Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Oliver and Eric Oliver

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 8 Aug 2015 16:24

i am Ann Oliver's daughter.David, Eric and Ann had been placed in a childrens home in Little Eaton in Derby . Ann was born in Kirby Wiske in 1941. her parents Frank and Melba. Can anyone help me trace David, Eric or any other family

kind Regards

Angela

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 18:14

Do Eric, Ann and David have middle initials? and what was their mother's maiden name please,

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 18:20

Mothers maiden name Hamilton? if so Eric has no middle initial, David W, Ann S...are you aware of a Josephine, born same location?

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 18:27

There is an Eric Oliver born 1942, birthplace "unsure" on a tree on here, have you tried sending a message?

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 8 Aug 2015 18:31

Welcome to the boards Angela.

I am confused.

Ann born 1941........parents Frank and Melba.

Frank and Melba married in 1950.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 18:39

I saw that one PH but doesn't match with the births :-S I can't find a Hamilton/Oliver marriage to match the births either

Angela

Angela Report 8 Aug 2015 19:49

Not sure of the Maiden name of Melba . Ann shirley oliver is my mother and i dont know middle names of her brothers.mum had a younger sister who was a babe in arms when mum was placed in the home .i remember mum saying she was called Jocelyn though. im a beginner on here so not sure what im doing as yet but i will look for Josephine . And thank you for your replies you dont know what that means to me :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 19:59

Angela, I think the place to start is with your mum's birth cert to confirm her mother's maiden name if possible.

The marriage of Frank to Melba is on freebmd.org uk, it looks like Melba was born 1925 so would have been very young to have a child in 1941, but I wouldn't discount her. It is just possible that she used the name Hamilton when registering the children rather than her real name if she was not married at that point ( it being war time might mean she was evacuated to family in Yorks?)

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 20:05

Seems that Melba L Oliver died 1983 in Colchester.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 20:08

in 1952 electoral roll, Melba and Frank were living with her parents( surname Dimmock) in Wood green

Angela

Angela Report 8 Aug 2015 21:17

the only other thing i remember is David went to live in Middlesbrough with Melba when he left the children's home .i have a few photos and thats all. ive checked and Hamilton looks like the right name .Looks like ive got alot of work to do

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Aug 2015 21:20

How sure are you of the parent's names?

Marriages Mar 1941
Hamilton Olive M Oliver Richmond 9d 1439
Oliver Eric Hamilton Richmond 9d 1439

This is closer to Thirsk.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Aug 2015 21:26

Wait! You have her listed as Melba Olive in your tree on here, so perhaps that marriage is the correct one?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Aug 2015 21:28

When did he leave the home? There are more Oliver/Hamilton births in Middlesboro in the 50s.

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Aug 2015 21:52

Ann S,
Eric and David W were all registered in Thirsk,,,,,,North Yorkshire,,,,,,,which Thirsk is also the reg district for Kirby Wiske,

,seems the Melba Dimmock may have been a stepparent.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Aug 2015 21:53

Slaps myself...I saw that Richmond marriage and thought Surrey ...doh! :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Aug 2015 21:56

and of course Josephine,,,,,,,was Frank in the army,,,,,,as Richmond N Yorks covers Catterick,!!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Aug 2015 22:00

I'm as confused as anybody else here :-)

first, this is the Melba who died in 1983

Melba Lilian Oliver 1925 Dec 1983 Colchester Essex

her name comes from this marriage

Marriages Dec 1950
Dimmock Melba L - Oliver Edmonton 5e 665
Oliver Frank - Dimmock Edmonton 5e 665

so that is the person living with Dimmock parents in Wood Green

Births Jun 1925
Dimmock Melba L - Sharp Edmonton 3a 770

her children would be Oliver/Dimmock ... and there was only one, in 1958 in Chelmsford in the late 1950s ... no indication they ever left that area

I just don't think these people are related at all ... I think the Eric Oliver / Olive Hamilton marriage seems likely

perhaps if Ann's mum's middle name was Melba she used that rather than be 'Olive Oliver'

also, the Middlesbro births are accounted for by a marriage there in 1951 between Sylvia H and John O so they do not seem to be siblings of Ann

so I think Angela is mistaken about Ann's father being Frank?

Angela can you say where you have Ann's parents' names from?

and as mentioned, the best advice is to get Ann's birth certificate to be sure of the names you are looking for

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Aug 2015 22:38

Probally the son was named after the father Eric......?

Olive M birth was possibly reg in 1921 in Darlington,,,,roughly 20 miles from Richmond.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Aug 2015 22:41

I agree Kay, about son Eric, and also that the Darlington birth for Olive seems the most likely.