Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for Dalton Family Relatives

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bruce

Bruce Report 6 May 2018 23:17

My grandfather, Ernest Digby Dalton was born in Sheffield England In March 1891, the son of William Dalton (1833-1895) and Alice Ash (1860-1928). He was sent to Canada at age 12 as a farm aid worker and left his entire family behind.

Ernest had several siblings:
Gertrude "Lillian" Pearson (new Ash) 1880-1951
James Harry Dalton (1883-1914) Killed in action WWI
Charles William Dalton 1885-1955) served in WWI
Joseph Walter Dalton (1886-1947)
Beatrice Dalton (1888-1895
Gladys Daisy Dalton (1893-1893)
Leonard Dalton (1895-1895)
Sidney Dalton (1897-?)
Fred Ward (1901-?)
Harold Ward (1906-1907)
Ada Ann Dalton (1866-1945)
Ann Forshaw Dalton (1868-1943)

If you have any information relating to any of these family member or know of any descendants of this Dalton family, please get in touch via email. I am a Canadian descendant of Ernest and have been building his family tree. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I just joined Genes Reunited on a trial basis but have a large family tree built on Ancestry.com and I am hoping To find descendants of my grandfather's lost family.

Regards
Bruce Taylor
Ottawa, Canada

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 May 2018 23:39

Welcome to the Boards, Bruce.

Firstly, could you please edit your post to remove your email address, as its against the site's T&C to publish it on an open board. People can still contact you once your trial period is up by sending you a personal message by clicking on your name.
For that reason, you should not delete your account (no one could send a message) and should make sure your GR account is always linked to an email address you can access.

The best way to contact possible relatives who are interested in FH is to use the Search All Member Trees function - top right under Search.
Enter the names of the family siblings & contact each GR member who may have them listed on their tree.
Assuming they can still access the linked email account, they'll be able to reply without additional payment.

Please be advised that GR never removes dormant trees or accounts. Its possible that some of the tree owners have be come to frail or have died.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 May 2018 23:49

As you are probably aware, James Harry Dalton (1883-1914) named his sister 'Lilian' Pearson as the sole legatee. (UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 for James Harry Dalton)

On that basis, its reasonable to assume that he had no declared issue.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 May 2018 11:11

Upload your Ancestry Gedcom to this site. New members are more likely to use the Search facility than a random name search on the internet.

England & Wales sites you may not be aware of. N Ireland & Scotland have their own versions.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl to search for births post 1911-c1983 using just male surname and mother's maiden name. Can also be used for marriages & deaths.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills although included in the Ancestry sub, can be used by anyone for free. Copies of Wills/Probate etc can be purchased for £10. Not all estates went to Probate & the ones listed after 1996 aren't as helpful as earlier ones.

To purchase certificates, only use the root source https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
£6 for a PDF version if available or £9.25 inc P&P for a paper one.

http://www.192.com/ for electoral roll entries from 2002 inc Scotland & NI. It has been possible for everyone to 'opt out' of the commercial register since then.
If you see a potential entry, ask for details on this thread. Although 192.com is free to search, you have to pay to view details. The ER is included in the Findmypast sub which many GR members have and would be willing to use.

In the case of a possible 'opt out', see if a house sale has been listed on https://www.zoopla.co.uk/ under the House Prices tab.

https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/ telephone directory. May inc Scotland & NI

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch burial & cremation records. The basic details are included on Ancestry - register & purchase credits to view more detail. The Register image may show the address of the deceased & that of the person who arranged the funeral. More recent ones may have some info redacted.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 May 2018 14:19

An explanation of the inclusion of the surname WARD among the siblings

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Court House, 1, Porter Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire & Yorkshire (West Riding), England

William Ward Head Married Male 59 1842 Yorkshire, England Edge Tool Maker Transcription
Alice Ward Wife Married Female 51 1850 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Charwoman Transcription
Joseph Dalton Step Son - Male 14 1887 Derbyshire, England - Transcription
Ernest Dalton Step Son - Male 10 1891 Derbyshire, England - Transcription
Sidney Dalton Step Son - Male 3 1898 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England -

Interestingly, no record of a marriage for Ward to Alice that I can see

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 May 2018 14:43

????????

Name: Sydney Dalton
Age in 1911: 13
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Not Known,
Civil Parish: Sheffield
County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding
Street address: 110 Heeley Bank Rd Sheffield
Registration district: Sheffield
Registration District Number: 510
Sub-registration district: Sheffield Park
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Piece: 27902

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 May 2018 14:47

As Bruce is a new member to this site, a PM was sent earlier. It has been opened.

