Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please moderate the Find Living Relatives board

Page 3 + 1 of 5

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 30 Apr 2012 19:46

Estelle, with respect, it won't make a scrap of difference how many times the guidelines are added to or re-worded if people don't look at them before they post, and it is quite clear, and has been explicitly stated by some, that many don't.

I give as example a poster who has said they have posted 3 times and the first two were reported...they didn't know WHY!

There really is no point in removing posts without explaining to the poster why it's gone because they just come back and post the same again, often with even more detail that shouldn't be there.

It's a case of expecting experienced members to act as moderators and TRY and protect what might be vulnerable people...is that fair?

I was given the reply that pre-post moderation would unfortunately mean posters might have to wait for a whole weekend before their post appeared... is that really such a long time to wait to ensure everyone's rights are protected to some extent?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 Apr 2012 18:25

Thank you.

"the Success Board is moderated differently. Posts are approved before we add them to the site.This is to make sure that only success stories are added rather than look-up requests."

- I appreciated that, which was why I requested that the find living relatives board be moderated in the same way as the success board.

"With regard to the Find Living Relatives board, we are going to update our message board guidelines. When a post is sent in for review, the team may remove it. Or they will go in and simply amend the post to make sure that all sensitive information has been removed."

- the principle is good. However, if a thread was approved before being added, there would be no need for it to be reported for review. Occasionally, sensitive information is in the title, not solely in the text of the thread. Also, once sensitive information has been posted, even after it has been removed, it can still be found on the internet.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 30 Apr 2012 16:10

Thanks, Estelle.

Gwynne

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 30 Apr 2012 15:43

Hi everyone,
firstly, the Success Board is moderated differently. Posts are approved before we add them to the site.This is to make sure that only success stories are added rather than look-up requests.
With regard to the Find Living Relatives board, we are going to update our message board guidelines. When a post is sent in for review, the team may remove it. Or they will go in and simply amend the post to make sure that all sensitive information has been removed.
Kind regards,
Estelle

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 Apr 2012 14:50

Please, Genes Reunited, give this serious matter your urgent attention with a positive response. This public site has been flooded recently with details of a personal nature.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2012 23:15

:-D

actually, Reggie ............... I have to admit that most of my responses from GR on a Monday arrive in the late afternoon, but before 4:30 pm

I have assumed that they have been dealing with much more important matters before that, so I like to give them the benefit of the doubt :-D

coffee, tea or .............?????

Reggie

Reggie Report 29 Apr 2012 21:47

As early as that, Sylvia?

On a serious note, I agree wholeheartedly with the views expressed about the content of many of the posts on the FLR board, and the need for something to be done about it.

The potential for causing distress - if not actual harm - is immeasurable.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2012 21:18

well, it is the weekend

can't expect them to do anything before Monday morning 8:30 am, can we?

:-P :-P

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Apr 2012 11:43

Really does need some feedback from the Team

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Apr 2012 09:41

I won't either, Sylvia.

My understanding is that there is a register where birth mothers can add their names if they would welcome contact. Surely that's where those seeking should go first, rather than a website open to the world.

If women were promised privacy that promise should be kept, no matter what the circumstances of conception. Unless the mothers register that they would like to be found.

Gwynne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Apr 2012 22:20

Gwynne

That's a horrifying story

and just one of the many reasons why I will not help to find living relatives .................... I put myself in the place of the mother and wonder how I would feel.

sylvia

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Apr 2012 08:08

I also think the board should be moderated. I'm horrified to see the full names of people posted on a board that google can find very easily.

Some birth mothers would not welcome contact for very good reason. I have a friend in that position. She managed to get her life together after a lot of therapy and now has a happy life with a loving family. None of them know about the baby she gave up for adoption. If she told them about the child she would have to tell them how it was conceived and the circumstance were horrific.

She has a right to the privacy she was promised when she chose adoption over abortion.

Gwynne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Apr 2012 03:44

jax

I think they stopped moderating posts on the Success board when they made all the changes last August

I certainly remember looking at the board up to the middle of last year and seeing no new posts for days, then there would be several appearing all at once.

IF they had been holding posts for moderating, those strange advertising ones would never have appeared!

sylvia

jax

jax Report 28 Apr 2012 01:46

So why did we get all those weird ones in the early hours? plus there have been a couple that were not quite complementry about what they had found.

Maybe it all changed when they did the makeover...The emails that informed us a post/thread had been rr'd certainly did

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Apr 2012 01:39

GB

Yes, the posts on the Success Board were delayed before posting. The guidelines used to say something like "deferred for 24 hours for monitoring".

In practice, it was usually between 1 and 4 days before a post appeared on the board ......... and they often arrived in batches!

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Apr 2012 00:12

Had forgotten that

jax

jax Report 28 Apr 2012 00:09

I dont think the Success board is delayed nor moderated as such...as there are so few posts on there it would not take long to read through them each morning.

The Spam ones were posted a while back and it was down to us the "paying members" to report them

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Apr 2012 23:43

Am I right in thinking that the Success Board posts were "delayed" before they appeared ?

If that was the case, or might still be, then surely that can be done on the Find Living Relatives Board.

So yes a good idea

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2012 19:43

This is a really tricky situation

But far too much personal information is being posted ............... and that needs to be sorted out before GR is sued by someone!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Apr 2012 19:40

We never had this problem until the boards were 'amended' and the Find Living Relatives appeared.

There are also similar incidents occurring on the Facebook page as well.

Then there is the problem as to whether those looking for relatives are genuine.

Must agree with Joy though, this is a very tricky situation