Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alexander Coutts Henderson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 13 Dec 2016 14:05

Looking for any surviving relatives of this soldier.Born 1893 in Aberdeenshire,Scotland.Died from injuries sustained in WW1.I have something that would be of GREAT interest to them should they wish to get in touch.
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic1715-0-asc-165.html

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2016 14:56

Try searching All Members Trees - top right under Search.
Look for not only his name, but also his parents.

If any of them are listed, send a message to the tree owner by clicking the Find Out More button next to their name.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2016 15:00

Copying over from the link you gave. That way the parents names might be picked up on an internet search

Henderson Alexander Coutts L/cpl 240362 5th Gordon Highlanders b Fraserburgh e Fraserburgh Age 25 Died of Wounds F & F 23-Apr-18 Son of Alexander Henderson, 62 Cross St; Fraerburgh & the late Mary Reid Henderson. Buchan Observer: 1914: "G" Coy" No 1958: Wounded 31-7-16. City Roll of Honour : Fraserburgh." St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen Fr 0146 Block P Plot IX Row B Grave 4B Fraserburgh Herald 29-7-19 City & Fraserburgh

Similar entry from CWGC

HENDERSON, ALEXANDER COUTTS

Service No:240362
Date of Death: 23/04/1918
Regiment/Service:Gordon Highlanders 1st/5th Bn.
Grave Reference: P. IX. B. 4B.
Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

Additional Information:
Son of Alexander Henderson, of 62, Cross St., Fraserburgh, and the late Mary Reid Henderson.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2016 15:25

1901 census transcript (Ancestry)

Alexander Henderson
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Mary Henderson
Where born: Udny, Aberdeenshire
Registration Number: 196
Registration district: Fraserburgh
Civil Parish: Fraserburgh
Town: Fraserburgh
County: Aberdeenshire
Address: 41 Saltoun Pl
ED: 7
Household schedule number: 47
LINE: 8
Roll: CSSCT1901_67

Alexander Henderson 39 - Udny, Aberdeenshire
Mary Henderson 34 - Daviot, Aberdeenshire
Alexander C Henderson 6 - Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire
Mary I Henderson 2 - Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire

1911 (Scotland's People)
62 Cross Street, Fraserburgh.

Alexander Henderson, 48, Incorporated Accountant, b Udny
Mary Henderson (wife) 46 b Daviot
Alexander Coutts Henderson (son) 16 b Fraserburgh
Mary Isabella Henderson (daughter) 12 b Fraserburgh

Mary was married for 18 years. She’d had 2 live births, both still living.
…..

If there are any direct descendents, they’d likely to be from Mary Isabella. c1900. Admittedly Mary the wife could possibly still have a child after then, but it would only be a remote possibility.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2016 15:40

Mary Isabella Henderson's birth

HENDERSON MARY ISABELLA (F)
1900 192/ 106 Ellon

Probable marriage
HENDERSON, MARY ISABELLA
JOHNSTON, ARTHUR GEORGE
1930 192/ 3 3 Ellon

Both transcripts from a free search on Scotland's people

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 13 Dec 2016 15:52

BRILLIANT !!! Thank you for all your help.(I've got a WW1 medal with his name on it)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2016 16:26

Valerie has Mary I Henderson listed. She also has Alexander Henderson 1896. You could try contacting her. Mind you, as its an old membership number; she may not be using the linked email address

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/messages/521474/discover?rk=316238933

There are several other members who just list a birth as 'Scotland'. Leave no stone unturned!

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 13 Dec 2016 16:40

I've messaged Valerie-along with others.Also posted on the Ellon Facebook page.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Dec 2016 17:21

Mary Isabella's death ?? the informant on the cert might be a son or daughter.

JOHNSTON
MARY ISABELLA
316/ 4
Ellon

Possibly her husband's death? - but I don't know when he was born:

JOHNSTON
ARTHUR GEORGE
168/1 972
Aberdeen Northern District

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Dec 2016 17:27

A probable son was born in Ellon in 1931, with the same name as his father, plus a third forename initial of L.

(Per SP)

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 14 Dec 2016 08:27

CHEERS for all your help.So,I'm now (probably)looking at finding descendants of Arthur George L Johnston.He could possibly still be alive himself?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Dec 2016 12:53

There's an Arthur George Johnston (no L) on the 2016 ER for somewhere in Aberdeenshire, per 192.com

I don't have credits to see address details, but he could be your Arthur..
Also listed at the same address is a Mary M Johnston.

Arthur G L Johnston married a woman with the first names Mary Margaret in Aberdeen in 1969.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Dec 2016 12:59

There's a Neil J Johnston listed with the couple above in 2002-03 - a son?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Dec 2016 08:51

Paul I was just curious on reading this and I hope you don't mind my asking.

Are you looking for family to return the medal to them as an act of kindness ... or is this a business proposition?

One reason I ask is that I discovered the medals on line of my grandfather's cousin, who (I later found) does have living descendants ... they had been sold at auction, I expect for a nice price, and the auction house passed on a message from me to the buyer, who decline to reply, so the family does not even have pictures of them. The auction house did tell me that neither the seller nor the buyer was related. It's sad to see medals traded that way.

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 15 Dec 2016 11:00

My cousin-Richard Wilson was given it by a friend-Iain Wright,who found it in his brothers drawer (Stewart) when he died around 20 years ago.We're trying to find out exactly how he came to be in possession of it & wish to reunite it with his family.We wouldn't dream of selling it & would only keep it if no direct relatives could be traced.It's the silver (pip/bubble ???) medal.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Dec 2016 11:17

Thanks for your answer Paul. :-) (We do sometimes get 'heir hunters' and the like and it is disappointing.)

The things we find in people's drawers when they die and wish so much they had left something behind to explain them ...

When my grandmother died, my mother and I were looking at her 80-year-old photograph album in a little back room of their little house, where it had likely not been looked at for many a year. And we noticed one photo missing - just the little sticky corners on the page where it had once been, empty.

Later that day we were clearing out the drawers in her bedroom. In her bedside table, in the very bottom drawer, under a pile of other things, was what was obviously the missing picture. It was of my grandmother as a very young woman, probably still in school, sitting on a fallen log with a young man.

She had sometimes talked about the one she wished ...

My grandfather died nearly 20 years before her (she was 95 when she died), and she never had really quite appreciated him. Was the boy in the picture that one? How many years before had she taken the photo out of the album, and what was she thinking when she put it in that drawer, next to her bed but buried deep ... and did she even remember it was there ...

The mystery of how your friend's brother came to have the medal might not be solved (but wouldn't it be great if it was!) but if it goes home to family, it will be a mysterious object, but in the right place. :-)

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 15 Dec 2016 11:20

Lovely story :) Richard has,for now,given it to his son-Frankie (named after his great grandfather Francis Deason who fought in WW1),but,they'd both like to reunite it with it's rightful owners.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Dec 2016 12:01

Just to add -

Mary Margaret was born 1938, so that adds to the likelihood that the couple listed on 192.com (as in my post yesterday) are the right ones.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 15 Dec 2016 15:47

I don't have credits for 192.com, but have pmed Paul with electoral register address details to 2014 from FMP, for the couple ArgyllGran mentioned in her posts.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Dec 2016 15:56

I have too Kucinta before I noticed this we have doubled up. sorry