Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please moderate the Find Living Relatives board

Page 4 + 1 of 5

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 3 May 2013 11:58

For the success board, rather than moderation, a security box could be installed were you have to enter the randomly generated word or letters, or numbers or combination. This is usually enough to deter spam.

I can understand the need to find living relatives and it can be a very rewarding experience however, without having moderation on this board the person being sought personal information is being bandied about without much concern as to whether or not that person would be happy.

It is also of concern to me that members just hand over information willy nilly without investigating the back story. When I was a free member I found myself reporting a thread where an 82 year old man was being sought by his grand children. A little bit of investigation revealed that the person looking for him was not his grandchildren, they were not even his great grandchildren, not uncle, great uncle. The relationship was so tenuous I doubted whether or not he had even met the person searching (as they claimed). This 82 year old, potentially vulnerable man was put at risk by well meaning members. I would ask those that are handing over information that they do a little bit of back work to prove that the person is related as claimed and also bear in mind that not everyone wishes to be found. There may be very serious reasons why they shouldn't be found and should be taken into consideration before handing over the information.

KenSE

KenSE Report 4 May 2013 09:35

No TootyFruity, that would not have deterred the spammers. That system is for foiling spam generated by computers. The attacks on the Success board must have been done by a Standard member who would have had no problem typing in the security digits.

The point is that pre-moderating the success board only takes a Genes' employee a few minutes per week. To do the same for FLR would require most of one employee's time and mean the board could only operate during office hours.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 May 2013 10:31

I accept that a security box is not going to deter spammers which are not computer generated however, I still maintain that if any board needs moderation it is FLR.

As there are so few posts on the Success Board why not let the members use this as they do the others and report any spam.

IMHO KenSE, just because a couple of staff will need to be hired to moderate that board is no excuse not to do so. Brightsolid is a big player and as such should take responsibility and moderate that board.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 May 2013 17:12

This thread has gone on for a long time and the real reasons for the request are becoming lost in the mists of time.

Could we please have a clear and concise explanation as to the benefits to the GR population as a whole for having this particular board moderated?