He does have an extensive & well researched public tree on Ancestry. Rather than repeating what he already knows, it might be wiser to wait for his response.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 May 2018 14:49

Accurate birth info for Charles

DALTON, CHARLES WILLIAM ASH Order
GRO Reference: 1883 M Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 347

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 May 2018 14:49

Ward Household (5 People)
28 Lambert Street , Sheffield C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Charles Dalton 10 Jan 1883 Male Colliery Hewer Single 133 2
Amelia Ward 03 Oct 1898 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Mill Hand Retired Married 133 1
Irene Noonan (Thornhill,Ward) 01 Jul 1923 Female Mirror Polisher Single 133 3
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Lillian (G) Brady (Dalton) 13 Feb 1935 Female Under School Age Single 133 5

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 May 2018 14:53

Erika - if you have access to Ancestry, try this link (both lines)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-
tree/person/tree/74884600/person/30545927524/facts
Edit 8/5/18 - link no longer seems to work

Possibly the only info he doesn't show are the results from the 1939 Register

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2018 10:16

PM received from Bruce asking for further info re 1939

This looks like Irene.................

Births Sep 1923 (>99%)
Ward Isabel I Fox Leeds 9b 532

Marriages Sep 1942 (>99%)

Thornhill Ernest Ward Sheffield 9c 1275
Ward Isobel I Thornhill Sheffield 9c 1275

This confirms the above - Fred is mentioned in Bruce's post

Marriages Mar 1923 (>99%)
Fox Amelia Ward Leeds 9b 625
Ward Fred Fox Leeds 9b 625

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2018 11:28

Also a query by PM - Bruce is being encouraged to post on the thread.

Sydney is believed to have served in WW1 then seems to have disappeared. Full Military Records not available.

1911 as posted earlier

Name: Sydney Dalton
Age in 1911: 13
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Not Known,
Civil Parish: Sheffield
County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding
Street address: 110 Heeley Bank Rd Sheffield
Registration district: Sheffield
Registration District Number: 510
Sub-registration district: Sheffield Park
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Piece: 27902

According to Bruce's research, He was eventually sent to Mount Edgecumbe Industrial School in Devon, Cornwall, at age 15 (c1913)

Bruce - could you provide details of the military records you believe are his? Its always possible that he stayed on in the Forces to after 1922. If this was the case, his records would still be with the MOD.

Bruce

Bruce Report 8 May 2018 11:40

Thank you, ErikaH

Please confirm what I think you are stating:

Fred Ward married Amelia Fox in 1923. They had one daughter Isobel (b 1923) and she married Ernest Thornhill in 1942.

Could you please explain "this looks like Irene"?

Does the 1939 register contain any data for other family members?
I am particularly interested in Sydney (or Sidney) Dalton who I know served in WWI but I doesn't have any military records (assumed destroyed in WWII bombing). The last known record I have from Sydney is when he was released from Sheffield Union Workhouse in 1912 and sent to Mount Edgecumbe Industrial School in Devon, Cornwall. I don't know if Sydney was killed in action or returned from WWI Ron decon or Sheffield or was married and had children. His life is the biggest mystery in my grandfather's family. He and my grandfather became wards of the state in 1993 and my grandfather was subsequently sent to Canada as a farm worker. Unfortunately Sydney remained alone in the Workhouse until 1912.

I always felt that there may be descendants that would know what happened to Sydney. I know his sister, Gertrude "Lillian" Pearson (born Gertrude Lillian Ash, 1880) was listed as a contact on his Workhouse admission forms and she was the person everyone in family trusted and leaned on in times of trouble. I hoped that I may be able to find a descendant of Lillian who may know Sydney's sad story.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce

Bruce Report 8 May 2018 11:54

+++DetEcTive+++

Thank you for your guidance and help.

I have kept numerous military records for Sydney and not sure if any are correct but the the one that seems most likely is that he served for Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry Division Service Number 22012 or 22412 . This is most likely match for Sidney who resided in Saltash, Devon, Cornwall just prior to outbreak of war. There is also the possibility that he was killed in action. According to a newspaper story here in Ottawa, in my grandfather's words, Sidney was missing in action and was presumed dead. As you state, it is possible Sydney survived and continued to serve after 1922. This is very much a mystery and what makes it more difficult is the spelling of his name - both Sidney and Sydney were used in different formal records.

