Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Posts reported. Updated: moderation needed

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 3 Dec 2012 18:22

Why is it that some posters are notified that her or his thread or post has been removed, some are not, some are given warnings, some are not?

The amount of inconsistency is increasing.

Edited in post timed at 11:27 today.

Gins

Gins Report 3 Dec 2012 18:39

I can’t answer that Joy.

There should be policies in place, to allow consistency, it should not be an 'individuals' decision

There should also be an 'appeals' procedure so that people can 'appeal' a 'decision'!

:-S

jax

jax Report 3 Dec 2012 19:07

There is an appeal procedure Gins

You appeal

They ban you

Simples :-D

Gins

Gins Report 3 Dec 2012 19:29

There should be an official appeals procedure, with the detail laid out on this website.

How you appeal, who to, and what you might expect in way of procedure.

There should also be specific examples of 'what' breaches' the T&Cs, just as in any professional business

jax

jax Report 3 Dec 2012 19:38

I had a look at the T&Cs today and I cannot see clause 5 (which I appently broke)....but then I have enough trouble reading more than five lines before I lose concentration, and was not going to read through that lot

Is there a list somewhere which is easy to find?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Dec 2012 19:43

Several months ago I had a post RR'd, and then removed

I received a notification that the post had been removed, and that warning c&p'd the post involved. I was also told what was wrong, which T&C was involved.

I thought then that GR must have changed its process to let people know WHAT they had done wrong.

It seems not ...........

People are still having posts removed, without any information as to which post or what was wrong with it ............

.......... AND to make it worse, not only is there no appeal, but GR refuses to discuss the matter, even with the person whose post was removed.

There are no privacy concerns involved when discussing one of MY posts with ME.

There should certainly be consistency in how and why posts are removed, how members are notified, and the information given to members. The information should include the post involved (by c&p'ing it), and why it is being removed.

There should be an appeals process which involves more than repetitive "we cannot discuss this matter with you".

There should be a detailed information on how to appeal, posted on this web site .......... not simply buried in the T&C's.

sylvia

Gins

Gins Report 3 Dec 2012 20:01

The Fifth Amendment!!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Dec 2012 05:57

According to the Message Board guidelines, which supplement the T's and C's, warnings are only sent when the abuse is considered to be severe.

Clause 5 is also part of the MBG's.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 4 Dec 2012 08:57

Judgement of severity is inconsistent ,and at times wrong in my opinion.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Dec 2012 09:55

Whilst there will always be grey areas, I certainly agree a bit more clarity on how GR differentiate between abuse and lesser technical infringements would certainly help.

Gins

Gins Report 4 Dec 2012 10:14

I think that most posts that are reported are not posted with the intention of being hateful or rude and the problem, in my eyes, is not knowing 'what' constitutes 'severe'?

There are some posts that I read and do find them offensive. I don’t report them but if I did, how many more members would be banned?

I think it might help if we had more specific guidelines and examples given of what constitutes a breach of the T&Cs

Joy, you're right about, Judgement of severity is inconsistent. Maybe some training for the GR team so that they make a decision to 'warn' someone based on specific guidelines and the decision to warn/ban someone is not made on a 'subjective' opinion?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 4 Dec 2012 11:27

I realise this is not a suggestion as such; so: please, GR staff, use consistency and appropriate judgement. Thank you.

Gins

Gins Report 4 Dec 2012 11:46

Joy, I think it is a 'suggestion'

The suggestion(s) being:

Bring more clarity to your T&Cs
Develop policies/training that allow decisions to be made 'objectively'
Communicate with your customers
Read the whole thread before you delete a post, you have to read it in ‘context’

Thank you :-)

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 4 Dec 2012 15:19

Hello Joy, I am going to copy something I posted on another thread for you, which I think answers your questions.

Our request review system is monitored 7 days a week, which is why you will see posts removed at the weekend.
The team do have RR guidelines to follow. These are very clear about the way deal with request review. The team also do read the whole thread too to make sure they fully understand why something is being reported.
From now on, when a post is reported they will give the poster details of the post reported and also the reason why they removed it.
Kind regards,
Estelle

Gins

Gins Report 4 Dec 2012 16:17

Hi Estelle

Thank you for responding here, much appreciated :-)

Good to hear that the GR team are offering more detail on reported/removed threads. When we didn’t get any reason as to why a post had removed, I likened it to my students...

....it would be like me referring a student’s work and not giving them feedback as to why, the result being there could be no improvement

That said, I still think we need more specific guidelines/examples as what is likely to be removed?

Also, is there an 'appeals' procedure?

Thanks

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 4 Dec 2012 16:44

Hi Gins,

we do have message board guidelines which clearly state what is and isn't acceptable. Here's a link to it:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/contents/messageboardguidelines
These guidelines do cover everything.

If you ever feel a post of yours has been reported without good reason then you can always email abuse@genesreunited.co.uk and they will happily look into this for you.

I hope this answers your questions.

jax

jax Report 4 Dec 2012 16:51

I feel like we are flogging a dead horse with this now.

We would'nt be having this conversation if the abuse team answered the questions

I hope you can understand my pm Estelle as my written word does not always come out as to what I want to say

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 4 Dec 2012 18:06

It does not entirely answer my questions satisfactorily, but thank you for replying.

"The team do have RR guidelines to follow."

- I am aware that the team has guidelines that should be followed. I am also aware that there was a public apology not very long ago by a member of the team for threads / posts having been incorrectly removed by a temporary employee in the abuse team; and incorrect actions have been taken by the team at other times, too.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Dec 2012 21:35

Estelle

thank you for replying

However, I think we are all aware that things do not always work as intended.

It is often unclear which guideline has been overstepped

It is also true that posts are removed when reported under the "Other" section of Abuse ................... and removed unnecessarily!

So, many members are still unaware of what they have done wrong.

It is also true that moderation does not always happen over the weekend ................. every weekend, I see posts that were reported on Friday still showing as awaiting review at 6 am Monday morning! Just this past weekend, I saw 2 on one thread, and 1 post on another thread, waiting that length of time.

It is also true that contacting abuse@genesreunited.co.uk has more often than not resulted in an reply that basically says we cannot discuss this with you ........ catch 22!

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Dec 2012 05:53

Quote ~

From now on, when a post is reported they will give the poster details of the post reported and also the reason why they removed it.

About time!!!!!!

Some people post several times every day, and would have NO IDEA which posting was reported.

As for the previous rule of "not discussing" it..... that was ridiculous! The Phantom RR'r had a wonderful time :-P