Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Margaret Georgiou

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 1 Aug 2015 11:42

Hi,

I am trying to find the long lost half sister of a friend of mine. She was born Margaret Georgiou in August 1944 in Islington, London. I have a copy of her birth certificate. She seems to have married at least twice, as I have two marriage certs. The first to William John Bishop in 1963 in St.Marylebone, London. Then the second marriage was to a John Hirst in 1976 in Camden, London. She also seems to have had one daughter to her first marriage, a Helen Bishop born in 1968 in Hammersmith, London. She seems to have used several different surnames when she married, all related to her fathers name, those surnames were Kyriacou and Kay.
I have looked at the Electoral Roll, but find the information on there unreliable.
Any help or suggestions as to where to look now would be most helpful.

Dave

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 12:17

Search trees is always worth checking

When did your friend last have contact?

Please be discreet when discussing living people............they have privacy rights

What is 'unreliable' about the ER?

If you mean that you can't find people, remember that one can opt out of the public version

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2015 12:33

You have two births for the same name mixed up,,,,,,1944 and 1945 ,if you check the marriages you will find that Kay also applies to the marriage that matches the 1945 birth........

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 13:02

If the lady re-married, it should have been in her first married name

You refer to 'certs'

Do you actually have marriage certs.............I think you probably mean you've found records on the GRO index

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 13:09

The lady who married Hirst was almost certainly born in 1955

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 13:11

GEORGIOU MARGARET 1945 — 1945 England & Wales births 1837-2006 Pancras, London, England

GEORGIOU MARGARET 1946 1946 1946 England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Hampstead, London, England

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2015 13:29

David ,If you check the assumed parents marriage details on freebdm, with the two surnames of the 1946 birth you can cleary see where Kay surname fits in.

David

David Report 1 Aug 2015 13:56

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the replies. As one of you has pointed out I am not certain how far I can go when talking about a living person that I am trying to find.

I will try now to answer those that have replied.

I believe my friend last saw her half sister as small children.

I posted a question about two weeks ago about the Electoral Roll, and from the replies I got, the general consensus is that addresses and ages were incorrect, and not accurate.

From my research so far, The Margaret Georgiou born in 1945, died when she still a child.

When she married for the second time, she used her previous marriage surname, plus her maiden name, which she stated was Kyriacou not Georgiou.

Yes I do have copies of both marriage certificates.

To answer Jacqueline's question regarding the Hirst marriage being born in 1955, that is in fact a different Margaret Bishop/John Hirst marriage, I know that because I know where they are now.

On the birth certificate for the correct Margaret Georgiou born in 1944 in Islington, her father is listed as Georgios Kyriacou Georgiou sometimes George Kay, and her mother is Johanna Wirnsperger or Winsporger. They married in 1939.

Hope this answers most of the questions.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2015 14:27

The marriage in 1976 indexes show,,,,2 surnames the woman had been known as,,,,,,,,,as her fathers names in marriages is--GGK,,,,,,it would be assumed they dropped the last surname and introduced the one beginging with K===Kyriacou,? to avoid confusion, or perhaps it was a register office slip up?as both christain and surname are a nearly identical.

It can be seen how a present day electoral wont be easy to search...but the 1976 marriage is almost a 99.9 match for the same woman.

Have you done any searching into any off spring from the 1976 mariage.?

The Hampstead birth of 1946 would certainly look to have died.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 14:46

Ages are not recorded on the ER....only an 'age range'

And addresses are correct........they have to be

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 14:52

Marriages Jun 1939 (>99%)

Georgiou Georgios K Wirnsperger Chelsea 1a 1124
Kay George Wirnsperger Chelsea 1a 1124
Wirnsperger Johanna Georgiou Chelsea 1a 1124
Wirnsperger Johanna Kay Chelsea 1a 1124

OK David, having searched again using different criteria, I see now that the re-marriage in 1976 was recorded under two names.......which is perfectly normal, as the cert would have included her maiden name

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 15:01

On the 1976 cert, what is her 'status'?

Does she give the same details for her father on both certs?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2015 15:03

JOHANNA
Last name KYRIACOU
Gender Female
Birth day 22
Birth month 1
Birth year 1912
Age -
Death quarter 1
Death year 1984
District CAMDEN
Register number 384
County London
Volume 14
Page 2368
Country England
Record set England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain.

wonder if this is the mothers death,?

David

David Report 1 Aug 2015 16:24

Hi,

Thanks for the latest replies. Regarding the death of Johanna Kyriacou in 1984, yes I believe that is the mother.

When I said ages on the ER, I meant age ranges.

On the Marriage certificate for 1976 it states 'previous marriage dissolved'.

It does give the same fathers name on both marriage certificates, which says George Kyriacou.

Dave

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2015 17:43

On reading up it seems that ----Georgios and Georgiou are the same translating into George,,,,,,,,and somwhere a hick has occured in that Georgiou has been mistaken as a surname and Kyriacou is a common Greek surname.probally when Margaret married it had to be registered in the registered birth name.?

Have you thought she could have re-married again?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Aug 2015 18:27

I see 2 more children to the first marriage.

Will send you the details.

Look for these names in Search All Member Trees at the top.

Looks like they are in trees on here.

Rose

David

David Report 1 Aug 2015 19:12

Rose,

Thank you Rose, that's a great new potential lead, I will check it out.

Many thanks,

Dave

David

David Report 1 Aug 2015 19:25

Hi Rose,

You could be correct, in that there are two more children. I contacted a John Bishop who has a family tree on here over a month ago, and have send him three messages, but he has not replied. He could be the key to finding Margaret. Do you or anyone else know how to contact him.

Thanks

Dave

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Aug 2015 20:01

A month isn't long.............

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2015 20:35

also two who have tree listed the named person in this thread,,,,,,,,related or you know of them David.?