Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bright Solid, please spend money on genes reunited

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 7 Jan 2012 09:29

From Phil 12 December "I would be very keen to get some feedback from those that have suffered the most, and also hear about any areas that still appear to be causing issue."

- certainly will do. Hope you have had a nice holiday.

It could be a small percentage of members affected by the issues, or a large percentage; only you, Phil, and other members of your team would know that as you see the logged errors. I am aware that we that post on the boards are a very small percentage of the millions of members.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 20 Feb 2012 13:11

Ongoing errors and appalling lack of speed, experienced by some, are all very disappointing. :-(

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 26 Jul 2012 23:11

If Bright Solid employed more staff to work on the product of genes reunited, surely the increased number in the team would be empowered to make the site work more efficiently? And the staff would have more time to think about the wording in their emails to helpers

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Jul 2012 12:31

I'm thinking about all the money I've spent at Scotland's People, which is owned by Bright Solid.

What else do they own?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jul 2012 12:41

Scozz, Scotlands people is not owned by bright solid

but just for you

try this http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/default.aspx

Don't no how long the link will last?

Roy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Jul 2012 12:47

I thought Scotlands People was owned by the Scottish Gov. and run with/by Bright Solid?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jul 2012 12:57

PP you are correct "enabled by bright solid" the web site and its records are owned by the Scottish government as indicated in its web address

© Crown copyright and copyright bright solid ltd: Genealogy, family history and family tree information.

A partnership between the National Records of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon enabled by bright solid

in 2009 brightsolid won a three-year deal to (manage) the hugely-successful family history site, ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk

Other brightsolid sites

Findmypast
Findmypast Ireland
Findmypast Australia
1911census.co.uk
ancestorsonboard.com
Censusrecords.com
Friends Reunited
brightsolid also hosts scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Roy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jul 2012 11:55

Also I noticed on page 1 that Joy posted the gr address - from this you can see just how small an outfit it is here in London 38-41 (room numbers) now I have street viewed this address and those 4 rooms will be quite small. This explains to me just how the problems can occur a large business being run by minimal staff levels (we think less than 15) in 4 small rooms.

Talk about Bright Solid being cheapskate.

I think that rather than constantly moaning at the GR staff we should really be moaning and contacting Bright Solid and asking where the money they earn from us is being spent - 'cos it ain't on database upkeep, staff etc.

KenSE

KenSE Report 29 Jul 2012 12:53

Interesting to see on the internet that Ancestry.com is looking for buyers and Brightsolid has been mentioned as a possible buyer. :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jul 2012 21:52

:-0 :-0 :-0

had not seen that, Ken!!

VERY interesting!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jul 2012 21:54

wonder what the Competitions Board will think????

That would put ALL the major genealogical sites in the UK in the hands of the same company.

It took the Board about 18 months to decide that having 3 of the sites under BS was not against competition.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Jul 2012 04:09

I stand corrected.

Bright Solid took over the management of Scotland's People.

Soon after they took over, the prices went up.

Don't like to think of ANY company having a monopoly