Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to find my birth mom

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2015 18:56

Hi my name is rhiannon bishop I was adopted in 1984 and looking for my birth mother joanne alison fleur bishop who was born 1963/1964

Penny

Penny Report 6 Oct 2015 20:10

Have you applied for your adoption file?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2015 20:18

Hi.
I can see your mother's birth on Freebmd - it appears to be in Walsall. Does that fit?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2015 20:26

There seems to be someone else with you in their tree, I assume uou know this already?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2015 20:46

Hi Jan yeah got my adoption file

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2015 20:49

Hi brummie Jan don't know if I'm on someone else family tree and my birth mom is from walsall I have searched the records it came up with that person who I'm after but don't know if it's her and also can't send message to her either

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2015 20:51

My name was changed when I was adopted but thought this might be easier way to find her is by putting my real name I've typed in her name for family tree but does not come up with anythin

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2015 21:04

I have looked for a possible marriage for her, and also on 192.com and free electoral roll, but nothing stands out.
I would check out the other person with you on their tree, to see why you are there (I am assuming you were born Milton Keynes?). Go to search box above right, and select 'search all member trees' from the drop-down menu.
Have you registered yourself on the National Adoption Contact Register? If your mother, or another family member, is looking for you., they might register on there.
Also, check out Freebmd for your mothrr's birth. You will see her mother's maiden name is Palmer, and there is a likely Bishop/Palmer marriage in Walsall a few years before. This gives likely names for her parents.
Jan

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2015 21:17

I was born in Walsall brummie Jan and is that anscetory website and I know my births mom mom was married at the time so think her last name might of bein palmer (nan) not to sure it only gives me my mother's name in my adoption file finding it difficult to trace her

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Oct 2015 21:34

Rhiannon,

You need to add your birth name to your tree so if anyone comes looking for you they can find you.

The Rhiannon Bishop listed on this site was born the same year in Milton Keynes.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2015 21:49

Hi.
OK, sorry, got you.
Freebmd. (Just google it) is a free site which gives birth, marriage and death indexes for 1837-1970 or so. You can find your mother's birth.
As you were born quite recently, have you checked out any addresses you have?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2015 22:00

I've tried it brummiejan but nothing coming up unless I'm not very good at it got an address for her but she lived there when I was born but that was my nans address

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Oct 2015 22:29

Jan,

Joanne's mother's maiden name was Palmer.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2015 22:39

Apologies, have edited. Grey moment there!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Oct 2015 23:44

You can look at old electoral rolls at the library local to that address. If you take the address from your adoption file, you can discover the name of your maternal grandmother.

Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Oct 2015 06:51

Thank you everyone for helping I have bein trying to find her since I was 18 am now 31 I keep hitting dead ends there is a lady on here same name as my mom but I can't message her to see if it is her

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Oct 2015 09:40

That's good advice from Rose. Give it a try, and let us know how you get on. I think you need the Walsall Local History Centre ti access electioral registers - if you google it & go to the site, there is lots of information re. opening hours, contact details etc.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Oct 2015 10:12

Rhiannon - don't confuse birth registrations with members trees!

Search for your name and your mothers name in all members trees. Your mum should have been entered under her maiden name You'll find the link under the drop down Search box at the top right of this page.

If either names are featured, click 'find out more' to send a message. Just say that you believe you may be related and ask if the tree owner has further details.

What ever you do, don't cancel your sub to GR. Even if your post isn't successful at the moment, it might be picked up in an Internet search in the future. Anyone with info can contact you by clicking on your name. As long as you stil use the same email address, even if you've allowed your sub to LAPSE you'll receive notification.
Should you change your normal email address, update your GR account.

Here's the link to the Adoption Contact Register. If you haven't already, do add your name. It could be that other birth relatives are looking for you
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

There's been an example in the last week. Someone thinks that a poster might be a relative. The original poster deleted their account. With no surname, they have no way of contacting them.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Oct 2015 13:14

Why not get her birth cert to see who her parents are . You can then look to see if she had any siblings plus look for the marriage of her parents and then possible siblings for them

You may have to go in a roundabout way and look at her family to find current info on her

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Oct 2015 15:02

Unfortunately, it appears Rhiannon deleted her account early this morning. I only realized because she sent me a message but I was unable to find it in my Inbox.

Rose