Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guidance or support - genes member Barbara Waters

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 13:40

I'm not sure how to go about this.. But would be grateful to any help anyone is willing to give. Thanks in advance.

I've been researching my family tree for about a year and have come across a GR member that has a few of the same people in her tree as I do. The only problem is, after trying to contact her in here - I've failed. I know she hasn't read the messages I've sent her - which may mean she doesn't use GR anymore.

Is there anyway I can contact her, or get a hold of an email address for her? I've been unsuccessful in every other angle in looking for anyone who may have any information on my great grandfather - but I think she may know.

Any ideas?

malyon

malyon Report 6 Apr 2016 13:51

you could look on freelectrol list

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 14:45

Ok / so I've done a bit of research.
To begin..
we have three siblings matching on our tree

Selwyn waters (my great grandfather)
Gladys Waters
Vernon L Waters

I think that Vernon was her father - the only other brother is Thomas but she doesn't have him on her tree. And I'm guessing she would have her father.

Vernon L Waters was born in Neath - but he died in London. Can someone help? I'm thinking if I trace back to him - some how I could get hold of her that way?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Apr 2016 14:58

Am I reading this right?

You think that Vernon was Barbara's father but his brother Selwyn was your gt. grandfather? That means that there are 2 generations between you and Barbara.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 Apr 2016 15:00

I'm not seeing a marriage in England or Wales for Vernon.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 15:03

Is the entry which Barbara has for Vernon?

Relation Name: Vernon Waters
Date of Birth: 1915
Place of Birth: Blaengwynfi

His birth reg
VERNON L
Last name WATERS
Birth year 1915
Birth quarter 2
Registration month -
Mother's last name OWEN
District NEATH
County Glamorganshire
Country Wales
Volume 11A
Page 2112

Death

First name(s) VERNON LOUVAIN
Last name WATERS
Gender Male
Birth day 9
Birth month 5
Birth year 1915
Age -
Death quarter 3
Death year 1996
District WESTMINSTER
District number 2581A
Register number A39C
Entry number 132
Date of registration mm/yy 0996

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 15:13

I didn't think of the generations thing! Maybe he was her grandfather. She may be my fathers cousin.

Yes - that's the Vernon Waters.

If she is Vernons granddaughter - she would roughly be the same age as my father - in her 50s. I'm 27 - so maybe she has children my age? I don't know.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 15:15

The same tree owner list a Barbara Waters being born in 1966, Kingston.
Birth reg on Findmypast doesn't list anyone with that name, in that year, in that general area. That's even taking into consideration a late registration in 1967.

It could be that she has 'disguised' herself.

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 15:18

do you think that could be her married name? That she married in to the waters line and that her husband is the relation?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 15:29

Now you've sent a message, is she listed in your Contacts as a Waters or some other surname? There is, or used to be a problem with GR that although a married womans public profile was in her maiden name, if she's added a spouse, messages were also recorded with his surname.

Looking at various marriages for Vernon - if he didn't record his middle name, there are a couple you migh want to consider

Marriages Sep 1945 (>99%)
Waters Vernon to Queenie G Palmer Haverfordwest 11a 3340

Marriages Sep 1948 (>99%)
Waters Vernon to Martha Gething Willesden 5f 865
Waters Vernon to Martha Eddy Willesden 5f 865

As there are number of Waters/Eddy births, Eddy was probably her maiden name.
Unfortunately, there isn't a Barbara born to this couple!

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 15:35

When I have contacted her and looked back, it says Barbara Waters.. But there's also a Barbara Lynne that I contacted but I'm not too sure that's the same person.

Thank you for those marriages.
I feel like I can't quite hold on to anything. It's quite frustrating.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 15:38

Go into your contact list and select both Barbara's. You ought to be able to read the messages you sent to them

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 15:42

Done. I messaged the one Barbara who shows as Barbara Waters - regarding Selwyn - Vernons brother.

The other Barbara that shows as Barbara Lynne Waters - I contacted her because she had Barbara Waters in her tree born in 1966 like the one above.

I messaged because I thought she may have two accounts.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 15:55

Pming a N London ER entry to 2015. Not entirely sure if its the right person. The house, if owner-occupied, hasn't been sold for years and years.

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 6 Apr 2016 15:59

Where have you found that?

Thanks so much for your help.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 16:04

Its on Findmypast, and probably
http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/Electoral_Roll_Search.asp

The current years of occupany were checked using the surname and post code on 192.com. (Free search only)

Then...using the address, look on Zoopla for sold prices. Properties show up if they were sold by an Estate agents. It doesn't help if they were rentals

Bearing in mind there is a male at the same address, he could either have been a son or spouse. He is only listed in 2002

malyon

malyon Report 6 Apr 2016 18:30

there are 2 barbara lynne's born in 1966 one in bury and one in stockport

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Apr 2016 01:47

there is old ground being gone over here, for instance the Waters + Gething/Eddy marriage

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1354715?page=2

that thread was 8 pages long so if anyone wants to try to figure it out / remember it first, it might be wise before going to far afield here

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Apr 2016 01:57

in September I sent you contact info for what I believed to be Barbara's daughter

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1354715?page=4

after tracing what appeared to be Barbara's birth and family (and this is where you got the Barbara Lynne name in the first place)

you didn't reply

did it not work out?

NatalieSerenaWaters

NatalieSerenaWaters Report 10 Apr 2016 22:26

I didn't see a message about Barbara's daughter. I message a Barbara Lynne through my inbox as I seen she had mutual people in her tree as the other Barbara.

I didn't hear any more from the other thread I was using so I closed my account for a while.
I'm sorry if you think I ignored you. Don't remember seeing this message.. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks. And sorry again x