Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bright Solid, please spend money on genes reunited

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 29 Nov 2011 10:11

It is nice that Bright Solid is working in partnership with the British Library -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/nov/29/british-library-newspaper-archive-online

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Community/Heritage-and-History/article/19268/a-digital-aladdin-s-cave-brightsolid-s-british-newspaper-archive-project-brings-history-to-life.html

http://www.brightsolid.com/news

http://www1.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

- and I hope that Bright Solid will expend money on genes reunited soon to enable it to work properly.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 8 Nov 2011 21:33

Seriously I could almost cry. Yet again a thread has disappeared and I have just sent a message asking Phil to restore it again:

Genealogy Chat : INFORMATION ONLY for those Searching for IRISH Gen
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/951721

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Nov 2011 20:55

Site slow again tonight but thankfully not as slow as last night

KenSE

KenSE Report 8 Nov 2011 19:30

Well at least they were fairly prompt putting it on the Announcements board.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 8 Nov 2011 10:11

This is probably a very good educational and rewarding project
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/school.page/competition_winners
but surely it just takes up more space in what is probably, as has been suggested, an overloaded site? and money spent on it could have been, in my opinion, better spent on making this site work as well as others.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2011 00:34

Maz

I've been saying for months that I'm on here mostly over the UK night

.... and it seems just as slow at 2 or 3 am as I see people complaining about at 2 pm or 8 pm

I think wisechild has hit the nail on the head. I posted something similar a few days ago.

The whole system needs re-doing .......... but then that would mean closing the site down, and what happens to all the information on people's trees?

sylvia

KenSE

KenSE Report 7 Nov 2011 21:40

Seems to be working normally now.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Nov 2011 19:39

Very slow at the moment.
In fact any slower and it would not be working at all

Sally

Sally Report 7 Nov 2011 16:24

yes lots of e messages very slow

sally w :-(

wisechild

wisechild Report 7 Nov 2011 07:35

It seems to me that Genes is trying to do too much with the existing infrastructure.
Since it was taken over & more searches were offered along with more expensive memberships, there have been constant problems which rarely happened when we all had just basic membership.
Without money being spent to update the systems, this will continue.
Genes appears to be the poor relation.
Don´t bite off more than you can chew.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Nov 2011 23:55

You are right Joy. I emailed support this morning because each page was taking about 30 seconds to load (and I'm on 50 mb broadband). It seems to be very slightly better this evening but it's the only website I use that is anywhere near this slow. Most other sites come on instantly.

As you say - nothing to do with which browser you use - it's down to Genes. They need to spend more money on the site.

Kath. x

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 6 Nov 2011 19:01

It's awfully slow :-(

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 Oct 2011 12:01

:-|

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Oct 2011 19:10

For information:
Bright solid address
38 - 41 Fourth Floor
199 Bishopsgate
London
EC2M 3TY
T: 020 3326 6320
F: 020 3326 6301

Edited - thank you to RollotheRed.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 24 Oct 2011 10:44

Genes 24 Oct 2011 09:40
Our development team are currently investigating the site issues that have been experienced over the weekend. We hope to identify the problem and have it fixed very soon. We will keep you updated but in the mean time we apologise profusely for any inconvenience caused.

The Genes Team

(above now on Announcements!)

Chris :)

edits (Oh!, would that now be passed back to Phil then?)...

Gins

Gins Report 24 Oct 2011 09:35

Oi.....why is my avatar on other peoples profiles!

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 24 Oct 2011 09:27

This site ...for those who now have to pay six monthly is no longer a cheap option...so for the £18 a year I pay I do expect a better service than this.

Was less mithered when I only paid £7.50 a year ...(increased because I took a membership break)...so I have to say I agree with Joy. It IS about time some of this money is reinvested into the site as it's really not fit for purpose at the moment.x

mrsfeat

mrsfeat Report 23 Oct 2011 23:58

I have been getting error messages all weekend with certain searches I was making - very frustrating, as you have all said.

More annoying is the fact that I was eventually kicked out of the site and also Internet Explorer. I then had to reboot our router to get into any of my systems.

I appreciate a site this size having problems now and again ( even though I'm paying top dollar to use it ), but I do get very annoyed when it impacts on other applications.

Please get this sorted soon.

KenSE

KenSE Report 23 Oct 2011 20:47

A short while ago I was consistently getting an instantaneous error message every time I tried to access any thread on the first page of the Suggestions board with the exceptions of the Daniel Elward thread and the Accessing Messages thread. The rest of the site seemed OK.

Gins

Gins Report 23 Oct 2011 20:26

Yep still getting the error message tonight....not as bad as Friday/Saturday