Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what 'appened to contacts?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Mar 2012 18:27

Another fine mess Stanley.

Now that sign on seems to be working properly maybe Estelle (who seems to read this board from time to time) could persuade Phil & Co. to fix some more of the functional mess that the "developers" have made as they aim to make the site look nice regardless of destroying functionality.

I am talking about CONTACTS. Yes, I know that this has been raised recently. I have just tried to use it for real and it is even worse than I thought. The idea seems to be that all and any need can be provided via the "search" function. In a pigs eye it can.

This functionality needs to be restored urgently:

a. Sort by contact name by clicking on the menu bar
b. Having found a contact display the thread of messages to/from that contact by date without any further mucking about
c. (bonus) list all other contacts with the same common relative as the one currently on focus
d. (bonus for 10) in the tree matches screen list the full member name rather than just John, MillieMollyMandy etc.

There are plenty of other things that could be done as well of course.

Just a thought but does somebody in Genes just like turning something what used to be an incredibly easy to use site into a series of irritations ? Ay used to full of gotchas, which were even more irritating as it costs more. Ay seems to be working towards greatly improved ease of use and reliability. Sadly GenesRU is going quite the other way. It has been rated as less annoying than Genie though ;-) What lessons from RootsTech are actually making the user experience of GenesRU any better ?

It is now 7 weeks since Phil Moire's last blog update, not counting a couple of posts.