Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 6 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KenSE

KenSE Report 26 Sep 2012 08:04

The page number request was my post on this thread on 24 Aug 2012 18:56.

Thanks for sorting it Phil.

Edit
Also requested on:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1293072

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2012 06:32

Good morning Phil!

you're up early :-D

Thank you for that little switch

It looks good!!

sylvia

philmoir

philmoir Advisor Report 26 Sep 2012 06:20

I can't find the original posting, but someone quite rightly commented that it was wrong to have the the paging on a thread being below the add reply. I have just patched live with a fix to swap them around.

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 24 Sep 2012 16:17

Hello Roger, you shouldn’t have to use the compatibility view at all to view the tree or use the site. I use the site with both Internet Explorer and Chrome and both browsers work well for me.
I had a chat with Phil, our technical lead, earlier and he did say there a few things they can look at to try and improve the speed. This is very hard for us to replicate though. We all use the site n a daily basis. Some of us work in the office and our customer support team work from home. They don't seem to have the problems that I read about on these boards.
I know some of you are heavy users, and if you have pages of contacts or threads you have posted on, this will slow down the site for you. You may also see error messages as you move around the site. But much work has been done lately to improve performance.
If the problems are just tree-related this is something else. But again, we can take a look to see why it affects some members and not others. It makes it trickier trying to resolve problems remotely too. That's why sometimes we just have to ask lots of questions.
I am really sorry to hear that some of you find the site so much slower these days. We do want you all to enjoy using the site. We would always suggest you contact our customer support team to report any problems you are experiencing. They do let us know about any bugs and issues with the site.
Kind regards,
Estelle

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Sep 2012 15:16

Oh dear should I bother to mention about error messages when trying to view my threads or the number of times lately I have had to login into this site. See my posting on this thread in August about still getting error messages when trying to view My Threads.

Photo competition if this was to be run on Facebook but only posted on GR so that members who do not use FB could enter then why was the Terms & Condtions not included on this site

UPDATED 29 Sept 2012
Just had to login again. Strange when I never logout.
Happening 2 or 3 times a week for about a month now.

Roger

Roger Report 24 Sep 2012 14:41

Estelle I was and many others were on the old site before you started messing around with it.

The old tree and set up was far easier to use and see than the present one and worked on all browsers without problems.

I don't see why I have to use Compatiable view because on all the others sites I visit I don't have to, so it is something YOUR so called expert IT blokes have caused.

So please listen to us who are VERY VERY unhappy at what you have done as we are not all IT experts and rely on you lot at Genes to cater for us and more importantly listen to us who are not IT experts.

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 24 Sep 2012 13:48

Hi everyone, thank you for your posts. I do apologise for not replying sooner.
With regard to the competition, this was something we ran on our Facebook page. However, we wanted to open it up to those of you who do not use Facebook, hence our posts on the site. There will be times when we run a compeition on Facebook or Twitter, for the people who follow us on those sites. Equally, we email our members with offers, which aren't available elsewhere, and put competitions in our newsletter.
Glitter Baby - you said in your above post:
Please try and show some respect to the members who are still willing to make suggestions as to how to improve the site despite having to put up with some problems for almost a year.

Please could you be more specific with the details? We know we had performance issues a while ago, but these have been resolved. We are aware that the tree is quite slow for some members and I have asked for further information on another post on this board. It would be a big help to me if you could please be a little more specific. What problems are you having? I will keep an eye on this thread as one thing we do want to do is get things right and make sure our members are happy with the site. If you would rather do this privately then please send me a message through the site and I'll pass my email address on to you.

Kind regards,

Estelle

Susan

Susan Report 24 Sep 2012 09:59

We did get this one GB over the weekend .

philmoir Report 22 Sep 2012 16:12
Sorry, this may be considered one of these sporadic responses from myself, but please believe when I say that me and my dev team have been working very hard to make the right improvements for all users of the site. If I explain it this way. If we were Ford Motor Cars and after designing the Model T and everyone liked it but we decided job done no more changes we would be out of business. Change is inevitable, and we have to try and work out what is right for members and what is right to stay competitive in the online genealogy business. Some members like the change some dont. We have to try and cover both camps. The tree is now developing and improving far faster in terms of features and core functionality that ever before. It is worth rechecking every couple of weeks as fixes are being deployed as soon as they are ready. The main site has new features coming. And when we do make improvements to the boards I will be reviewing all the suggestions that have been made. We cannot please everyone but we are trying to give you a better genealogy site for both family history research and discussion.I hope you stay with us.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Sep 2012 09:08

Several times recently, people have asked for help or information. When posters have responded, the OP has not responded in any way.

