Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 1 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Reggie

Reggie Report 25 Aug 2012 10:04

John

Do you realise that there is a dedicated thread for suggestions about RECORDS?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Aug 2012 11:20

A new board perhaps called Computer Help or Technology Help

Threads on General Chat get lost if any one needs help with their computer or TV etc

Reggie

Reggie Report 25 Aug 2012 11:25

Get rid of the emoticons which can be added to posts.

People use them instead of manners

Margee

Margee Report 25 Aug 2012 13:36

I'm not sure that this board will accomplish what it intends,

For instance one person can make a suggestion which GR will take note of but there could be hundreds who are absolutely opposed to that suggestion but are not allowed to say so.

My suggestion would be that before GR makes any changes they post what that change is and allow people to say yay or nay. GR should then do what the majority wants even if it means cancelling the proposed change.

Reggie

Reggie Report 25 Aug 2012 23:15

Wonderful idea.............in theory.

The new tree was supposedly put out for consultation.....but did GR take any notice of the negative feedback?

The number of people who SAY they like the new tree is infinitessimal........but we still got lumbered with it

Reggie

Reggie Report 25 Aug 2012 23:18

John

The reason for your solitary post on the Records thread is that the vast majority of GR members have no experience of GR Records, and are therefore not qualified to make comments - or suggestions

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Aug 2012 10:32

Before releasing any change, revision or new element of Genes Reunited software ensure that it works equally well and correctly with the latest versions of the 3 most commonly used internet browsers of the day.

Today I believe that these are Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. That of course might change tomorrow but in the meantime issues such as display problems and accessibility should be avoided.

Francesca

Francesca Report 26 Aug 2012 12:17

HELP CENTRE - EXPORTING GEDCOMS: would it be possible to produce an expanded version of the guidance about exporting Gedcoms please.
An 'Idiot's Guide to Gedcoms' would be very much welcomed by many of your less technically minded customers who wish to take their family trees elsewhere. Speaking for myself this is currently my number one priority. I'm afraid your current guidance is very brief and some of it's computer jargon is unintelligible to my poor un-technical brain. If such a guide already exists elsewhere perhaps you could signpost where it can be accessed by members with a link at the end of your current 'Exporting Gedcoms' page please.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Aug 2012 22:44

Images of census have buttons to download the record to your computer, attach record to print the record and to add to favourites.

It would be useful if the same format could be applied to the British Newspaper images. Currently the only way to save the image is to right click to save on your computer. Some members may wish to also save it directly to their tree which is not possible in one function.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Aug 2012 10:29

Stephen, None paying members can receive and reply to messages,

They just cannot initiate that contact,

A last active date against a members name would help to identify members who are no longer using the site

Roy

Reggie

Reggie Report 27 Aug 2012 12:06

Amend the 'advanced search' to include a search option for ALL BOARDS

If one does not know on which board a post is located, it is time-consuming to have to look at each BOARD....especially as the 'search' facility is so slow

Roger

Roger Report 27 Aug 2012 14:13

When people do not renew they subscription can you put something by they name so we know there are not still on the site.

Also this is confusing in regards to HOT matches, because I have many unanswered posts which I have answer this way.

Also why do you put NEW next to your hotmatches when people who have been on this site years on the hot matches as it is confusing as well. Just because they have renewed.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 29 Aug 2012 13:53

Re threads with stickies, at the top of the boards:

Could you make them more obvious? - perhaps emboldened?

- such as

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1298341

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1191812

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1267972

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 Aug 2012 08:33

Please resolve the search facility issue.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Aug 2012 10:58

People may not renew their sub. yet remain on the site as free members, able to respond to messages if they wish. So why show their sub status? Pointless.

Gru could if they so wished show when a member (free or not) was last active (Ay do this) but they don't and won't 'cos people would start to get a handle on how much of the dark matter was actually active members.

For instance the home page used to show stats for messages, tree additions etc. This has recently disappeared.

In fact web traffic stats for Gru are easily obtained but it is not possible to post them on this site or even a link as it gets hammered in short order ( in the process showing that these boards are monitored).

What is for sure is that the commercial value of this site in large part is in the activity between members. In part this was the boards but far more importantly shared family history information - the boards have always been a minority interest even in Gru's pomp.