Regards
Bruce

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2018 13:01

These are the entries on the CWGC where no personal details are given

Rifleman
DALTON, S
Service Number R/14425
Died 02/09/1916
2nd Bn.
King's Royal Rifle Corps
(Soldiers Effects gives mother Amelia as sole legatee)

Private
DALTON, S
Service Number 9195
Died 11/08/1915
1st Bn.
Lancashire Fusiliers
Soldiers effects gives his name as Samuel, Widow Mary

Rifleman
DALTON, SIDNEY
Service Number S/7976
Died 15/09/1916
8th Bn.
Rifle Brigade
Soldiers effect - Mother Mrs Mary Bowles

We can rule out those entries!

Even though he may have signed up as No Next of Kin, the Forces would still have recorded his death or MIA.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2018 13:34

You were looking for living descendants of Gertrude Lilian Dalton.

Your tree on Ancestry has her grandson
Brian Warriner
1931–1995
BIRTH 13 MAY 1931 • Sheffield
DEATH 06 MAY 1995 • Sheffield South Yorkshire England

Marrying

Sylvia Gwendoline Mason
1930–2008
BIRTH 29 AUGUST 1930 • Stepney, Greater London
DEATH 15 MARCH 2008 • Sheffield South Yorkshire England

Freebmd shows a number of Warriner/Mason births 1951-1970.
Obviously, without a copy of the BC to confirm, the ones in Sheffield 1954 & 1965 are potentially their children, as could any of the York & Chesterfield ones!

Sylvia, being the last to die, left a Will which went to probate

Surname First name Date of probate Probate number Date of death Document type Registry
WARRINER SYLVIA GWENDOLINE 15 May 2008 2753930 15 March 2008 Grant and will Leeds

If you felt inclined, a copy at £10 might shed the light on her heirs.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2018 13:44

I suspect this is Brian, his father James in 1939

Household (5 People)
151 Fitzhubert Road , Sheffield C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER

Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
James Warriner ? ? 1900 Male Passenger Shunter L N E R Heavy Worker Married 123 2
James Warriner 13 Sep 1923 Male Colliery Engine Driver Below ? Single 123 3
B? Warriner 13 May 1931 Male At School Single 123 4 ++
Barrie Warriner 08 Jun 1936 Male Under School Age Single 123 5

++ Image does show as Brian

Barry (Barrie) birth reg
Births Sep 1936 (>99%)
WARRINER Barry Pearson Sheffield 9c 776

Presumably the closed record is for his mother Lilian Pearson - its strange that her record is closed. According to your tree she was born in 1907 & died in 1991. Technically it should be open as she was born before 1915.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2018 13:55

Barrie's death

BARRIE
Last name WARRINER
Gender Male
Birth day 8
Birth month 6
Birth year 1936
Age -
Death quarter 4
Death year 2002
District Rotherham
District number 0451E
Register number E4B
Entry number 150
Date of registration mm/yy 1202
County Yorkshire

He married a Ms Paramore in Sheffield, 1956. They had a daughter in 1958.

'Ms Paramore' is still on the 2018 ER in Sheffield - address available if required? She may know something of the Dalton family history, or be able to put you in contact with someone who does.

Bruce

Bruce Report 8 May 2018 15:27

+++DetEcTive+++

Thank you so much for your time and care to find this information.

Just to confirm my understanding of what you have documented:

Brian Warriner had a brother, Barry, born in 1936, who married Ms Paramore, who is still living, likely in her 80's?

Btw, the information provided by EricaH regarding Fred Ward was very helpful. It explained another question for me. My great grandmother, Alice Ash Dalton came to Canada to visit her son, Ernest, in March 1922. She returned to Sheffield on June 23, 1923. I had wondered why she didn't stay in Canada longer and with EricaH's help I now know that Alice Dalton likely returned to Sheffield in time for her youngest son's wedding on July 1st. It is great when the pieces of the puzzle start to fit together. Thank you so much.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2018 16:34

My comment 'this looks like Irene' referrd to the fact that 'Irene' was not her given first name.

I didn't say that her parents had only one child - I posted her birth and their marriage as confirmatory records.

Fred's wife's death

First name(s) AMELIA
Last name WARD
Gender Female
Birth day 3
Birth month 12
Birth year 1898
Age -
Death quarter 4
Death year 1977
District Sheffield
County Yorkshire
Volume 3
Page 1795

There appears to have been one daughter from Isobel Irene's marriage to Thornhill

The record can be found on freebmd