Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Keepsafe is behaving strangely

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 2 Feb 2013 18:10

In Phil's Blog

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/blog/phil-moir/archive/2012/10/8/new-feature-focus-keepsafe-and-relative-profiles

He says...

"Private items still appear in search results, in a heavily disguised blurred state, along with the title and a contact link. Non members can perform a search and see public items as thumbnails, but only registered members can see the full details."

Certainly, my understanding was that even if a photo is marked 'Private', if the name matches the search pattern then the photo will be displayed albeit in a very blurred (totally unidentifable) way, with the following information beside it ( - I searched for 'Melville' for example):

Melville

Click here to request the owner's permission to view

Last updated on 22 Jan 2013 18:19
or:

Alexander Melville Bell family

Click here to request the owner's permission to view

Last updated on 29 Jul 2012 14:42

So, Jeremy, if you have uploaded photos to the Keepsafe, even using the default Private marking, the existence of these pictures will be available to others to see.

Try doing a search for 'Photos and media' and search for a random surname, 'Family photos' and 'Private. Not shared with anyone.' and do NOT tick the 'Include own items' box. You will get a selection of blurred out photos matching those criteria. (If you tick the 'include own items' box, the same set of blurred pics appears but also all of your own pictures that match the search criteria will appear unblurred. However, this is just so that you can see your own pictures clearly. they do not appear that way to other members.)

The Search method for photos is not very clever at the moment as it does Not search on the name of persons to whom the photo is linked but on the photo Title. It might be better (more akin to 'Hot matches') if it searched on the linked individuals.

Incidentally, if you 'Click here to request the owner's permission to view' it generates one of those ghastly 'standard' request messages...

"Dear Simon Melville,

Please would you give me access to see the image "xxxxxxx"?

Kind regards,"

Without any reason why the request is being made...

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 1 Feb 2013 09:29

Hi Jennifer,

when you add a photo to your keepsafe the default privacy setting is private, meaning no-one else can see it. In order for other members to find your photos in search results you need to make them public.

To change the privacy settings on one or more photos, when you are viewing your Keepsafe, tick the photos you'd like to make public. This will highlight a privacy box at the top of the page. If you click on this box you'll be able to change the privacy settings for the highlighted photos and make them public. When you make a photo public it means it will appear in the search results when other members search photos and media. Don't forget to give your photos a title, making it easier for other members to see who the photo is of or where it was taken.

If you need any further help please contact our customer support team who will be happy to help you - support@genesreunited.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Estelle

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Feb 2013 00:44

I am having great difficulty with keepsafe. I have put two photos into keepsafe and one into shared media, which my contacts are supposed to be able to view. Sadly they cannot, and nor can I see the photos that they have put in shared media for me to view.

Is there a problem with this? I cannot see what else to do, and finding it very frustrating.

Regards

Jenny

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 15 Jan 2013 22:00

Thank you, Ken.

So, as I had not uploaded the photo that appeared in the keepsafe, the issue remains unresolved.

KenSE

KenSE Report 15 Jan 2013 21:55

I don't think photos can be taken legitimately from your computer.

The point I was making is that on the photo file you upload there is hidden data which may include a description that you have added.

See the following for the sort of info that may be on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 15 Jan 2013 20:10

Does that mean, Ken, that any photos on one's computer can be somehow "taken" by the site and put in the keepsafe?

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Jan 2013 18:08

Andysmum, sorry to disagree. In your case you want people to contact you and have presumably set the privacy option to shared.

In my case, I only want to share the photographs with those people I have given tree access that have a proven family connection.

That is what the word Private means.

If people think that I may be related to them then they can use the tree searches to identify an individual and send me a message giving details of how they are connected.
But they certainly DO NOT need to know I have a photograph on my tree and should NOT be using that alone as a basis for contact.

It seems as if I will need to re-name them all to say.. scan1 to scan 40 inclusive and then keep a file on my system to show who they really are.

Jeremy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Jan 2013 16:14

Jeremy, if the gentleman from Worcester had a name as the photo title and this happened to be the same as a name on the Durham member's tree, then the only way to get corroberative evidence is to ask you.

It's like Hot Matches. Most were no connection, but every so often a new relation was found.

I have no photos etc attached to my tree. All the photos on Keepsafe are unidentified relatives and have been put there in the hope that someone with the same surname might recognise them.

I know it's a long shot, but you never know!