Very frustrating. Same thing seems to happen on these Suggestions Boards

Simon

Simon Report 23 Sep 2012 18:01

Glitterbaby,

One could equally ask why there is no mention of the photo competition in the Announcements on the Home page which currently just shows:

Design Adjustments Applied : Darker grey header, profile on post compressed. We have applied some minor adjustments ... 9 Aug 2012
New Look Site - Feedback So Far : Hi Everyone, Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback on the new design. ... 2 Aug 2012 :-P

Surely what is on the Home page should be the most recent announcements?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Sep 2012 21:58

GR Team

The three new suggestion threads will have been on the boards 4 weeks tomorrow. The only reply from any member of the team was Estelle, who had been on holiday, but no feedback whatsoever from anyone else.

Please try and show some respect to the members who are still willing to make suggestions as to how to improve the site despite having to put up with some problems for almost a year.

This site only works because of the help given to others by the members.

BUT the GR Team only seem to want to kick its members up the a*** as no one wants to take responsibility for answering anything !!!!!

PLEASE it is about time that someone replied on the boards.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Sep 2012 20:11

and it is still showing!!

approximately 20:10 UK time

Topic Posted by Post Date
Old post ??????? nysdentomm 17 Sep 2012 07:49 PM
by nysdentomm
???????????????????????????????????, ????????? ... ???????????????????????????????????
????????? ...

I sent an email to GR about 3 hours ago re that thread

sylvia

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 19 Sep 2012 09:36

When a post in the success board has been reported for review, please treat the post in the same way as one reported in other boards, ie remove the text.

Currently, until the post is opened when the text is not then visible, one reported reads:

Topic Posted by Post Date
????? nysdentomm 17 Sep 2012 07:50 PM
by nysdentomm
, ???? ???????, ?????, ???????????? ????? ...
???? ???????
?????
???????????? ????? ...

And the above was reported at 4.45pm, BST 18th September.

Another still showing now:

New listing montclarmoncler 17 Sep 2012 07:33 PM
by montclarmoncler
Chinese clothing | dress | women clothing | Fairy ... Chinese clothing | dress | women clothing | Fairy ...

Yet again the success board is not being moderated.

Edited:
still present in the success board 10.50am BST:

Success Stories :
???????
Watch This
Profile Posted by Options
Post Date
nysdentomm Report 17 Sep 2012 19:49
???????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????
??????? ?????????
??????? ?????
??????? ?????
??????? ???? ????
??????? ???? ????

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Sep 2012 01:34

PLEASE, GR

I am sick and tired of getting the ERROR message whenever I try to post a message.

The last 2 days have been as bad for this as they ever were months ago

Is it too much to ask that you solve the problem??????

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Sep 2012 01:00

I do not get their newsletter

so I did not know

I agree ......... it is wrong that the full information re the competition is posted ONLY on FB

as you say .............once again FB is given preference

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Sep 2012 11:47

Hi Sylvia,

The information concerning the photo competition was copied and pasted from the Annoucement Board

BUT the terms and conditions to enter this competition are not showing on the annoucement instead GR say they are on Facebook.

Once again this site is second best to Facebook. Why should GR members have to use Facebook for information concerning competitions on this site :-(

September newsletter from GR says:

We'll be running a competition on our Facebook page and our message boards asking you to upload your photo and share with us a little information about when and where it was taken. It could be holiday photos of your great grandparents, a family holiday in Butlins or even a summer BBQ.

So again Facebook is put before GR

Maureen

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2012 01:23

GB

it's on Announcements!

only the "new" designation no longer seems to appear.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2012 22:59

Facebook

Would the Team stop posting information on that site that should be shown first on this site such as the terms and conditions of the photo competition:

It has been a while since we last ran a photo competition, so what better time than the end of the summer season to relive our holidays! Let's dig out those old holiday photos past and present. A fantastic hamper is up for grabs, including a Platinum subscription to Genes Reunited! We also have a collection of family history charts kindly donated by the website Genealogy Printers. Just send your photo to competitions@genesreunited.co.uk with a brief description of when and where it was taken. The competition ends on Monday 24th September. Good luck!
Terms and conditions apply and they can be found here - https://www.facebook.com/notes/genes-reunited/holiday-photo-competition-tcs/503240419705600.

KenSE

KenSE Report 13 Sep 2012 12:28

Since Genes direct members with problems to the support team, would it be too much to ask that the team read what is actually in the emails sent to them.

I sent them some observations I had made re searching for people on the tree. I started of by stating my OS & Browser and noting the fact that I have Compatibility View switched off. At the end I said I didn't need a reply.

Of course I got one and you can guess what it said.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Sep 2012 09:23

People like to customise things to suit their own taste and needs ... workplace, car, mobile phone, OS desktop, browser, WinAmp etc etc ....

Thanks to CSS it has become much easier for any site to offer themes and skins.

It is then somewhat curious that Gru does not allow users to customise the site to suit their own preferences. I suggest that this policy be changed.