Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Muriel Cummings (nee French)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 16 Jul 2015 15:43

I am researching the French Family's history and would like to make contact with members of the Cummings family believed to be living in the Coggishall (Farm) Area. Their mother Muriel (Gladys) Cummings (nee French) was born 1897 in Jubalpore, India,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jul 2015 16:28

Have you searched all members trees for mutual ancestors and sent messages to any tree owners?

Rather than us repeat your search to identify potentially living relations, could you bring us up to date?

You may find the BT phone book on line useful
http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha
Free ER listings
https://www.freeelectoralroll.co.uk/
Cross reference to check if current using the post code and name on
http://www.192.com/

Not everyone has an interest in FH, but you may strike lucky :-)

malyon

malyon Report 16 Jul 2015 21:17

i dont see a marriage for cummings and french with name muriel french

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2015 21:46

She also married in India

First name(s) Muriel Gladys
Last name French
Marriage year 1921
Marriage date 30 Jul 1921
Spouse's first name George Sylvester
Spouse's last name Cumming
Place Jubbulpore
Presidency Bengal
Groom's age 21
Bride's age 23
Groom's father's first name George
Groom's father's last name Cumming
Bride's father's first name William
Bride's father's last name French
Catalogue description Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bengal, : 1713-1948
Archive reference N-1-455
Folio number 155
Entry number 7
Record set British India Office marriages
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain
brightsolid online publishing ltd.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2015 21:53

Name around the other way

Name: Gladys Muriel Cumming
Birth Date: abt 1898
Port of Departure: Bombay, India
Arrival Date: 18 Dec 1924
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: California
Search Ship Database: Search for the California in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: Anchor Line
Official Number: 147871

Travelling with George Cummings aged 24 occ Police
Joyce Elizabeth aged 2
Beryl Evelyn aged 1

Address in UK 32 Sidney Street ,Saltcoats . Scotland

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jul 2015 23:55

Coggishall appears to be in Essex, not to be confused with CoggEshall Farm Bristol, Rhode Island, USA

The post code for the Essex Coggishall starts CO9. There a number of entries on 192.com which may be relevant. Where the year ends 2004, although they may have moved, they also have decided to opt out of the commecial roll

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Jul 2015 00:01

Although there are a few births 1921-1945 for Cummings mmn French on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl they may be from a different marriage.
Births in Scotland will be on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ which is a pay to view site.

Jean, you obviously have some names already. If you want help to find them please tells us what they are, including any initials, and their year of birth. The first names of their spouses, if you know them, would be helpful as well!

Jean

Jean Report 20 Jul 2015 16:38

Thank you for all the information and suggestions (which I will look into).
The marriage details fit into the information which I hold. Her full name was Muriel Gladys Clark Cummings (nee French) (known as Gladys) and she died in 1937, I think either in Cambridgeshire or Coggishall, Essex. There are another three children all born in Scotland but I have the name of only one of the three which is "Muriel" and she was born in 1930/31. The whole family eventually moved from Scotland to relatives in Cambridge - to her sister Beryl Greenwood (deceased) - and they have unfortunately lost touch with this side of the family.

I do have details on her siblings and their families, but they cannot help me with my quest to find the maiden name of Jane Eveline French (nee Stacey), the grandmother of Muriel G.C. Cummings.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jul 2015 05:11

the maiden name of Jane Eveline French (nee Stacey)

er ... that is her maiden name ... Stacey ... no?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jul 2015 06:32

deleted pointless searches based on inaccurate info

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jul 2015 06:41

deleted pointless and unacknowledged searches based on inaccurate info

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jul 2015 06:53

deleted pointless searches based on inaccurate info

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Jul 2015 21:35

Muriel's death - not in 1937:

Muriel G C Cumming
in the England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Muriel G C Cumming
Birth Date: abt 1898
Date of Registration: Mar 1941
Age at Death: 43
Registration district: Cambridge
Inferred County: Cambridgeshire
Volume: 3b
Page: 1328

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Jul 2015 21:46

EDIT:

Deleted info re French births in Scotland.
Should have been looking for Cumming(s) births - misunderstood Jean's post.

These are all the Cumming(s) births in Ardrossan reg district (because of mention of Saltcoats in an earlier post by Shirley) 1920-40.

I would guess George French Cumming is definitely one of MGCC (nee F)'s children. You'd have to buy certs to see if any of the others are. Not possible to enter mms as search term.

No sign of a Muriel.

