Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it not bad for the image of GR?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 May 2012 08:25

After one member of the abuse team decides a reported thread can be reinstated, when the same thread is reported again after its reinstatement, a (presumably) different member of the team decides to remove it.

That, to me, is bad for the reputation and the image of GR.

The occurrence of this happening yesterday was not the first time.

Either a thread or post meets the criteria for removal, or it does not.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 24 May 2012 09:31

Quite agree Joy,

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 May 2012 09:32

Totally agree Joy, and furthermore some threads that have been removed including one of mine that definitely did not break any of GR's T & C

You GR are not policing the reported threads/post's with any consistency fairness or logic, and little common sense would also help

it's time you stop using and quoting T&C as an excuse

You say at the top of this board
We will be unable to respond to each post individually, but we will be checking the suggestions regularly and taking your suggestions on board.

we understand that you may not be able to respond to all post's? but you only have to look at this board to see that you don't even bother to respond on all threads, and when you do your response usually totally misses the point,

I just don't see the point of this suggestions board if you are going to carry on ignoring the concerns of your members

If you don't want positive constructive suggestions then don't ask for them

Roy

Island

Island Report 24 May 2012 09:41

I doubt they'll lose any sleep over it Joy as I have come to the conclusion that they don't give a stuff what the members think.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 May 2012 10:59

I would just add that it is not necessary to breach the t's and c's for a post / thread to be removed. It can also be removed if it is breach of the Guidelines for message board use which supplements those terms.

for example the clause ."...cause (or be capable of causing) trouble, upset or offence to anyone..." is especially broad reaching and open to interpretation.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 May 2012 11:05

I've got a few weeks left on my subs.......... wondering if it's worth renewing.

Some of the reasons............

I've never been RR'd, but have seen posts which have been Reported for no good reason... and not replaced. This is NOT good enough.

I'm fed up with the site - it used to be good, now it's a shambles.

I'm fed up being fobbed off with stupid excuses.

I'm fed up with GR ignoring existing members and trying to get NEW members by "blowing their own horn" on Facebook - especially when they crow about the wonderful help given on the boards. That wonderful help is given by the members they seem to be ignoring.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 May 2012 11:06

IGP, yes i do no that and my post that was RR'd did not breached the Guidelines,

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 May 2012 11:09

Scozz, agree 100%

Roy

Island

Island Report 24 May 2012 11:20

You and me both Scozz. My subs is up for renewal in a couple of weeks.

I agree on all of your points.

IGP, I had a post reported and removed and I can say 100% that it did not breach any T&Cs or message board guidelines.

It seems just one person could say they are offended by, for example "the cat sat on the mat" and GR would remove it. This is farcical and insulting to other members.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 May 2012 19:13

IGP ................

The one that was rr'd, reinstated, almost immediately rr'd again , then removed entirely yesterday was most certainly NOT against any T&C's that I could see

HOWEVER ................. I believe that the category Other in a RR request allows one to say that they find a particular post/thread to be "personally objectionable" is an open-ended possible problem.

On the one hand it is needed ................. I used this very same Other and "personally objectionable" a couple of weeks ago ........ but I followed the 2 words with a detailed explanation of why (it was a personal attack on me).

On the other hand, it seems that those 2 words could be used with no explanation ........... and this could result in posts and threads being removed.

It is needed, I think?, but possibly more attention needs to be paid to ensure that it is not being used as a personal vendetta against the poster/s

The thread in question was a funny thread on vaseline ....... on General Chat, where much worse things have been posted!

The reinstatement followed by a second RR, followed by removal of the thread definitely shows a lack of common thought

Get your act together GR!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 May 2012 22:08

just posted on Joy's thread on FB where they posted that the team had thought removing the thread was the best option ................... lots of VERY angry posts on that thread as a result %3A-D

This is the response from GR, posted about 10 minutes ago .................

Hi everyone - I'm very sorry for the upset this has caused. It has only just come to my attention, but I will be speaking to the team involved and making sure that there are consistent reasons as to when and why threads are permanently removed. This is an awkward situation for us because what some may deem as 'banter', others may find offensive. But this is no excuse for the inconsistent decisions. The boards are meant to be a place for fun, safe and friendly chat and we do our best to ensure this is how they are used but with thousands of posts a day this is can be a difficult task. Katie - Product Manager.

------------------------------

she does have a point re banter for some might be offensive to others ............... although no-one has to read any thread that seems as though it might to offensive

let's hope that things change %3A-D

sylvia

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 1 Jun 2012 14:11

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1301176

"Hi everyone,

I am just posting this response that I added to a facebook thread in response to a post so that even if you are not on facebook you can see the reply.

Hi everyone - I'm very sorry for the upset this has caused. It has only just come to my attention, but I will be speaking to the team involved and making sure that there are consistent reasons as to when and why threads are permanently removed. This is an awkward situation for us because what some may deem as 'banter', others may find offensive. But this is no excuse for the inconsistent decisions. The boards are meant to be a place for fun, safe and friendly chat and we do our best to ensure this is how they are used but with thousands of posts a day this is can be a difficult task. Katie - Product Manager."

Before that in facebook:
"we're really sorry if you are unhappy with the way a request review has been handled. I will pass your concerns on to the team who deal with Request Reviews. In this case they did feel that the best option was to remove thread as it was becoming quite out of hand and causing quite a lot of unnecessary work for the team."

"GR, if it was "causing quite a lot of unnecessary work for the team.", why was it reinstated (24 hours after the initial report for review)?
There has been frequent inconsistency when one member of the abuse team reinstates, and another removes it later. Either a thread or post meets the criteria for removal, or it does not."

After it:
"Thank you for responding, Katie. Consistency is essential for future actions by the abuse team to help repair some of the damage done to the image and reputation of the site. Ensuring that the boards are used in the way you describe can only be done by the site being moderated (I keep nagging about this as you may be aware), as is done effectively in other sites. However, concerning "thousands of posts a day"; we shall have to agree to differ about that."

tanglewood

tanglewood Report 7 Jun 2012 11:52

The image and reputation has been shot to s...... smithereens by Genes themselves. I am gathering as much info as I can regarding their product which has not been fit for purpose since I purchased it, there response is, I cannot have a refund because I have accessed their system, but, how would I know there was a problem if I didn't access system? :-(