Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

find the lady

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Mar 2012 20:18

There is an old and still popular street trick where you have to find an object hidden in front of you to win some money ... few do. I have been trying out the new view for data entry....

hi

well now we can actually login it is possible to try out this wonderful new view.

Intrigued by another post I tried adding a spouse and in-laws for a rellie down under.
It was fiddly, not possible to enter middle name / initial in initial screen.
Print and contrast in the details screen terrible. Why such a big dialog with tiny print?
Why not user choose font size and colors ?

Worst of all it did not work (see details below).

Given that a GED import kills of accumulated contacts, notes etc backup/import is impossible. GRU are effectively carrying out a beta
test on member's live data. This is one of the biggest no-nos in the IT industry.

I suggest that the "new view" be withdrawn with immediate effect for accessing member's usual data.

For those who wish to participate then a shadow tree should be created and default to the new view where any problems would not matter in the same way. At the same time a menu could be added with an option to bug report.

this really is poor and very unprofessional.

:-(

details:

New view

J Munn

1 added spouse L Murray - ok
2 added spouse's father F Murray - ok
3 added partner of spouse's father I Field - defaulted to (M) and had to correct sex
4 went back to spouse ; father's spouse (mother) now invisible!

reverted to old tree

5 search for spouse's parents, ok but not attached to anybody!
6 searched on spouse and now father appears but not mother
7 if spouse's father now selected his daughter disappears !
8 when entering a name not poss to put middle name or initial
I have some families where all the daughters have the same name, middle name varies!
9 deleted spouse's father F Murray in old tree, his spouse I Field still exists, isolated
10 tried to remove isolated mothr in law I Field and got
Error getting ImmediateRelations: etc
pressed "ok" then
Sorry, there was a problem connecting to the Genes Reunited site
11 closed screen
12 opened tree again in new mode
13 search not working any more - after selecting name from list got dialog "enter surname" ??? - this is regardless of name chosen
14 back to old view
search working
added the data without any problem
15 closed old view, open again in new view
search working again and data added in old view correctly displayed

:-(

copy to support

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Mar 2012 20:21

Sorry. An error has occurred

The page you were trying to load has experienced an error. This error has been logged and will be investigated.

so no copy to support

Maybe we should send for Sarah Lund

:-P

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Mar 2012 00:20

we need pest exterminators - a MAJOR fumigation job