1927 CUMMING GEORGE FRENCH
M ARDROSSAN NEW /AYR 576/02 0024

1939 CUMMING GEORGE MCCRINDL
M SALTCOATS /AYR 612/00 0030

1930 CUMMING GEORGE SHARPE
M ARDROSSAN OLD /AYR 576/01 0101

1928 CUMMING JAMES DOUGLAS
M ARDROSSAN OLD /AYR 576/01 0131

1921 CUMMING MARGARET
F ARDROSSAN NEW /AYR 576/02 0086

1925 CUMMING MARGARET BELL
F ARDROSSAN OLD /AYR 576/01 0067

1935 CUMMING MYRA F ARDROSSAN NEW /AYR 576/02 0073

1920 CUMMINGS EILEEN F ARDROSSAN NEW /AYR 576/02 0192

Jean

Jean Report 22 Jul 2015 00:18

William French was born in 1839 in London to Thomas and Mary French. The 1851 Census shows that he had a sister Mary Ann Elizabeth French born 1836. She married a John Moody.

William French emigrated to India during the Victorian Era and married Catherine Eliza Smith-Coombes in Buxar, Bengal, India in 1873 and had seven children, Louse, Elizabeth, Thomas, Harry, Catherine, Alice and Eileen.

William then married Jane Eveline Stacey in Agra in 1894 and they had four children, George Leslie, Louis Alfred, Francis Beryl and Muriel Gladys Clark (Clark was her paternal grandmother's name). I have the details of their births/baptisms.

I am searching for the Cummings family in the hope that they may have the information I am desperately trying to find and that is the maiden name of Jane Eveline's mother.

I have details of a Hannah O'Niel (Cowan) married to a Thomas Stacey (a Thomas Stacey is listed as Jane's father). Their marriage took place in1869 in Umballa, Bengal, which fits in neatly with Jane's birth. However, according Francis Beryl French's diary Jane and her mother were born in India, the mother being brought up by nuns in an orphanage. I am still looking into the Thomas/Hannah side in case the facts have not been recorded correctly in the diary.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Jul 2015 01:52

Jean you said

'I do have details on her siblings and their families, but they cannot help me with my quest to find the maiden name of Jane Eveline French (nee Stacey), the grandmother of Muriel G.C. Cummings.'

Jane Eveline French ... grandmother of Muriel G.C. Cummings

now you say

'William then married Jane Eveline Stacey in Agra in 1894 and they had four children, ... Muriel Gladys Clark'

So Jane Eveline Stacey was the mother, not grandmother, of MGCF

so I guess you meant to apologise for the inaccuracy in what you said that I was going on ... and I would not have wasted my time trying to divine who Muriel Gladys Clark Cummings' father's mother was

granted you didn't specifically say you wanted *help* with this question, but that actually is the question ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Jul 2015 14:36

also, from all the info in the thread

Gladys Muriel's marriage
births of children in Scotland
births of children in England
Gladys Muriel's death

her name was CUMMING not CummingS as given in the OP and throughout

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Jul 2015 15:59

the births of the two children Muriel and Barbara in England are easily found at freebmd using surnames Cumming and French

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

daughter Muriel married in England and was on the electoral roll until 2002 but no death is recorded to 2007

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/bonner/muriel/co5/3606373346/

the complete address for that listing is available at

http://www.freeelectoralroll.co.uk/

the births of daughter Muriel's children are also easily found at freebmd under her husband's surname (as in the above electoral roll listing) and Cumming

another child is shown at Ancestry (freebmd is not up to date that far) and that child is shown in the electoral roll listing at the link above, under her married name

(unfortunately, the person with that grandchild's name and year of birth who is in trees here at Genesreunited is the other person with the same name and year of birth, amazingly)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Jul 2015 16:36

this looks very likely to be the marriage and death of Margaret Bell Cumming born 1925 in Scotland as suggested in the births provided by ArgyllGran

Name: Margaret B Cumming
Spouse Surname: Starling
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1951
Registration district: Cambridge
Inferred County: Cambridgeshire
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 575

Name: Margaret Bell Starling
Birth Date: 18 Jun 1925
Date of Registration: Feb 2007
Age at Death: 82
Registration district: Bury St ed
Inferred County: Suffolk
Volume: -1
Page: -1
Register Number: B39D
District and Subdistrict: 742/1B
Entry Number: 068

electoral roll listing for her and her husband before her death

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/starling/margaret/ip32/2831317019/

this is the current telephone listing for her husband

http://tinyurl.com/p83oqvc

i.e. this is the widower of Muriel Gladys French Cumming's daughter

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jul 2015 15:51

Sadly, the probable son George French Cumming, whose birth I posted earlier, died in infancy:

1927 CUMMING GEORGE FRENCH M 0 ARDROSSAN NEW /AYR 576/02 0013