Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 5 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Oct 2012 23:53

I searched for some names...... found a match.......... sent a contact message.....

I first had to get rid of that RUDE message (Request to view your tree) and composed a proper message.

At the end of the RUDE message was a name....... my BOARD NAME.

I checked My Account. Where it has " Use Board Name for Messages" I have indicated NO!!!!!!

Suggest this glitch be fixed.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2012 23:55

Scozz

Most of us DO want our Board Name used on pms :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 31 Oct 2012 08:21

I think many members with problems, would find it helpful if they checked the FAQs section and Phil's Blog before commenting on here.

These are being updated all the time and well worth a read. Allow time though :-D

Nick

Nick Report 13 Nov 2012 17:39

Hi I hope this the correct list for adding suggestions,would be possible,re searching family trees,that the married name,be included,in a possible fellow researcher.

Regards

Nick

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Nov 2012 04:52

Nick

do you mean that married name for members of GR be included???

You must not be aware that MOST female members of GR do not wish their married names to be available to anyone, and in fact many of us do not even have our maiden names showing.

Privacy, and harassment issues are the reason.

sylvia

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Nov 2012 21:24

please can we have posts in the keyword section indate order. latest 1st as we used to. makes it easier to check regularly for new messages
Barbara

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 Nov 2012 19:35

A suggestion - that, when appropriate, apologies are made by GR staff when they have made mistakes and that their mistakes are put right, please.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 30 Nov 2012 22:20

Re "please contact our customer support team who will be very happy to help you: support@genesreunited.co.uk.", if satisfactory replies are not received, and the team refuses to continue the "conversation", what would be the next step to take, please?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2012 04:01

Good question, Joy.

It would be good for us to know the next step to take.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Dec 2012 12:15

For me, the next step would be for the 'suggestions' boards to be removed.

As it is rare for any member of the team to comment on them, I feel they are way past their usefulness now.

wisechild

wisechild Report 1 Dec 2012 14:51

The suggestions board would appear to have been a dead duck from the start.
The few suggestions that the Genes team picked up on at the beginning have faded into memory because they were never acted on & since the summer, there has been no indication that the team are even looking at them.
It has just degenerated into a place to lodge complaints because the team seem to ignore complaints notified by any other means.At best the complainant gets a standard response, which may or may not solve their problem.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Dec 2012 16:14

The Team has been excellent and very responsive to these Community Boards for nearly 4 months now. Always coming on and commenting about how good the suggestions are and how very hard they are all working back at HQ to make this site really professional, popular and state-of-the-art.

It would be even more excellent without customers. Members wreck any well-planned and forward thinking company.

You are doing just great, Genes. Keep right on to the end of the road. :-)

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 1 Dec 2012 18:42

As sensibly suggested by Glitter Baby:
http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1308709

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Dec 2012 09:33

Dear Genes Team

When there are a spate of reports on posts (as there were on 2nd December) can they please be reviewed individually and properly.

If I was reviewing, I would automatically reinstate every post refreered on that date and see if there is a pattern. If there is, I would take action against the referrer(s) instead of the posters referred.

I could not see one of several on Sunday 2nd December 2012 that merited a review at all.

Yours sincerely

John

Roger

Roger Report 14 Dec 2012 12:04

I have noticed that when I send messages to people re a possible match, some of the messages remain unopened. This suggests that those people have changed their email addresses without informing Genesreunited. I suggest that you should send an occasional email to remind people to inform you of any email address change.

Lynski

Lynski Report 14 Dec 2012 21:24

Roger,

This has been discussed many times. For example, see this thread -

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1314124

Tink44

Tink44 Report 29 Dec 2012 13:24

When doing a "Search" , is it possible to fade, italicise or something similar etc the item being viewed to show it has been read? I often find I have numerous identical names, dates and birth places and I lose track and forget which one I viewed. I believe Ancestry.co.uk do this!!

Tink44

Tink44 Report 29 Dec 2012 13:24

When doing a "Search" , is it possible to fade, italicise or something similar etc the item being viewed to show it has been read? I often find I have numerous identical names, dates and birth places and I lose track and forget which one I viewed. I believe Ancestry.co.uk do this!!

Angela

Angela Report 14 Jan 2013 02:15

I would really like to be able to put some sort of symbol on all of my direct line ancestors, so that I don't get 'lost' in my tree and others can quickly see where our common ancestor is.

Up until now I have been adding * after their names, but the new format will no longer accept this.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 19 Jan 2013 23:14

I have seen a thread created by Victor (Gloucestershire Archives) on the Find Ancestors Board and it reminded me of a suggestion I had put forward on 6 Sept 2012 at 09.25 following on from Joy Kentish Maid's suggestion as follows:

Also JoyKentishMaid suggested on the 25/8/12 at 08.37:

"There are many useful tips in the genealogy chat board, many by the ever helpful Jonesey. Please create a separate tips board for them."

I really feel that this is a suggestion that should be considered - for all of Jonesey's 'Tips of the Day' and Victor's offer of lookups to be placed at the top of the Board and Stickied for existing and new members to be able to locate quickly and then there would not be a need to keep 'nudging' them.

If Jonesey's 'Tips' would over fill the first page on the board then could they be in one stickied thread with links to the individual threads (obviously with a subject heading/indicator above each link).

I think that these would be 'quick wins' for the Team at GR and would benefit a large number of members of the GR Community.

Thank you