Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Unique boardnames

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Sep 2011 20:21

Restricting maximum length and banning certain characters I can live with as these cause real problems to the site programmers.

But, is there really a problem with members sharing the same name? I don't think so. Phil also has a valid point if it were introduced then it would be nigh on impossible to enforce retrospectively.

Persephone

Persephone Report 9 Sep 2011 05:56

So for all those wanting to be called InspectorGreenPen , you would welcome them and see it as not being a problem.

I would not be that pleased to see another Persephone, I would live with it.. but would not want the other person's comments attributed to me.

Persie

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 10 Sep 2011 10:21

I think everyone should have individual board names to prevent confusion to whom a comment is attributed to.

For example: There could be a discussion where two people with the same board name offer an opinion, one in a polite, perfectly reasonable way and one in a nasty, abusive way. The second contributor's comment could then erroneously be attributed to the first contributor resulting in an avoidable situation.

When I have joined other forums I have been asked to choose a board name on application, so don't see it as a problem that GR should also have unique board names

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 11 Sep 2011 23:15

hi.
i think it would be a good idea if genes asked new members for a board name,but when i started in 2004 it was ok to use your own name so thats what i did.but although ive not had any serious trouble with people mixing me up with other SUZANNE"S ,i agree that sometimes it can become a problem.x