Both have fairly obviously dropped off no end leaving the site with no obvious reason for existing other than to show off the coding skills of Phil Moire and his acolytes and the customer relationship management skills of Estelle et al.

This is so close a rerun of the decline and fall of FRU as to make little difference.

The former success of Gru lay in it being (a) fun and (b) easy, contrasting with the dour approach of some other sites targeted at "serious" genealogists.

Right now it is not fun but boring.

Other than all sorts of gimmicks the recent makeover has not added any core functionality at all but it has made using the tree far more laborious. This is usually the result when ease of coding is more important than product quality. The current offering is so far behind the curve that possibly the product should be covered in the next edition of "Survivors ... " (ice age etc) on BBC2. The apologists for this miserable state of affairs mean well but the others have every right to have a go as there is little "constructive" to be said.

How Gru is to restore the fun element and ease of use is their problem, for sure they won't get it from "Suggestions". Those with the depth of commercial and technical know how are for sure not going to post it for free! They could perhaps start by looking at the market segment they have and not the one they would like, the "facebook generation".

I used to think that the parent company of BrightSolid, D C Thompson, would continue to finance Gru/Fru on the basis that eventually something would turn up. However given that they have called time on the print edition of the Dandy I am not so sure any more.

In the short history of the web there is no recorded instance of a once popular site having lost the plot and then recovered. Momentum is all.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 30 Aug 2012 15:10

I don't always agree with Rollo ;-)

but this stands out as a comment which deserves noting seperately as an example of a good common sense suggestion. lest it be lost in the long er post...

"They could perhaps start by looking at the market segment they have and not the one they would like, the "facebook generation".

I'd further suggest that more attention is paid to the GR FaceBook page...every day on there I see newcomers floundering about looking for information on 'how to' find relatives/ancestors, where to begin etc .... too often they go unanswered, where a dedicated GR staff member could perhaps convert the poster's initial query into an actual subscription.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Aug 2012 19:24

I have several points, and am combining them into this one post.

1. There needs to be a much more obvious distinction between the body of a post and the Researching interest of the poster.

The current single line to separate them is insufficient, and easy to ignore.

Please ensure there is more of a differentiation ........ eg, by reducing the font size, or possibly style (italics???) in the Researching section.

2. On threads, the buttons under the Reply box are set so that Preview is to the left, white lettering on dark turquoise while Submit is to the right, dark green lettering in a whitish box.

In Messages, Send is to the left, white lettering on dark turquoise, and Draft is to the right, turquoise lettering on a whitish background.

It is easy to make a mistake.

The dominant box (because of the colour) is actually the dark turquoise with white lettering.

Please could you standardise the positions on Threads and Messages ........ and may I suggest that Send and Submit are made the dominant ones .............. white lettering on a dark turquoise background.

3. My Threads is acting up again ............ getting more Errors when trying to open, and ALWAYS takes longer to open than any of the other Boards.

4. The background colour of posts on threads is still too light. Please can you darken another 2 or 3 shades for those of us who are having difficulty.

5. Home Page is still cluttered looking, and not at all inviting. I avoid it as much as I can ................. it needs to be made more attractive. I suggest, removal of some of the information.

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 30 Aug 2012 20:32

Re searching for matches.

There's already a posting about numbers of pages, I'll only add that I have 73 pages of Other Trees, so an alphabetical list would make things easier.

When we search for matching names (I'm NOT talking about Hot Matches), we get a list of members who have the same names (and yob & pob if we've given those details); next to their name is YES/NO, which shows if previous contact has been made.

I often want to view someone's tree again. This can be a problem with female members, as the surname on the list may not be the same as the surname on the tree. For example, I may have to trawl 38 Margarets to find the right one!

I suggest the YES also has a View Tree option next to it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Aug 2012 08:32

I suggest that the color scheme in use as recently as Jun 2012 for the new tree is far better. At least give people a choice.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog/phil-moir/archive/2012/5/29/technical-update-29th-may-2012

Roger

Roger Report 31 Aug 2012 09:46

Can anyone explain why on this thread half way down peoples littl pictures go narrow and the writting bit goes longer, who has messed about with it.