Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry and Mary Smith around Exeter Devon England

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2017 13:22

Hello all,

I am looking for any information regarding Henry and Mary Smith. My great grandmother came to America April 27,1946. Her name was Doreen Smith till she married before coming to the states in which she was Doreen Smith Vines. She birthed one daughter before leaving. Her name was Jean A. Vines. The record I found on ancestry about the marriage between Doreen and James Edward took place in St.Germans. Jean would of been born sometime in 1945. Doreen was born October 21,1924. I did find record on freebmd, the original documents states births from quarter 4. The mothers maiden name on this record is Taylor. Which is the same maiden name I found on a birth record at genes reunited. Someone did post on ancestry that they believed Mary remarried after Henry passed. She may have changed her last name to Book. Ancestry has information up until Ellis Island, were Doreen and Jean first came to America. Unfortunately, this is where the information stops. I do not have birth dates for Henry and Mary. I do not know if they have siblings. Or anything. I would very much like to have information on ancestors and any living relatives that may be looking for a long lost cousin :-D. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jan 2017 13:30

Doreen Smith Vines
Find A Grave Index
Name
Doreen Smith Vines
Maiden Name
Smith
Event Type
Burial
Event Date
Event Place
, Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, United States of America
Photograph Included
Y
Birth Date
21 Oct 1924
Death Date
17 Dec 2007
Affiliate Record Identifier
Cemetery
Colquitt Cemetery

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jan 2017 13:32

this must be Doreen where she lived before she died

Doreen Smith Vines
United States Public Records
Name
Doreen Smith Vines
Residence Date
03 Nov 2004
Residence Place
Haynesville, Louisiana, United States
Birth Date
21 Oct 1924
Address
1745 Bailey Ave
Address Continued
Haynesville, Louisiana 71038
Record Number

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jan 2017 13:45

Jean A Vines
Immigration
New York City, New York, United States
Female

Doreen Vines
Immigration
New York City, New York, United States
Female

Saturnia

no husband with them

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Jan 2017 13:52

The passenger list posted above gives a UK address for Doreen & Jean:

9 Tamar Street, Saltash, Cornwall

Dependents of James E Vines US Army
--------------------------------------

Looking in the 1939 register there is a Bennett family at the address- however, there is a Smith family at number 11, but given how common the name is, this may be just coincidence.
----------------------------------------------

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=23469323
----------------------------------------------------

Do you have a copy of her marriage certificate confirming her father?

What was her father's occupation?

What was her address?

Who were the witnesses?

First name(s) JAMES E
Last name VINES
Marriage quarter 4
Marriage year 1943
Spouse: DOREEN SMITH
District ST. GERMANS
County Cornwall
Country England
Volume 5C Page 71
-----------------------------------------------------

Possible marriage of parents:

First name(s) HENRY T
Last name SMITH
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1923
Spouse: MARY A TAYLOR
Spouse's last name TAYLOR
District EXETER
County Devon
Country England
Volume 5B Page 165

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2017 14:35

That is wonderful information. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of her marriage certificate. And unfortunately I do not know anything about my great grandmothers parents.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2017 14:56

This is the site to order England & Wales certificates. It's the government site and where any other commercial site would have to order them from. Don't use Ancestry!
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You will have to register if you haven't already or recently used the site.

Each certificate costs £9.25 and includes worldwide postage & delivery. Credit & Debit cards accepted. As it sounds as if you may not have a sterling account, your card provider will convert the cost into your local currency.

When or if you order, use only the details from the index. When you are asked if you know the GRO reference, tick Yes. Then completely the forms with the above details.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2017 15:21

Oh my thank y'all for the information. I will try to order certificates. That would be a big help! And I will start entering some of the information you provided and see if anything comes up!

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2017 15:24

How exciting that there is a address listing before setting sail for America!

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2017 15:30

Why should I not use ancestry to order documents?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2017 15:53

You shouldn't use Ancestry to order U.K. Certificates because they rip you off.

The actual cost from the original source is £9.25. They will charge you in excess of £20. They HAVE to order from the General Register Office. GRO sends them to Ancestry who forward them to you.

Why pay more than £9.25 when you can cut out the middleman? Anyone can order from GRO including the general public regardless of where they live. If any commercial company charges more, the difference, allowing for handling costs, is their profit.

With the fall of the GB£ against other currencies, its highly unlikely those who charge in anything other than GB£ with have reduced the fee.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Jan 2017 15:59

I'm not sure how relevant the census information that Malyon posted is?? Malyon- Henry and Mary had a daughter in 1924- how does your information relate please?

Jennifer- Ancestry, is expensive to order certificates. The cheapest way is to order through GRO site that Detective posted for you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2017 16:08

It might be worth adding that we'd help you find the cheapest genuine source to order official documents from.

For instance, I've noticed that Ancestry had a link against Probate Calendar entries. If they are charging more for the full Will than the equivalent of £10, it's worth ordering directly from the England & Wales Probate office online.

We won't over load you with unnecessary links at this stage but suggest that you ask if the need arises. Collectively, members have knowledge of most sources around the world.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Jan 2017 17:09

Oh thank y'all so much! Henry and Mary did have a daughter in 1924, my great grandmother, Doreen Smith. Hopefully it won't take to long to get a birth certificate in, without knowing her parents birthdates I am stuck.

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jan 2017 18:35

can they be found in the 1939 electrol

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Jan 2017 12:15

I didn't think to look there. I will give that a try thank you

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Jan 2017 15:36

I wanted to let everyone who has been helping me know that I ordered a marriage certificate for James and Doreen. I thought about ordering a marriage certificate for Mary and Henry since I am almost certain Taylor was her maiden name. But I may hold off till I get their certificate and maybe it will have information about the parents on there since I would think they would be the witnesses.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 14 Jan 2017 16:58

Yes, I would hold off until you have the marriage certificate. It should tell you father's name and occupation, Doreen & James address at time of marriage, and of course the witnesses who could be related. Hopefully it will help you find further details on Doreen's family.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jan 2017 20:15

Jennifer, you said:

'Someone did post on ancestry that they believed Mary remarried after Henry passed. She may have changed her last name to Book.'

Does this mean you have asked for research help in an Ancestry forum as well, or that this is information from a tree?

If the first, can you give the link? Otherwise people might just duplicate effort.

If the second, can you give the complete info from the tree and the link?
Ancestry trees are notoriously unreliable and that could be accurate info from someone with personal knowledge, or could be someon's guess (or Ancestry's stupid 'hint') based purely on similarities between names.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jan 2017 20:32

It is always worth looking at the FindAGrave website and not just the index at Ancestry or familysearch.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=23469323&

You probably know all that about your gr-grmother Doreen. (The information there is a reproduction of an obituary, which the FindAGrave site actually prohibits; the person created the page the day after Doreen's death and the photo was added 18 months later.)

If you joined FindAGrave, you could have Doreen's memorial page transferred to you (you can require transfers up to gr-grandparent as long as the person who made the page is not related).

In the same cemetery there is an Ovelia Vines but of an older generation, perhaps Doreen's husband's mother:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=23469323&

and several other Vines

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=Vines&GSiman=1&GScid=67252&

Creating 'virtual cemeteries' at that site (unfortunately now owned by Ancestry), and creating pages for deceased relations and linking them to their parents and children, is a way of collecting family information together for people who search there in future.

For example, although James and Doreen are commemorated on the same headstone,

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=23469323&PIpi=17752289

James does not have a memorial page at FindAGrave.