stumble across your post

As your surname on here is not Chalkley, does 'Charlie' know about you?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Jul 2015 16:32

You have Daphne in your tree as being born in 1915

There is no record on freebmd of any such birth

You have Charles born 1919........again, no such birth

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jul 2015 16:41

Charlie has passed away Daphne has also passed away but she had two children David and Sylvia last living in Hitchin.??

malyon

malyon Report 15 Jul 2015 17:50

there is a charlie chalkley born 1919 hitchin

and a daphne born 1929 hitchin

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Jul 2015 17:57

Nicola try social media site such as Facebook for your Goss cousins,they could have joined it.

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jul 2015 18:09

Charlie was born in 1919 Daphne I'm not sure about I thought she was older than Charlie but looks like she was younger. The reason everything is vague is because I was adopted half the family I am in touch with and I was given David and Sylvias names today by another Chalkley family member who has lost touch with them. I'm just trying to piece my family together I'm not an impostor.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 18:12

Jaqueline, a case of no divorce maybe

('tweren't me)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 18:27

understandable Nicola, I was just explaining why your name might not match up with what we might expect (usually adopted children are born to never married women)

just to make it a bit clearer

you are the daughter of Charlie Chalkley 1919

his sister Daphne had children called
David Goss
Sylvia Goss

I think Daphne's name wasn't Chalkley ... Charlie was born before their mother married and Daphne after

you can find these details here

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

She was Daphne Osborne born 1928 Hitchin, with mother named Chalkley

Ethel Chalkley married George Osborne in 1927 in Hitchin

then Daphne Osborne, their daughter, married Walter Goss in 1947

but only David J Goss born in 1948 in Hitchin has those surnames

Sylvia must have been born before that marriage?
... but I don't see a Sylvia Osborne with mother Osborne either

so Sylvia is a bit of a mystery still

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Jul 2015 18:37

Sylvia has MMN Osbourne.

Also looks to be another daughter too.

Rose

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jul 2015 18:42

How weird Ethel as far as I am sure never married she is buried with Charlie up at Hitchen cemetery still under the name Chalkley. Ethel had seven sisters only one married Charlie and all the other children the Chalkley sisters had were by French Belgian and American. Service men during the war this is so strange.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Jul 2015 18:53

Sylvia's children are all on Facebook.

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 19:22

urgh Rose, I had to go get the shopping from the tall dude when he arrived all shorn and cleanshaven from his trip to town, now I feel dumb :-)

Nicola I noticed all those Chalkley-Chalkley births in Hitchin !

Ethel did indeed marry but Daphne was the only child

married in july-august-september 1927

Daphne was born in April 1928 so may have been a bit of a rush job that just didn't take

Name: Daphne Joan Goss
>>> Birth Date: 15 Apr 1928
Date of Registration: Dec 1983
Age at Death: 55
Registration district: Hitchin
Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 10
Page: 0507

and yes that possible birth much later ... does that symbol in the index indicate adoption? and the vol/page number doesn't fit with Hitchin even w/o the S

Nicola just wondering whether Daphne had a later child and maybe gave the child up for adoption?

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jul 2015 19:45

Thank you all so much for your help I am not on Facebook but if anyone would like to pass my details on to Sylvia's children or something that would be great it's fantastic how every one chips in and helps thanks once again you've turned up some really useful information which is all news to me.

malyon

malyon Report 15 Jul 2015 20:09

thre is a marriage for a sylvia A goss IN hitchin1973 to giddings

sylvia goss born 1954 hitchin mother osbourne

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 20:16

Nicola you don't have a family tree here?

Do you know the person who has Sylvia in their tree at this site?

it's worthwhile for you to put up a tree even if you don't maintain a membershp

as long as you keep a current email in your account, you will get a notice of any messages sent to you and you will be able to reply to them

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jul 2015 22:11

I don't know the person who has Sylvia in there tree I wish I did I'll have to try and do one but any more information any one can give me would be brilliant.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Jul 2015 22:18

I didn't think you were an impostor

I thought maybe you were asking on behalf of someone else, which often happens.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jul 2015 23:22

Nicola, just send a message to the person with Sylvia in their tree ... unfortunately most people who put trees here don't keep up and when they change their email address they don't update it here so they don't get messages

all we can do is try in that situation

if you haven't done it, looking in the upper right of your screen, hover over Seach and select Search All Member Trees, then just search for Sylvia, and in the results, click on Find Out More to send a message

sometimes it's best just to say 'I think Sylvia is a member of my family, are you in touch with her and does she have a brother ...'

Nicola

Nicola Report 16 Jul 2015 06:08

I have found the members tree with Sylvia in and sent an email thanks for telling me how to do that I guess all I can do is wait now.