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Jan 2013 14:51

Andysmum

Thanks for that. I seldom use the search toolbar as I find that there are too many options to fit my screen without first toggling full screen.

Having now looked at it, I cannot see the point of sending a request to view based on a picture alone. Most people use the pictures as profiles for people on their trees and there is seldom any meaningful descriptions.
So without knowing to whom the picture is attached..........

In the case I mentioned, my photo was of a gentleman from Worcester and the person who made the request was looking for family in Durham.

Without corroberative evidence, it is waste of time.

Jeremy
, ,

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Jan 2013 08:59

Phil, re

"when we imported all the photos from old sources, the profile photo data and images was stored alongside photos uploaded to trees. Since we couldn't tell if it was previously a tree or profile photo we had to import these as well."

-

I had not uploaded the photo that I forwarded to Rachel.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Jan 2013 22:45

Jeremy, you can search Keepsafe in the same way as you can search trees.

If you put a name in the search box and specify all privacy settings, it brings up all photos with that name somewhere in the description. If the owner has made them private, they are very blurred, but you can then send a message to the owner and ask to see the photo, if you think there is a connection.

As the owner, you can ignore the request, but, as with other contacts, I prefer to answer and find out more before deciding.

JerryH

JerryH Report 11 Jan 2013 17:15

I think that explains a loot. I was wondering how one of my "Jeremy the Bear" profile pics had ended up in there.

But one thing I find disturbing........

I recently received a request from a complete stranger to view a photograph that I had uploaded as "Private, not shared"

How is it that this person could know that I had added a photograph?

This suggests that the info is not as private as I would like and I am therefore considering removing all photos from the keepsafe.

Jeremy

philmoir

philmoir Advisor Report 11 Jan 2013 00:17

Hi all. Trying out our new family toy (iPad) for first time since Santa brought it. Kids and my wife have been hogging it!

Ok, when we imported all the photos from old sources, the profile photo data and images was stored alongside photos uploaded to trees. Since we couldn't tell if it was previously a tree or profile photo we had to import these as well.

If you want to remove them that's quite straightforward. New profile photos are NOT added to keep safe.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 10 Jan 2013 08:58

Well, I have just heard from Rachel who has been on holiday, and she advised me, to my surprise, that the support team's email address cannot accept attachments. Therefore, I shall send the photo again to her today.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Jan 2013 23:46

Thought after reading this thread I would see if anything is in my keepsafe.

Yes the picture of my dogs that I used to have as my avatar.

Strange that one has been saved and not the one I used to have of my grandfather in his army uniform but the dogs was used first.

KenSE

KenSE Report 8 Jan 2013 21:56

Sylvia, jpg files contain metadata some of which is stored by the camera (such as date and settings). Other data can be added to the file by your photo editor.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jan 2013 19:15

My problem is that I did not save any photos to Keepsafe ................ I would not be at all worried if I had been using it.

The 3 photos that were in there, and which I deleted as soon as I saw them, were all originally used as my avatar.

One of them was used as such well before Keepsafe was set up, was replaced by another avatar after a very short time, and well before Keepsafe appeared.

So how did that one in particular get to appear in Keepsafe??

Another was my avatar and was then identified only as "my mother and father with my brother, ca 1929" ......... no names were used on site. Yet the photo in Keepsafe had the full names of the 3 people in it.

Are avatar or profile photos being sent to Keepsafe, and not deleted from there when replaced as the avatar??

Is information being taken somehow from the photos??? The information on the named Keepsafe photo is used on the photo as stored on my own personal computer, but I did not believe that it could be transferred somehow to an internet site!

sylvia

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 8 Jan 2013 16:56

Thank you for replying again, Estelle.The photo was sent on 20 December.

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 8 Jan 2013 16:53

Hello again Joy,

looking at the email correspondence, Rachel asked you to send her a copy of the photo that appeared in your Keepsafe. She did give you her personal email address. You said that the photo you had deleted was your own photo, so I am presuming you still have a copy of it? If you do, please send it to Rachel and she will then create a tracker for you. I know she'd like a copy of the photo to add to the tracker.

Kind regards,

Estelle

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 8 Jan 2013 16:47

Estelle, I deleted one of them; the other that was there (my profile picture) I deleted the day before yesterday.

On 21 December Rachel told me she would give me a tracker number for my reference. On 2 January I asked "Any news on the tracker number?" but thought maybe she was on holiday as there has been no reply.